Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,626 of 6,504
I didn't say it does not have more bass. I said the bigger difference between classic and his younger brother lies in the punchiness of the bass. My gear is listed in my signature. Which maybe doesn't show if you read on the mobile site.

Some people might conclude that extra punch is more or deeper bass. But I only heard it that way on a few tracks and it is really only a small difference from the classic. That is consistent with sennheiser who say that the S is slightly more extended I haven't read anyone saying anything very different than that and I think I have read all the posts so far. Sorrodje is saying that he hasn't heard the smidgen more bass which could be due to the limits of his amp, possible variations in pairs of cans or my expectation bias kicking in. But we have both reported so similarly that our differences are not worth making a big deal about. Anyone out there have a different experience?

It could be due to variations in the model since no HD 800 is the same.

What I hear between my original HD 800 and the HD 800 S could not be case if I use someone else his HD 800.

The difference isn't huge like if I would compare it to my Shure SE846 but it's noticeable.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,627 of 6,504
Bummer just got contacted by my dealer. Hd800S does not land in Canada until the first or second week of February. Oh well keep chillin with my TT and th900 combo.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,628 of 6,504
I can speak to a couple things here.

- I purchased them from Meier and they were to me from Germany in about a week.  This was with New Years holiday in the middle.  You can email Jan there, but I also paid quite a bit less than what I'm seeing retailers list these for MSRP in the US.

For a little color: I ordered mine from Jan on Dec 28 and it left Germany in the 30th. Two weeks later and DHL still hasn't shown an update, which I assume is because US customs still has it. FYI I'm in Boston.

Still a great price though, even if I receive it the same time as everyone else (Feb it looks like now).

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,629 of 6,504
For a little color: I ordered mine from Jan on Dec 28 and it left Germany in the 30th. Two weeks later and DHL still hasn't shown an update, which I assume is because US customs still has it. FYI I'm in Boston.

Still a great price though, even if I receive it the same time as everyone else (Feb it looks like now).

I feel for you there.  Mine sat in Chicago (customs) for about 4 days before being sent on.  From what I gather it can be pretty random on when they release packages.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,630 of 6,504
  The MSRP is $1699, not sure why they listed it as $1800.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-resolution-headphones-3d-audio-hd-800-s

If you guys are considering buying headphones from another country then the standard HD800 is currently around USD$950 new in Australia.  The Aussie dollar is also forecast to devalue further against the USD. A few years ago the Australian dollar was 110% of the USD. Now it is 70%.  

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,631 of 6,504

The MSRP is $1699, not sure why they listed it as $1800.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-resolution-headphones-3d-audio-hd-800-s

If you guys are considering buying headphones from another country then the standard HD800 is currently around USD$950 new in Australia.  The Aussie dollar is also forecast to devalue further against the USD. A few years ago the Australian dollar was 110% of the USD. Now it is 70%.  

Same here in Canada, fortunately started accumulating usd $ year and a half ago. I should take my usd and visit Australia. :wink_face:

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,632 of 6,504
Bummer just got contacted by my dealer. Hd800S does not land in Canada until the first or second week of February. Oh well keep chillin with my TT and th900 combo.

Not to rub it in, but I've had my HD800S headphones since before Christmas....thanks to Meier Audio. I'm in Toronto and it look like 5 business days to get to me. 
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,633 of 6,504

Not to rub it in, but I've had my HD800S headphones since before Christmas....thanks to Meier Audio. I'm in Toronto and it look like 5 business days to get to me. 
tongue.gif

congrats, 1900 can $ or 1200 euro so, feb for me. peace tho 
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,634 of 6,504
  congrats, 1900 can $ or 1200 euro so, feb for me. peace tho 
beerchug.gif

Lol, that's what I paid...with shipping included. Sorry to rub it in...you'll love the HD800S with your Hugo TT...a brilliant combination.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,635 of 6,504

I ordered mine from Jan on the 29th of Dec and got them on the 8th. It stayed in Chicago customs for a few days before making it out. There should be a new USPS tracking number from the DHL.de website after they handed it off in the US. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #2,636 of 6,504
I ordered from Jan also, left Germany on the 30th, still no update since, hopefully custom get to it soon.  Can't wait to give these a listen.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #2,637 of 6,504

tongue.gif

Lucky guy :frowning2: ... Can't wait for the rest of us to get ours hehe.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,638 of 6,504
Most folks are reporting they hear more bass.  But Sorrodje said he didn't hear the S as more bassy at all despite what he'd read here or there or despite the lolilol individual curves provided by Sennheiser with each S.  bmichels reported he and 2 other head-fiers had not heard any real improvement between the 800 and the S and that it was disappointing.  The serial no. on my 800 is 34XXX.  I purchased it new December 2014 and must say the bass is quite good on many recordings but rather soft on others. Some songs on the same cd have slamming bass while other songs have quite a bit less.  Truelies said he believes Sennheiser keeps improving the 800 and that high (serial) number 800's are basically using the same model as the S.  (I can't speak to that). Perhaps my model 800 is one of those that reaches 5dB instead of 3dB.  I don't know.  I'll probably eventually buy an S.  But until then, on days when I need to hear "louder" bass on every track, I'll put the 650's on, kick back and jam. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,639 of 6,504
  I ordered from Jan also, left Germany on the 30th, still no update since, hopefully custom get to it soon.  Can't wait to give these a listen.

Thanks for the commiseration! I also can't wait: I recently upgraded my Grace M903 DAC/amp to M920 and my HD800's treble performance improved as a result, making the Senns' treble a bit richer vs icy. So if the HD800S' virtues are even greater, then I've probably got my new reference.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,640 of 6,504
  Most folks are reporting they hear more bass.  But Sorrodje said he didn't hear the S as more bassy at all despite what he'd read here or there or despite the lolilol individual curves provided by Sennheiser with each S.  bmichels reported he and 2 other head-fiers had not heard any real improvement between the 800 and the S and that it was disappointing.  The serial no. on my 800 is 34XXX.  I purchased it new December 2014 and must say the bass is quite good on many recordings but rather soft on others. Some songs on the same cd have slamming bass while other songs have quite a bit less.  Truelies said he believes Sennheiser keeps improving the 800 and that high (serial) number 800's are basically using the same model as the S.  (I can't speak to that). Perhaps my model 800 is one of those that reaches 5dB instead of 3dB.  I don't know.  I'll probably eventually buy an S.  But until then, on days when I need to hear "louder" bass on every track, I'll put the 650's on, kick back and jam. 

About HD800(S) bass section... too many 'variables' behind sound impressions: listening of 'what' and 'which what' [sure HD800(S) must be in use].
Few years ago there was discussion about different commercial recordings containing real deep bass signals (at least 30 Hz, or below)...
I used selective information from this thread to 'built-up my own small 'library' of recordings.
One useful small 'test-method' is to use recording where you can [or try] hear different 'bass audio/signals' same time... so at least two different 'bass signals' must be there and one signal is for example little 'hidden' ('weaker' and 'lower').
From commercial recordings, one which I can recommend for testing, is from YES studio-album 'Open Your Eyes' - track no: 11 - The Solution (about first 10 minutes from 23 min 47sec long piece). Hope, that so-called 'prog-rock label' is not too hard to swallow.
And please don't use any EQ or other 'improving' methods.
I hope taht even this small test can help to differentiate HD800 and HD800S bass 'section' (impuls, tactility, quantity, texture?)
If interested, then you can find this track, for testing purposes of-course, anyway (from someone or somewhere)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back