Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #1,981 of 6,504
If you think about it, the HD800S=T1 2nd gen.
Slight improvement, but Senn increased the price and Beyer didn't.
On the Bright side the old HD800 price dropped.
Honestly i think it would have been fair to price it the same as the old version just like what happened with T1.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,983 of 6,504
I thought a balanced cable wad added (thought maybe unwanted)? Did Beyer also do that?

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,985 of 6,504
  HD800 stock, HD800 modded, HD800S, HD600 FR compared : 

HD800S : Red
HD800 Stock : Yellow
HD800 Modded : Blue
HD600 : Grey

WARNING : Measurements taken on my own headphones with my own measurement rig. DO NOT COMPARE WITH OTHER SOURCES ! . It just allow to see the difference in FR between the four options. WARNING

i assume HD800 Modded has the Anax mod? How come the mod does not do anything to the 6k peak? was that a comparison between two different units of HD800, one with mod one without mod?
Also, if anyone with the new HD800S would kindly volunteer to take the protective cloth off and take photos of the innards to show what Sennheiser has done, lots of us would really appreciate it i bet :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,986 of 6,504
We had that discussion already and it hunk all has be said about it.

The HD800S is a model variant, not a new model and neither a corrected HD800. Otherwise the old one would not still be sold. Plus if Sennheiser saw an inherent problem with them they would have corrected that sooner, not by offering a variant after what? Six years?

While the changes themselves (removed treble spike, a bit more bass) go in the same direction for both HD800S and T1.2, Beyerdynamic obviously sees the T1.2 as overall better and discontinued the original model (which I, for one, happen to like better -- just like many will like the original HD800 better despite a variant being offered).

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,987 of 6,504
I'm just doing some comparisons with HD600. Overall tonality is very similar !!! I Was not expecting that . 800S has better bass especially its extension. This gives the overall sound more weight. With some tracks the Hd600 sounds a little brighter due to the upper mids/lower treble 'spike' . The 800S is like a super clean , clear , open sounding Hd600. Maybe bass impact on some tracks I would give to Hd600 but not sure if that's not just the mid bass hump/ less control and a bit if bloom. HD600 is maybe slightly warmer sounding still but it's close and some tracks I would give it to 800S in terms of overall warmth. HD800S is just more effortless across the spectrum . Almost laid back.
I'm surprised by this observation and will keep on A/B them.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,988 of 6,504
I'm just doing some comparisons with HD600. Overall tonality is very similar !!! I Was not expecting that . 800S has better bass especially its extension. This gives the overall sound more weight. With some tracks the Hd600 sounds a little brighter due to the upper mids/lower treble 'spike' . The 800S is like a super clean , clear , open sounding Hd600. Maybe bass impact on some tracks I would give to Hd600 but not sure if that's not just the mid bass hump/ less control and a bit if bloom. HD600 is maybe slightly warmer sounding still but it's close and some tracks I would give it to 800S in terms of overall warmth. HD800S is just more effortless across the spectrum . Almost laid back.
I'm surprised by this observation and will keep on A/B them.

Not bad at all! I.E. useful for pro-users too (as it was, and sometimes still is, with HD600...)

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,990 of 6,504
Very early thoughts after an hour or so of listening.....
Very subtle difference in sound vs HD800, definitely less bright and pearcing in the treble but not A huge change. It's only when switching quickly between the old and new that the difference becomes more obvious . So far nothing sounds overly different other than the slightly reduced 'glare' . Bass seemed exactly the same at first but the more I listen it does have a little more presence but it's just as tight, that is more obvious switching between the 2. mids are maybe a little bit warmer but it's subtle at best. Overall the sound just seems a little warmer without taking anything away, if anything I can hear a little more detail overall because the treble isn't as distracting. All the things I love about the HD800 are still there which is a relief.
It is a very small change overall but so far I think it is definitely for the better with no obvious downside .

Could you please post your individual response graphs for each headphone? Thanks

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,992 of 6,504
I'm listening to Rock on a HD800 and it's not annoying! Oh man I am one happy camper right now. HD650 could still win here but the fact that it's happening is giving me a huge smile .

'listening now' HD800 or 800S?

As an owner on HD800 and ex-owner of HD650 I can say, that I prefer HD800 in rock (mostly progressive)... yes it was easy to listen HD650 hours-by-hours, but unbalanced sound was constantly annoying... some like HD800 some not, maybe it is dependent from how old the person is (ears get 'older' too)..

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,993 of 6,504
'listening now' HD800 or 800S?

As an owner on HD800 and ex-owner of HD650 I can say, that I prefer HD800 in rock (mostly progressive)... yes it was easy to listen HD650 hours-by-hours, but unbalanced sound was constantly annoying... some like HD800 some not, maybe it is dependent from how old the person is (ears get 'older' too)..

800S. My current go to for rock is the 650 but that may change now . To early to say . I am very impressed with the S so far though. Pretty much everything I wanted when dreaming of a replacement for the HD800. Would I take a little more bass? Yes, always! Other than that I think it's pretty much there for me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back