Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,671 of 6,514
  also, have a question, looking at driving a hD800/HD800S. im looking at Schitt stack- containing WRYD(usb decrapifier) feeding a Modi2(DAC) into a SYS(to spur to speaker amp) then a Magni2(amp).

would this setup adequately drive a set of these?? 

Personally, I do not think magni/modi and HD800S have good synergy at all. It makes the highs quite harsh and sterile sounding. For me there is a lot of the headphones magic lost with that combo. If you are looking for a budget solution I guess their entry tube amp could be better option from what I have read. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2,672 of 6,514
My Chord Hugo doesn't have balanced output so I can't use the balanced cables.

What do you guys think is the best balanced headphone amplifier for the HD 800 S that works with a large variety of headphones and is not hard to comeby?

The balanced amplifiers that I can get from my local dealers are the Schiit Ragnarok, Phonitor 2, Aurelic Taurus MK2 and the HDVD 800. The GS-X is impossible to get unless I try order from other countries which I prefer not to do.

I'm listening to HD800s through a Hugo and honestly I'm super impressed. Very controlled. Lack of xlr does not matter. Review to go up shortly of HD800 vs HD800s

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,673 of 6,514

What do you guys think is the best balanced headphone amplifier for the HD 800 S that works with a large variety of headphones and is not hard to comeby?

The balanced amplifiers that I can get from my local dealers are the Schiit Ragnarok, Phonitor 2, Aurelic Taurus MK2 and the HDVD 800. The GS-X is impossible to get unless I try order from other countries which I prefer not to do.

The question is what it is that you feel is missing from your current setup? Your dac isn't balanced so are you sure that you need/want balanced? If you go with the Senn you might want to save a few bones and go for the HDVA 600 and use the hugo as a DAC. While all those amps are good and people who have them seem to like them with the HD800, IMO the HD800 sounds a little better on a similarly priced tube amp. I have found the S to be a bit less amp picky, but it still likes tubes. The tube amps that are popular for the HD800 are SE rather than balanced. Also, while I can understand that you want a good all-rounder amp, if you listen mostly the S, then with the money you seem to be ready to blow, don't you think the best idea is to optimize for the primo headphone you will mostly use? I guess it depends what you will complement the S with. The Senns are usually way more amp picky than any of the other headphones you might be thinking to use as alternates, so again it may be best to optimize for the S. For example if your other headphone is the LCD 3 or HEK, you don't need to worry about the amp as much as with the Senn.

Since most people have only had time to really listen to the classic and not the younger dude, you may have to blaze the trail yourself.  

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,674 of 6,514

I use an Auralic Taurus Mk2 / Auralic Vega combination with the HD800 (and now the HD800S). I like the combination very much.

Only downside I can think of is that Taurus is a very transparent and revealing amp, so combined with the Vega + HD800/HD800S you get every detail of the source material - the good and the bad - and a level of detail that can become a little fatiguing. Sound signature is also slightly bright with HD800 / HD800S (but if you are a HD800 user you already knew that).

Overall, this is an excellent setup if you want detail + transparency. On instrumental and classical it is mind blowing. On everything else I have tried it is very, very good.

I have not heard any of the other amps mentioned, so cannot comment on those.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,675 of 6,514
I
I own the HD 650's and 800's.  I must say I enjoy them both, but the 800's outshine the 650's for soundstage, clarity, and balance, etc.  I must say it took several HP amps before I realized the full potential of my 650's.  They're not 800's but they are very good for their price.  My current HP amp tones down the 800's 6Hz spike and makes them quite pleasurable with many genre's of music. It has also removed the 650's "veil" rendering the highs with a pleasant, satisfying sparkle that's never strident or piercing (unless that's the way it was recorded).. 

I own the 650 and am considering the 800s. What amp are you running, as it sounds like you're happy with the results. Thanks in advance.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,676 of 6,514

I use an Auralic Taurus Mk2 / Auralic Vega combination with the HD800 (and now the HD800S). I like the combination very much.

Only downside I can think of is that Taurus is a very transparent and revealing amp, so combined with the Vega + HD800/HD800S you get every detail of the source material - the good and the bad - and a level of detail that can become a little fatiguing. Sound signature is also slightly bright with HD800 / HD800S (but if you are a HD800 user you already knew that).

Overall, this is an excellent setup if you want detail + transparency. On instrumental and classical it is mind blowing. On everything else I have tried it is very, very good.

I have not heard any of the other amps mentioned, so cannot comment on those.

I have read great things about tauris. what I have found after listening to the TT constantly for two weeks is that the mids is were these great dacs live. The TT ( i have not heard tauris myself) throws a verocious bass slam down when needed, its tight and fast so the pallet can seem a tad darker than say hugo, But those mids bring out that 3d sound scape and living in the note feel. So I would think, in my humble opinion, these acute transparent amps are exactly what the doctor ordered, now its up to the source data and music types to indicate how pleasing the duration of listening will be. Still waiting for hd800s so take what im saying as anticipatory verbal diarreia. 
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,678 of 6,514

See if you can find a Liquid Carbon for sale 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I would also have added Eddie Current Black Widow MKII but it's just been announced that they won't be able to come with balanced output.   

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,679 of 6,514
See if you can find a Liquid Carbon for sale :)  I would also have added Eddie Current Black Widow MKII but it's just been announced that they won't be able to come with balanced output.   

Actually the BW comes with balanced output; but no balanced input.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,680 of 6,514

Local dealers ability to 'deliver' is always problem or matter of 'direct business discussion'...
Lake People ('pro') and Violectric ('audiophile') headphone amps (both made by Lake People) have a good reputation.
if your mentioned 'works with a large variety of headphones' means, that head-amp must have both nonbalanced-single and balanced out, then this is limiting Your choices more.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,683 of 6,514
right,

so I've been sat down in my local hifi shop.

they have HD800 AND HD800S

Amps used:
Pioneer U05-S (with balanced output)
Chord Mojo
Chord Hugo.

music listened to: 
Eagles: Hotel California- Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJ0I2J954A
Rage Against the Machine: Take The Power Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkMsXcHQYg
Pendulum: Plastic World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7qCgCedCs

all amps tested with jack plugs and XLR on Pioneer.

here we go. (from now on ill refer to the HD800 as the 8, and the HD800S as the S)

So, to start, both are premium, both are super comfy, this all comes as 0 surprise.
some differences in packing, the S has a balanced xlr cable- price £250 so not to be overlooked.
boxes identical.
there is a usb stick in the S box probably with some marketing blurb on it. whatever.

Meat and potatoes of the situation:
all tests were back to back. in the hifi shops listening space, so no ambient noise what so ever.

so how do they sound? 

well, whilst listening to the 8, i noticed some of the harshness associated with them during hotel Cali, that wasn't present with the S.

RATM the Drum intro, you could hear the drum beat in more detail, sounded more present, (first 10seconds of the song) on the S

Pendulum, everything was way more fun on the S, the 8s had a more clinical sound missing out alot of the low mid bass drum kicks.

Everything I listened to on the 8 i preferred on the S no matter what amp.

There is more low/mid bass it feels more present, its less harsh u high but still incredibly detailed, its not quite as bright as the 8 but it still sounds detailed and accurate.

basically, the HD800S is a more fun version of the HD800 they both sound amazing.
The sound stage on the chord Hugo was massive  but still incredibly detailed with positioning being handled incredibly well.
The Mojo, well the mojo WOW what can i say, its the size of a credit card, and will happily drive both headphones to clipping. not quite as large a sound-stage as the Hugo but it has more mid range punch and was incredibly impressive.
and the Pioneer, made it well aware that if you have a balanced amp its well worth using as it made a difference between the two.

to sum up, its got me in 2 minds which i want. the amp is easy, ill be buying a chord mojo, but as to which model of 800 thats the problem, if you already own a set of 8s, i wouldnt go out and buy the S, but if your looking to upgrade to a balanced setup, its not a bad shout as the cable itself is an extra 250quid. 
also aesthetically i prefer the 8s, as the the S looks a bit plasticy in comparison(i know its a minor gripe)

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,684 of 6,514
Thanks for the impressions. Seems to track consistent with what everyone else is saying.

Only caveat is that you can't draw a conclusion that balanced is better, just that the Pioneer sounded better as an amp that the built in amp of the Hugo or Mojo. What dac drove the pioneer?

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,685 of 6,514
  right,

so I've been sat down in my local hifi shop.

they have HD800 AND HD800S

Amps used:
Pioneer U05-S (with balanced output)
Chord Mojo
Chord Hugo.

music listened to: 
Eagles: Hotel California- Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJ0I2J954A
Rage Against the Machine: Take The Power Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkMsXcHQYg
Pendulum: Plastic World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7qCgCedCs

all amps tested with jack plugs and XLR on Pioneer.

here we go. (from now on ill refer to the HD800 as the 8, and the HD800S as the S)

[...]  
Meat and potatoes of the situation:
all tests were back to back. in the hifi shops listening space, so no ambient noise what so ever.

so how do they sound? 

well, whilst listening to the 8, i noticed some of the harshness associated with them during hotel Cali, that wasn't present with the S.

RATM the Drum intro, you could hear the drum beat in more detail, sounded more present, (first 10seconds of the song) on the S

Pendulum, everything was way more fun on the S, the 8s had a more clinical sound missing out alot of the low mid bass drum kicks.

Everything I listened to on the 8 i preferred on the S no matter what amp.

There is more low/mid bass it feels more present, its less harsh u high but still incredibly detailed, its not quite as bright as the 8 but it still sounds detailed and accurate.

basically, the HD800S is a more fun version of the HD800 they both sound amazing.
[...]

Thank You for Your quick impressions!
You mentioned that HD800 had 'more clinical sound, missing mid bass drum kicks', does 'clinical' means, that it somehow resolved something(?) more than 800S in bass section (transparency, texture, details)?
Or term 'clinical' means for You just 'anemic'?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back