Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Aug 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,267 of 3,016
I give up .

biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,268 of 3,016
I just got the HDVD800 and using it with the HD800's and man it's very dynamic.  I mean your source, your cable, your input to the computer for crying out loud.  Tighter with USB, crisp and tight bass.  However go RCA and analog into computer soundcard and you get a warmer footprint with creamy mid's and sparse low end.  Depending on what type of music or song in a particular album... like Gotye - Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You connected with USB to computer and an XLR CH 800's wow... tight, crisp, deep...just what I want... however, different songs in the genre sound different relative to the punch and depth... man... these cans are amazing yet unforgiving .... some songs you have to EQ... some / alot you don't... even your music player makes a difference.  I'm using AMP3 (All in One) I think it's way better than Winamp and the iTunes player blows... 

That's my first look ... so for 4K (HDVD800/HD800/CH800S XLR) ... lol... I can honestly say ... Amaaaazing.... 

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2,269 of 3,016
  I just got the HDVD800 and using it with the HD800's and man it's very dynamic.  I mean your source, your cable, your input to the computer for crying out loud.  Tighter with USB, crisp and tight bass.  However go RCA and analog into computer soundcard and you get a warmer footprint with creamy mid's and sparse low end.  Depending on what type of music or song in a particular album... like Gotye - Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You connected with USB to computer and an XLR CH 800's wow... tight, crisp, deep...just what I want... however, different songs in the genre sound different relative to the punch and depth... man... these cans are amazing yet unforgiving .... some songs you have to EQ... some / alot you don't... even your music player makes a difference.  I'm using AMP3 (All in One) I think it's way better than Winamp and the iTunes player blows... 

That's my first look ... so for 4K (HDVD800/HD800/CH800S XLR) ... lol... I can honestly say ... Amaaaazing.... 

i heard there will be an "audiophile" version of windows 9 too that should further improve sq 

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2,270 of 3,016
OH man.... add more Windows craziness to the mix for the quest for great sound....

OMG... you gotta play Lovespirals Habitual and hear that electric guitar and cymbals... with the HDVD800/HD800's aah... my ears are orgasming lol 

Not to get off topic... but If you will notice I just updated my avatar... you see the HDVD800... see whats on top... your looking at the only 8 Braid Double Helix IEM cable in existence... I'll have a post on this as there is more to it... however it's killer... and he did such a great job... but again, I'll create a new post for this...mobile rig now complete with that and the VModa Vamp Verza.

Just want to say to you all that are really into music and that helped me select this fine setup... Thank you...

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #2,271 of 3,016
I have a possible situation with my hdvd800 as amp only.

I use this as an amp daily leaving it on mostly. I have found or think it sounds better warmed up for a while, now this could be plecibo who knows .

but owning a hugo and now a ifi dsd micro I have found an new oddity.  both dacs when used to drive the amp input sound bad. with the hugo it takes off the top end a bit . loosing the air around the music . with the ifi its much worse its dulling and warmes it up to much. the hdvd800 is a very neutral amp I think and this is gret with any dac I have ever tried . except the two above . what can it be . I use simple rca interconnects and have trtied a few just to see. I am thinking its about output to input imp being bad for the input of the hdvd800 . what can I do ?? 

the hd800 sounds better with the ifi direct so much better that I cannot use the setup. it does not make the hugo bad but does loose the air.

help any ideas ??  I am going to try a preamp in between them but I do not own one . and the only one I do own is very old a david halfler old . showing my age here I built it when I was a kid .   help ???

al

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,272 of 3,016
Can't help you much there Al,

However, there is a huge difference between your input and output.  I am thinking of connecting to the computer with an XLR to 3.5mm or; and showing my inexperience, is there an XLR to USB cable that I might try as well.  The XLR to 3.5mm could connect directly to my Realtek HD soundcard and provide balanced through the HDVD800. I'm wondering if also an XLR to USB (if cable exists) would sound better than a standard USB connection to the HDVD800?

I can tell you most certainly and hope you agree that I totally notice a difference connecting via USB rather than RCA.  Huge difference.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,273 of 3,016
XLR  or RCA from soundcard means not using the Dac part of HDVD800 and trusting that the analog out from your soundcard's dac is better - unlikely to be a good option.
XLR to USB means analog to digital in the same cable - not possible

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2,274 of 3,016
  XLR  or RCA from soundcard means not using the Dac part of HDVD800 and trusting that the analog out from your soundcard's dac is better - unlikely to be a good option.
XLR to USB means analog to digital in the same cable - not possible

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense and I'll disconnect it lol.  However, it was recommended that I use, for ultimate sound quality, the CH 800 S XLR cable to connect to the HDVD800.  So your saying XLR cables are analog?  And am I using the correct cable for the HD800's?

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,276 of 3,016
  The cable you mention is to connect the HD800 headphone to a balanced head amp, it is analog and it is fine for this purpose

Ok, however do I also need to connect my source (computer's USB) to the XLR balanced part in the back of the HDVD800 so I can switch over to "balanced" to get balance audio?

On a side note, I right clicked on the USB sound device the HDVD 800 is connected to in sound devices in Windows 8.  Right click and you can adjust the settings so that the port is doing 24/192 output... you can also check "bass boost" and yes it will give the HD800/HDVD800 more bass which is nice to combat the high end.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,279 of 3,016
Not sure what exactly your setup is, but if the only connection between your PC and the HDVD800 is a usb cable it should be ok.
In your place, I would check all possible digital connections myself.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,280 of 3,016
Yes, that is correct.  And I am using the CH 800 S XLR headphone cable that connects from the HD800's to the HDVD800 front XLR port.  Using a spare computer power cord to power the HDVD800.  Can you honestly believe that Sennhieser doesn't even include a power cable for a 2K Amp/Dac...that is really something.  Power is crystal clean... power cable plugged into a SmartUPS3000 - mega overkill but never have to worry about this baby frying from lightning or surges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back