Highly unlikely he will not like the HD800 S

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #3,422 of 6,504
  Can NOT wait for Tyll's review 
popcorn.gif

I am sick of waiting 
frown.gif

I just want to know which one to buy this or the HE1000

I agree with the above.
I don't think HD800S will be disliked or take HE1000 from the wall of fame. If the stars align, it might take HD800 from the wall.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,423 of 6,504
I agree with the above.
I don't think HD800S will be disliked or take HE1000 from the wall of fame. If the stars align, it might take HD800 from the wall.

I had a chance to listen to the hd800 against my hd800s'. I have to say even if you modded the hd800's, which I listen to about a year ago, I don't think they sound as good as the 800s'.

*EDIT*

I should stop posting while on Ambien lol. Glad I ran out

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #3,424 of 6,504
I had a chance to listen to the hd800 against my hd800s'. I have to say even if you modded the hd800's don't sound as good as the 800s'

I agree.
Sennheiser took a long time, over 7 years to roll out the Son of HD800.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #3,425 of 6,504

I also only listen to classical music and opera. I owned the HD800 for 5 years and I am therefore very familiar with its sound (unmodded or Anax-modded). I have recently replaced it with a HE 1000, which I much prefer. The HE1000 is much more musical-sounding to my ears (which means that it better reminds me of the sounds of "real life" acoustical instruments), and I never have any problem with its treble sounding too smooth or too veiled. It also resolves complex orchestral passages with greater micro-detail resolution than the HD800 and it never gets "confused".

Note that my comments only apply to running the HE1000 in balanced mode from my Vioelectric V281 amplifier. I wonder whether you have any problems with your headphone amplifier or sound source (my sound source is a PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport => Anedio D2 DAC).

Jeff.

Thanks for your input. I have only auditioned the HEK via my  own  Hugo,and  Mojo and Dave and although thinner and brighter sometimes it seems that my HD800  on some albums ,resolves complex loud passages at bit better than the one and only demo set of HEK I have heard.
But yes I liked the HEK very much on most material and  I am still  considering it if I can get a good enough price and it travels well too.
I especially liked string sound from the HEK set I have heard 5-6 hours on three separate occasions and with Dave it delivered possibly  some the best digital sound I have ever heard via headphones.
Very close to mike-feed.
My Hugo travels very well but Dave doesn't.
I am also  a bit worried that the cheap looking build of the HEK makes it a headset that needs to stay home and not go with me on 6-7 months long travels in the tropics as my  HD800 have for some years now.
The nearest dealer is in Singapore where I was very tempted to buy it last week. But would it cope with the high humidity in a rainforest as the HD800 has done without any problems many times .  And is it sturdy enough to travel without a case in my camerapack on flights.Lots of things to consider apart from just SQ.
But I really appreciate  that you seem to hear  very much the same as I do from the HEK. But in a home situation with a different amp.
For me it sounds good enough to make me tempted via Hugo.But with the mentioned issue especially on the 24/176.4 album from Reference Recordings with Hindemith and Bartok  "Miraculous Metamorphoses".
It could be that my Hugo runs out of steam and not the HEK?

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #3,426 of 6,504

I also only listen to classical music and opera. I owned the HD800 for 5 years and I am therefore very familiar with its sound (unmodded or Anax-modded). I have recently replaced it with a HE 1000, which I much prefer. The HE1000 is much more musical-sounding to my ears (which means that it better reminds me of the sounds of "real life" acoustical instruments), and I never have any problem with its treble sounding too smooth or too veiled. It also resolves complex orchestral passages with greater micro-detail resolution than the HD800 and it never gets "confused".

Note that my comments only apply to running the HE1000 in balanced mode from my Vioelectric V281 amplifier. I wonder whether you have any problems with your headphone amplifier or sound source (my sound source is a PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport => Anedio D2 DAC).

Jeff.

Thanks for your input. I have only auditioned the HEK via my  own  Hugo,and  Mojo and Dave and although thinner and brighter sometimes it seems that my HD800  on some albums ,resolves complex loud passages at bit better than the one and only demo set of HEK I have heard.
But yes I liked the HEK very much on most material and  I am still  considering it if I can get a good enough price and it travels well too.
I especially liked string sound from the HEK set I have heard 5-6 hours on three separate occasions and with Dave it delivered possibly  some the best digital sound I have ever heard via headphones.
Very close to mike-feed.
I am also  a bit worried that the cheap looking build of the HEK makes it a headset that needs to stay home and not go with me on 6-7 months long travels in the tropics as my  HD800 have for some years now.
The nearest dealer is in Singapore where I was very tempted to buy it last week. But would it cope with the high humidity in a rainforest as the HD800 has done without any problems many times .  And is it sturdy enough to travel without a case in my camerapack on flights.Lots of things to consider apart from just SQ.
But I really appreciate  that you seem to hear  very much the same as I do from the HEK. But in a home situation with a different amp.
For me it sounds good enough to make me tempted via Hugo.But with the mentioned issue especially on the 24/176.4 album from Reference Recordings with Hindemith and Bartok  "Miraculous Metamorphoses".

I have not tried Hugo and my 800s I use the big brother with more detail, slam, and output the TT. These cans demand scale not sure the Hugo is up to it.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #3,428 of 6,504

Very close to mike-feed.

I have heard (from comments made by many other HEK owners) that the HEK sounds much better when used with a more powerful headphone amplifier, and I suspect that a balanced headphone amplifier is critical if you want to get the best sound out of the HEK. My HEK sounds much better when used in the balanced mode, rather than single-ended, with my V281 headphone amplifier.

I don't think that the HEK is a good headphone choice for travel. It is likely to be much more fragile than the HD800 because of its design structure and the wood may even warp under conditions of high humidity.

Jeff.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,429 of 6,504
HEX is far better choice to travel with....lighter and doesnt need as powerful an amp...the mojo does a fantastic job with the HEX...my HEK is paired with my Yiggy/Rag combo

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3,430 of 6,504
  HEX is far better choice to travel with....lighter and doesnt need as powerful an amp...the mojo does a fantastic job with the HEX...my HEK is paired with my Yiggy/Rag combo

The HD800 can run from any DAP that I have including my Nokia Phone. If you take a decent DAP and add a small device like the Mojo you should be fine for travelling. I don't see an issue here

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,431 of 6,504

I traveled on planes and trains with Hugo rigs including HD800, AKG812 and other cans.
While they may sound great when the plane landed or during moments when the crowd disappeared, a pair of ANC headphones like the Bose QC25 or Momentum M2 Bluetooth would beat any TOL can outside of the home; ....IMHO

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #3,432 of 6,504
I had a chance to listen to the hd800 against my hd800s'. I have to say even if you modded the hd800's don't sound as good as the 800s'

How would you know unless you modded them?

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #3,433 of 6,504
This post is confusing as hell.
I suggest naming the HD800S, "HD800 V2" or mkii or whatever, in this thread from now on , to avoid confusion between the old HD800 and new HD800 in future posts.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #3,434 of 6,504
^def is confusing. Especially trying to search reviews for it.. I really don't know why they did that. They should have called them the HD801's or HD800 Black

I will just say I have the 800 S... If you capitalize the "S" it will make a bit more clear.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #3,435 of 6,504
I have not tried Hugo and my 800s I use the big brother with more detail, slam, and output the TT. These cans demand scale not sure the Hugo is up to it.

Why not? The Hugo has the same DAC and power output as the Hugo TT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back