Sennheiser HDVD 800 versus headroom Micro Amp & DAC
Jan 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jonnyblazexxxx

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been a long time user (and lover) of the Headroom micro amp and dac combo. My headphones are the Sennheiser HD-650 (my favorite) and HD-700 and Shure SRH1540 (closed back). I also have a pair of JH Audio JH16s, but I hardly ever use these IEMS with this desktop setup as the noise floor is quite noticeable with this combination.

I have been extremely happy with my headroom micro stack so far; I find the sound to be overall quite pleasing.

I've never had the opportunity to try the HDVD 800, but it is an amp I have been considering for a while now.

As I would use the HDVD 800 as a DAC source from my PC, connected via usb, optical, or coax (whichever would in the end be best for the HDVD 800), I am wondering most how the HDVD 800 DAC compares to that of the headroom micro DAC. Surely the HDVD 800 amp should be better than the little old micro amp.

I'm also not so convinced that i need all the bells and whistles that the HDVD 800 offers. I don't need so many headphone outs. Of course, I would like to get some balanced cables for at least one of my pairs of headphones, if I was to purchase the HDVD 800 (currently all of my headphones are unbalanced).

We all know what a slippery slope the price/performance ratio is with high-end audio... but can anyone shed some light on this situation? Is the HDVD 800 really that big of a step up from my modest headroom micro stack, in terms of amp and DAC? The resale on the headroom equipment has kind of disappeared, so I wouldn't have much to help defray the cost of this colossal upgrade.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jonny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back