Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 28, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,996 of 6,504
I'll wait until the "new gear effect" wears off. Lol.

That's a good idea. It won't be long for the people that don't like them share their thoughts. I have always liked the HD800 and I'm a huge fan of the 6** so only small changes were needed for my taste to enjoy the HD800S. Those that thought the Hd800 was unbearable and bright will probably not like the HD800S either.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,998 of 6,504
How many break in hours are needed?

As far as I know none. That's based on the original HD800 which obviously had the same driver . If there is any it will be a very small. I think the only thing that will 'break in' is the pads. The more they wear and take the shape of the users head then that will have an effect on the sound .

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,999 of 6,504
I'd consider electro physics as the only real break in of any electronic equipment. The perception of that may correspond as much to brain burn in as anything significantly perceivable. As an example the cable in a head phone has conductive and resistance paths that will be burned in. Whether you notice it is a matter of perception. The physical end of the cans, the diaphragm etc is not burn in able as I understand. The magnet as well. Sooo.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,000 of 6,504
Hi Sorrodje,

Quote:
  HD800 stock, HD800 modded, HD800S, HD600 FR compared : 

HD800S : Red
HD800 Stock : Yellow
HD800 Modded : Blue
HD600 : Grey

WARNING : Measurements taken on my own headphones with my own measurement rig. DO NOT COMPARE WITH OTHER SOURCES ! . It just allow to see the difference in FR between the four options. WARNING

Thanks for posting your measurements!  

Just to be clear, I'm not in the "measurements are all that matters" camp and neither are you, but I really appreciate your taking the time to do this for us.

Here's a tweaked version of your image that's easier to read:

c2e25f0e_HD800vsHD800modvsHD800SvsHD600_FR-tweaked.jpeg

And thanks to James-uk for posting his HD800 and HD800s factory measurements:

I know the senn graphs are taken with a pinch of salt but here are my 2 for comparison.

I compensated their relative perspectives and very carefully superimposed the two curves to create this blend:

df13270b_HD800_vs_HD800s-James-uk_image-Superimposed.jpeg

Mike

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2,001 of 6,504

Just to be clear, I'm not in the "measurements are all that matters" camp and neither are you, but I really appreciate your taking the time to do this for us.

Interesting, the measurements seems that the modded didn't really tame the 6kHz peak but the HD800S did so

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,002 of 6,504
Check out Innerfidelity's article on HD800 modding to see some of the measurable effects of modding.  Axel thought that many of the mod variants affected the treble too much, hence their solution to go with a resonator that targeted only the 6khz peak instead.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2,003 of 6,504
  Check out Innerfidelity's article on HD800 modding to see some of the measurable effects of modding.  Axel thought that many of the mod variants affected the treble too much, hence their solution to go with a resonator that targeted only the 6khz peak instead.

My version of Currawong's mod for the HD800:

http://tinyurl.com/qhoscrw

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,004 of 6,504
You would have to hope that with all their R&D resources that Sennheiser themselves should be more capable than anyone else of refining the sound profile of the HD800 and without affecting the good stuff. Not that I am saying these "anyone elses" are misguided or incompetent indeed quite the opposite as without their inputs maybe Sennheiser would never have changed anything. So no disrespect intended.     

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,005 of 6,504

If I can still read graphs correctly, this shows that HD800S is a winner!

I can't wait to get my hands on a pair and hear what it is about, because seeing this made me really excited!

I am kind of happy that the spike is not that obtrusive anymore, but I am worried that I might miss some of it after a while, considering how close to how HD600 sounds like, and it was too smooth for me.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2,006 of 6,504

If I can still read graphs correctly, this shows that HD800S is a winner!

I can't wait to get my hands on a pair and hear what it is about, because seeing this made me really excited!

I am kind of happy that the spike is not that obtrusive anymore, but I am worried that I might miss some of it after a while, considering how close to how HD600 sounds like, and it was too smooth for me.

I would actually take this graph with a pinch of salt ... firstly why is HD800 modded and stock almost identical. So the next question would be a) was the mod done wrongly? or b) was the measurement not accurate? Either scenario would mean that this graph is inconclusive in proving that the HD800S is the winner here :) Cheers feel free to feedback

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #2,007 of 6,504
Its understandable that existing hd800 owners may not like the improvements made to hd800s. snneheiser is the studio class of choice world wide, and the feed back on 800 was well known to them. They have had years to develop an improved 800 with among other things the success of ie 800. This now addresses the target markets that were reluctant to purchase and viola, it worked on me. Now i have no skin in the game concerning hd800 and no way to compare. Im excited as punch at being able to have on order this variant and try it out. let you know from a th900 owner what I think of it.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,008 of 6,504
  I would actually take this graph with a pinch of salt ... firstly why is HD800 modded and stock almost identical. So the next question would be a) was the mod done wrongly? or b) was the measurement not accurate? Either scenario would mean that this graph is inconclusive in proving that the HD800S is the winner here :) Cheers feel free to feedback

OK. First and last time I post some measurements here. See measurements of Tyll's mod attempts. (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HD800compareRightFR.pdf) you'll see that any option has not so much effect on the peak itself. it's an overbeated subject here or there. the effect of most mods based on Arnaud/Jazz/Anaxilus work are always more seeable in the midrange and affect more the subjective impressions than what we can see in the FR plots.  But it seems you know better that me. I'm fine with that after all.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,009 of 6,504

OK. First and last time I post some measurements here. 

Chill bro ... not trying to offend anyone here ... any form of measurements provided is useful .. we jus need to make sense of it and identify errors that were made ... you never know the next big thing can be in one of these measurement... so yeah :) cheers and happy listening :)

edited - In addition if you do read the article Tyll mentioned that "As the part provides a less reflective surface, the peak at 6.5kHz lessens." Looking at the graph you shared from Tyll, the measurements that resulted in a higher peak compared to stock were the creatology foam. Which i assume he referred as more reflective. Whereas if you take a closer look at the measurement for felt the peak was indeed less. just my 2 cents :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back