Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 31, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #4,036 of 6,504
I read some reviews and they said, that the HA-1 is a little bit on the bright side and it fits good with "dark" headphones like Audeze but using a HD800/S or Beyer T1 could be a little bit to bright.

Even with the tamed spike?

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #4,038 of 6,504
  Does anyone has the Mojo -> Liquid Carbon -> HD800S? Do they pair well? Thank you in advance!

Had...
Yes, quite nicely!

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #4,039 of 6,504
  Had...
Yes, quite nicely!

Thank you for the reply!... but not enough to keep it? 
biggrin.gif
. I guess I will have to give it a try lol.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,040 of 6,504
  Thank you for the reply!... but not enough to keep it? 
biggrin.gif
. I guess I will have to give it a try lol.

No. Quite the contrary - quite happy with the setup 
biggrin.gif

It was another headphone issue I was trying to resolve. And I'm getting to that crazy part of the hobby, in my opinion. I find now I'm selling or trading really excellent amplifiers, to find that TOTL experience 
frown.gif

redface.gif

frown.gif

redface.gif

If you look at one of my earlier posts (might be the other HD800S thread) where I said happiness was truly getting the HD650 to sing. It seems to be taking me a little longer to get my $1000+ headphones to sing together 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #4,041 of 6,504
  No. Quite the contrary - quite happy with the setup 
biggrin.gif

It was another headphone issue I was trying to resolve. And I'm getting to that crazy part of the hobby, in my opinion. I find now I'm selling or trading really excellent amplifiers, to find that TOTL experience 
frown.gif

redface.gif

frown.gif

redface.gif

If you look at one of my earlier posts (might be the other HD800S thread) where I said happiness was truly getting the HD650 to sing. It seems to be taking me a little longer to get my $1000+ headphones to sing together 
rolleyes.gif

Thank you for the insight... I will check that thread. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #4,042 of 6,504
  I read some reviews and they said, that the HA-1 is a little bit on the bright side and it fits good with "dark" headphones like Audeze but using a HD800/S or Beyer T1 could be a little bit to bright.

Although it may be true with the original versions of the HD-800 and T1 on some recordings, I know it was with my setup. IMO the T1 gen2 pairs well with HA-1 and that may be the case with the HD-800S.

Setup: Cambridge CXC, Dac Magic Plus and HA-1

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,043 of 6,504

Although it may be true with the original versions of the HD-800 and T1 on some recordings, I know it was with my setup. IMO the T1 gen2 pairs well with HA-1 and that may be the case with the HD-800S.

Setup: Cambridge CXC, Dac Magic Plus and HA-1

How do you like the CXC? Almost pulled the trigger on it but bought the 851C instead

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #4,045 of 6,504
Haven't had a chance to hear the HD 800 S yet. First off, I'm terribly sorry, as I assume this has probably been asked before but the task of reading all 270 pages is a bit daunting. My question is, having owned the HD 800 and the HD 600, I find that the treble in the HD 800 was a bit sharp with poorly recorded/mastered music. Unfortunately a lot of my music tends to be this way. The HD 600 is a lot better, it can still be sibilant but it's not painful. 

For anyone that has tried the two and felt the same, and also tried the HD 800 S, was this an improvement over the two for a softer treble response, or more similar to the HD 600? 

I know the Modi 2 Uber probably doesn't help this, eventually I plan on getting a DAC19.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #4,046 of 6,504
  Haven't had a chance to hear the HD 800 S yet. First off, I'm terribly sorry, as I assume this has probably been asked before but the task of reading all 270 pages is a bit daunting. My question is, having owned the HD 800 and the HD 600, I find that the treble in the HD 800 was a bit sharp with poorly recorded/mastered music. Unfortunately a lot of my music tends to be this way. The HD 600 is a lot better, it can still be sibilant but it's not painful. 

For anyone that has tried the two and felt the same, and also tried the HD 800 S, was this an improvement over the two for a softer treble response, or more similar to the HD 600? 

I know the Modi 2 Uber probably doesn't help this, eventually I plan on getting a DAC19.

A good summary is contained in this You Tube video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QrsBzmVVw

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #4,047 of 6,504

See for yourself (below).
Personally, I do not absolutely tolerate the peak frequency to 6 kHz of the HD-800 (stock) ; it is unacceptable (for me), even with a good tube amplifier.

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/sennheiser-hd-800.php

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/sennheiser-hd-800s.php

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/sennheiser-hd-600.php

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #4,048 of 6,504
I bought the HD800S after owning the HD800 for a couple of years. I can safely say the HD800S is the better of the 2 if you don't decide to mod the original one. Even with a proper tube amp the treble of the HD800 was a bit too piercy for me with some recordings. The HD800S toned it down quite a lot and made the headphones so much more enjoyable for me. You do get some more "mudded" bass but it's not as bad as you'd think. In fact, I actually like the extra bass presence in songs.

Since I've gotten the HD800S, I hardly have used my Hifiman HE1K which is quite saying a lot considering the price difference between the 2 'phones

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #4,049 of 6,504
Guys - I love the original HD800 for classical, but find them way too bright for rock/pop.  Would (in your opinion) the S (which I have not been able to hear for myself yet) fix that issue?  

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #4,050 of 6,504
yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back