Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,641 of 6,514
Most folks are reporting they hear more bass.  But Sorrodje said he didn't hear the S as more bassy at all despite what he'd read here or there or despite the lolilol individual curves provided by Sennheiser with each S.  bmichels reported he and 2 other head-fiers had not heard any real improvement between the 800 and the S and that it was disappointing.  The serial no. on my 800 is 34XXX.  I purchased it new December 2014 and must say the bass is quite good on many recordings but rather soft on others. Some songs on the same cd have slamming bass while other songs have quite a bit less.  Truelies said he believes Sennheiser keeps improving the 800 and that high (serial) number 800's are basically using the same model as the S.  (I can't speak to that). Perhaps my model 800 is one of those that reaches 5dB instead of 3dB.  I don't know.  I'll probably eventually buy an S.  But until then, on days when I need to hear "louder" bass on every track, I'll put the 650's on, kick back and jam. 

The only difference between Sorrodje and me is that on some tracks I said the bass sounded slightly more extended. Since he didn't hear those particular tracks, has a different, possibly less resolving amp, two different pairs of headphones, there are any number of explanations for this extremely small difference in reports. In terms of bass quantity, we seem to say exactly the same thing.

As far as other reported differences, i don't think there is much to conclude. Sennheiser is pretty opaque about their measurement methodology and if the methodology has been the same through the entire run of headphones. I can say that when others have independently measured pairs HD800 headphones and compared; they measured pretty much the same, old vs. new etc. So much so, that differences should be inaudible. (This was true even when the Senn supplied graphs were a bit different). Some people still claim they hear differences, but independent measurements, so far has not corroborated those alleged differences. It is still possible that there is significant model variation that is somewhat rare. Perhaps if measurements were taken on some other HD800s where people heard differences, those differences would be independently confirmed. But AFAIK that has not happened yet.

The bass on the HD800 is quite good. The bass on the S hits a little harder, and that is consistent so far with everyone who has heard the S, except for possibly bmichel ( who didn't say anything about the Bass). Perhaps he could elaborate more on whether they in fact heard no difference or if it was that the difference between the two headphones was smaller than hoped. It wasn't clear from what he wrote. Hope this makes things a bit less cloudy.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some good cans to listen to!

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,642 of 6,514
Hello everyone, first post here after lurking the boards for quiet some time. 
gs1000.gif

I was able to listen to the HD 800 and HD 800S at my local hifi store here in Stuttgart, Germany.
I am not a pro at describing every bass nuance but in my point of view the HD 800S certainly has a bit more "slam".
While testing the bass for both headphones with "You're Good But I'm Better" from "Kill J" I enjoyed the slam like bass especially with the HD800s. The bass had a good amount of pressure to it and felt like it was produced in the middle of my head, which is a nice experience.

Overall I had no problems with the HD 800 brightness, but I liked the HD 800S a tiny bit more (bass).

I am new to this level of headphone... do you guys think it is possible to tweak the HD 800 with 2 db here and there to make them sound like the HD 800S? 
What is your point of view on used HD 800 on ebay? Yay or nay?

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,643 of 6,514
gs1000.gif

I was able to listen to the HD 800 and HD 800S at my local hifi store here in Stuttgart, Germany.
[...]

Thank You for shearing...!
What was the price for HD800S in local store, was it for sale or 'store demo' version?

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2,647 of 6,514
gs1000.gif

I am not a pro at describing every bass nuance but in my point of view the HD 800S certainly has a bit more "slam".
While testing the bass for both headphones with "You're Good But I'm Better" from "Kill J" I enjoyed the slam like bass especially with the HD800s. The bass had a good amount of pressure to it and felt like it was produced in the middle of my head, which is a nice experience.

Overall I had no problems with the HD 800 brightness, but I liked the HD 800S a tiny bit more (bass).

I am new to this level of headphone... do you guys think it is possible to tweak the HD 800 with 2 db here and there to make them sound like the HD 800S? 

Thanks for the impressions....

I have been messing with  eqing, Not sure if it is a limitation of the software that I am using or my ineptitude, but  can't make them sound the same. Some of that is the overall tonal balance on the two headphones isn't exactly the same and probably has something to do with the "absorber" technology... But I can make the HD800 a little punchier w/o changing too much the overall charms that the HD800 classic has to offer. 

Buying used (on ebay or head-fi) is a good idea. I think I am putting my HD800 up for sale soon...

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,648 of 6,514

I have been messing with  eqing, Not sure if it is a limitation of the software that I am using or my ineptitude, but  can't make them sound the same. Some of that is the overall tonal balance on the two headphones isn't exactly the same and probably has something to do with the "absorber" technology... But I can make the HD800 a little punchier w/o changing too much the overall charms that the HD800 classic has to offer. 

Buying used (on ebay or head-fi) is a good idea. I think I am putting my HD800 up for sale soon...

Hopefully such software (maybe some other too, somewhere in the future) with related plugins (hope for HD800S plugin soon too) is helping in some cases or specialized 'needs':
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may15/articles/sonarworks-reference.htm

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #2,649 of 6,514
Has anyone directly compared the HD800S to a modded (Anax 2.0) HD800? Wondering if it's around the same sound or far different.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,650 of 6,514

Hopefully such software (maybe some other too, somewhere in the future) with related plugins (hope for HD800S plugin soon too) is helping in some cases or specialized 'needs':
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may15/articles/sonarworks-reference.htm

Article above is little outdated!
Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone plug-in comes packaged with average calibration curves for these models:

AIAIAI TMA1 (PU foam pads)
    AKG K141 MKII
    AKG K240 Studio
    AKG K271 MKII
    AKG K701
    AKG K702
    AKG K712
    Audio-Technica M20x
    Audio-Technica M40x
    Audio-Technica M50x
    Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
    Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm
    Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
    Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
    Focal Spirit Pro
    KRK KNS8400
    Sennheiser HD25-II
    Sennheiser HD280
    Sennheiser HD598
    Sennheiser HD600
    Sennheiser HD650
    Sennheiser HD800
    Shure SRH840
    Sony MDR7506
    Superlux HD681

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,651 of 6,514

Second this. Bought my HD800's for $695. The unit is roughly 8 months old.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,652 of 6,514
  Second this. Bought my HD800's for $695. The unit is roughly 8 months old.

If I remember correctly, Sennheiser warranty is not going from one person to another ('with HD800') [i.e. if Sennheiser warranty is connected with person who was buying and registering HD800, then You don't have Sennheiser 'standard warranty for 2 or 3 years'].
Am I correct?

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #2,653 of 6,514

If I remember correctly, Sennheiser warranty is not going from one person to another ('with HD800') [i.e. if Sennheiser warranty is connected with person who was buying and registering HD800, then You don't have Sennheiser 'standard warranty for 2 or 3 years'].
Am I correct?

I've always had no issues as long as I had the proof of purchase that included the SKU,  purchase date, and authorized dealer information.  Maybe others have?

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,654 of 6,514

I've always had no issues as long as I had the proof of purchase that included the SKU,  purchase date, and authorized dealer information.  Maybe others have?

Not sure that 'upper-mentioned' is 'working' with Sennheiser... it's easy to call 'unanimously' to local Sennheiser 'representative' and ask exactly about HD800 (could be that pro-level Sennheiser products have different type of warranty.compared to 'typical consumer' products...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back