Sennheiser HD820 is coming!!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 23
Prediction: Tyll will immediately declare these "best headphone in the world", but leave plenty of room to backpedal a few months later. They will then be replaced on the Wall of Fame by Koss PortaPro 2s.
A bit off topic, but all in good spirit.

Driven by this post, I just went over to Tyll's Wall of Fame and noticed that he replaced the SR-009 with the Sonoma system. In other words, the Sonoma system is now the best headphone/amp combo you can buy, according to Tyll.

Personally, I do not know when I've heard worse garbage than that so called hifi system. Not only is that thing made of cheap plastic, but it sounds like plastic as well! And distortions kick in as soon as you turn to volume up to high enough level for the words of the song to actually be intelligible. Probably the worst product I've ever encountered, not just in hifi category, but in general.

With this I believe Tyll lost all credibility he had as a reviewer.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 23
83B23FDC-D56C-4646-AFFF-3BE180D266DE.gif
A bit off topic, but all in good spirit.

Driven by this post, I just went over to Tyll's Wall of Fame and noticed that he replaced the SR-009 with the Sonoma system. In other words, the Sonoma system is now the best headphone/amp combo you can buy, according to Tyll.

Personally, I do not know when I've heard worse garbage than that so called hifi system. Not only is that thing made of cheap plastic, but it sounds like plastic as well! And distortions kick in as soon as you turn to volume up to high enough level for the words of the song to actually be intelligible. Probably the worst product I've ever encountered, not just in hifi category, but in general.

With this I believe Tyll lost all credibility he had as a reviewer.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 23
Nope.
This is for those who don't want others to be annoyed by the sonic bleed from the listener's listening sessions.
Take a couple in bed and one partner likes to listen to music the other one doesn't like... or wants to get to sleep.
Closed headphones are the answer here.

There are plenty of closed headphones which leak like crazy. There are two independent concepts at play - that is, being closed back and being isolated.

Being closed back simply means there is a covering over the outward facing ear cup.

Being isolated means that the headphone isolates sound from the outside, and prevents sound from leaking into the outside.

There are many closed backs which happen to have a solid ear cup, yet do not isolate hardly at all. The TH900 is a good example of this.

All things considered, Sennheiser is certainly positioning the HD 820 as the top of the line headphone in the 800-series. This is shown both through the price tag and the fact that 820 > 800. This isn't like the mobile friendly HD630VB being slotted between the HD 600 and HD 650. This is a clear upgrade from an existing headphone line which uses similar transducers in a new form factor. I think the operating assumption should be that this is what Sennheiser believes to be their new flagship, and we should pay attention.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 23
Driven by this post, I just went over to Tyll's Wall of Fame and noticed that he replaced the SR-009 with the Sonoma system.

I have to agree. And while Tyll does try to make allowances for price and performance ratios, the Sonoma system is actually more expensive than a 009, and you can get a pretty decent Stax amp and still be well under the Sonoma system.

Part of his justification for removing so many headphones from the Wall of Fame was to make way for future headphones, such as the MrSpeakers VOCE. How does that even make sense?

In any case, I'm looking forward to the new Stax 010. I have a feeling the "Wall of Fame" is going to reveal itself very quickly to be the "Flavor of the Month Of Fame"...

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 23
Well, you have to take into account Tyll's preferences. You have to know that he prefers tonal balance and neutrality, whatever these terms may mean, and to him they are the deciding factor. If you want something that colors the music to entertain you and make the music exciting (like the Utopia), then your taste isn't going to line up with his. This is why he prefers the Clear. Saying someone losing credibility over a matter that is as subjective as sound quality doesn't make a lot of sense.

Don't take me wrong. I think his stance on this is silly and I actually agree with all of your points. But it's his opinion. You can choose to listen or not listen to it while not attacking him.

Also ... maybe no one should place that much trust in a reviewer?

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 23
Expanding the WOF is what should have been done not removing the SR009 from the list. The SR009 with BHSE and NOS tubes is just an incredible combo. I agree that some may prefer the SR007, but a Stax system can be had for less than $6k and should easily outperform the Sonoma Acoustic System.

Is the HD800 or HD800S still part of the HOF?

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #22 of 23
i'm sorry but i seem to have entered the wrong thread. please continue with your tyll hertsen discussion and I'll see myself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back