Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #916 of 3,016
Quote:
Hi there, I'm not an expert but just in case it helps, I also have the Cardas Clear XLR 4 pin. THINKER also has the Cardas Clear XLR 4 pin, and he's terrific at explaining his impressions. (you'll find some in the earlier posts) In my opinion, I suggest you wait for the clear cable to arrive. IT'S WORTH THE WAIT!
Because I'm not technically versed on it, I can only describe my impression - it sounds smooth and silky. Like bathing your ears in cream!!! Unfortunately, I only have the Cardas Clear Light in 1/4 inch so it's difficult to compare directly with 4 pin Clear. The Light in 1/4 inch sounds really fantastic, but the Clear Balanced is a phenomenal step up. Sorry I can't compare them as both balanced.

GET THE CLEAR!!!!!    :)

I did a blind test yesterday between the cardas clear and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5M-8Ft-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD800-with-Balanced-XLR-4pins-CANNON-PLUG-/221219807298?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3381ba6042 and I couldn't tell the difference. I also have the sennheiser HD800 balanced cable on order which I should get in August, I am going to do a blind test between all three and see if I can hear a difference.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #918 of 3,016
Quote:
Omg lmao, thanks for making my day.

beyersmile.png

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #920 of 3,016
Maybe all these means our ears do not deserved expensive cables :p

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #921 of 3,016
Quote:
Maybe all these means our ears do not deserved expensive cables
tongue.gif

I really think cables are a psychological effect that is put on the buyer, especially digital cables, they believe it must be better because it costs more. Analog cables you can make an argument for, but to the extent that some people say is, IMO, an exaggeration and a trick of their mind. 

And don't get me started on power cables, the fact that some people believe a few meters of "special sauce" cable can make up for the thousands of meters of crap cable in their walls and under the ground is just lunacy. As they say though, a sucker is born every day.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #922 of 3,016
Please try to keep this on track. This is the third time your starting a cable debate. Take it to the cable forum. This is not the proper thread for your views on cables. I am interested in what people think about the HDVD800
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #923 of 3,016
Quote:
Please try to keep this on track. This is the third time your starting a cable debate. Take it to the cable forum. This is not the proper thread for your views on cables. I am interested in what people think about the HDVD800
biggrin.gif

Well, I have been using my HDVD800 for close to 20 hours now, and I am very impressed so far. The USB implementation is better then any other I have used before, it's a shame we don't know what it is. I may have to crack open mine just to find out.

I also think that balanced output definitely sounds better the the analog, I did a blind test with the HD800s and I noticed the balanced being much warmer of a sound.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #924 of 3,016
Please try to keep this on track. This is the third time your starting a cable debate. Take it to the cable forum. This is not the proper thread for your views on cables. I am interested in what people think about the HDVD800:D

Haha, I guess the fact sennheiser do not put any cable in my box, makes me a none believer :p

The dac input is a bit of disappointment for me. For optical, it can only handle 24/96, and for usb,it can only handle 24/192 with bitrate less than 5300kbps.
I really wish they put something better on the reciver side cause the DAC does sound very good.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #925 of 3,016
Quote:
Haha, I guess the fact sennheiser do not put any cable in my box, makes me a none believer :p

The dac input is a bit of disappointment for me. For optical, it can only handle 24/96, and for usb,it can only handle 24/192 with bitrate less than 5300kbps.
I really wish they put something better on the reciver side cause the DAC does sound very good.

Check the rectangle cardboard pieces in your box. The power cable is hidden in one of them

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #926 of 3,016
Quote:
...For optical, it can only handle 24/96, and for usb,it can only handle 24/192 with bitrate less than 5300kbps....

Hi AlanHell. I was wondering, where did you get the information that, for USB, it can only handle 24/192 with bitrate less than 5300kbps...?

Just wondering. I looked around and I could not find these specs anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #927 of 3,016
Quote:

Look again and then try it out. the optical CANNOT do 24/96. It can only muster 24/88.2.

This is per the Instruction Manual specs that came with my unit and when I tried optical 24/96, I was getting glitches. It wasn't until I reduced the rate to the documented 88.2 max that the glitches went away.

- Jeff

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #929 of 3,016
Quote:
The DAC is made by Grouplink in HK so people can look up the data for it.  Cost is 100$ for small quantities but far less for volume orders. 

Thanks for the info. Just curious, where on earth did you get this from? Can you post the link. Like to learn more about this.

Thanks again spritzer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back