Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,876 of 6,504
  I will when I write my review. Suffice it to say, the SR-009s are looking they won't have to worry too much. 
wink.gif
 But the HD800S is a very nice improvement over its predecessor. Very much like the T1 Gen. 2 over the original T1s.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,877 of 6,504
Yeah I think this is a good comparison. I've been reading alot to try to infer the differences. And I believe the Ether will be a bit more neutral and maybe (?) slightly lacking in bass. The HD800 should have a noticeably larger soundstage. And the remaining questions would be how they've tamed the treble peak and how much they've extended the bass response in the HD800S.

I do like the Ether a lot.

The first was a non-starter for me as I preferred the HD800 to it. The HD800S "corrects" my two biggest issues I had with the originals, the peak in the treble that would become fatiguing over time and a bit more heft down low. And with that you get to keep all the other "goodness" from the HD800's without sacrificing a thing (something the mod did too much of IMO).

Quote:
  But the HD800S is a very nice improvement over its predecessor. Very much like the T1 Gen. 2 over the original T1s.

The detail extraction so far is pretty much the same as the HD800 headphones (as is the sound staging). But the HD800S's do "fix" the issues I had with the original.

Thanks you Peter. Sounds very encouraging. Keep us up to date
smile.gif

I'm not spending any more money outright, not starting from scratch on an updated version of something I already own, especially with the Trudeau dollar mucking up the hobby 
rolleyes.gif
. Time to sell off some stuff or wait for a used one.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,878 of 6,504
  I will when I write my review.
smile.gif
 Suffice it to say, the SR-009s are looking they won't have to worry too much. 
wink.gif

The detail extraction so far is pretty much the same as the HD800 headphones (as is the sound staging). The SR009s here are un-rivaled in my travels. But the HD800S's do "fix" the issues I had with the original.

How much different does the HD800 and HD800S sound? With an EQ I removed the 6khz peak with a very narrow EQ cut (so that other frequencies outside the 6k-7k range aren't cut). I didn't hear that much difference.

Would you say it's worth buying the HD800S if someone already has a HD800?

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,881 of 6,504
good to finally see a listening impression

@plakat - how does it compare to the se-master 1?

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,882 of 6,504

I do like the Ether a lot.

Quote:

Thanks you Peter. Sounds very encouraging. Keep us up to date
smile.gif

I'm not spending any more money outright, not starting from scratch on an updated version of something I already own, especially with the Trudeau dollar mucking up the hobby 
rolleyes.gif
. Time to sell off some stuff or wait for a used one.

Hi Dave: Lol, the Trudeau $. Sadly, I think this guy is gonna be our George W...just better looking. Happy Holidays!!!

How much different does the HD800 and HD800S sound? With an EQ I removed the 6khz peak with a very narrow EQ cut (so that other frequencies outside the 6k-7k range aren't cut). I didn't hear that much difference.

Would you say it's worth buying the HD800S if someone already has a HD800?

Give me some time with them. I used them for about an hour yesterday and only about 15 minutes tonight. Family just left...holiday festivities. And gotta get things ready for Santa's arrival.

Merry Christmas all!

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,883 of 6,504
  Is the headband exactly the same as the HD800? I confused myself by reading the press release, which made it sound new but it seems it might be the same.

This may be a bit of a daft question, but assume that the cable connectors on the 800S are identical to or at least compatible with the 800...can anyone confirm this pretty please?  :)

As far as I know almost all parts are exchangable (the headband even says 'HD800' without 'S', though serial numbers start afresh). Connectors are identical I'd say, though I cannot check since I don't own an original HD800.

good to finally see a listening impression

@plakat - how does it compare to the se-master 1?

Due to holidays and associated liabilities I only had a short time to compare, but I'd say they are not that far away from each other tonally (which surprised me), with the Master-1 having more bass impact, the HD800S being a bit clearer and reaching impressively low. Soundstage is a bit narrower on the Master-1. To me the S is much more involving than its older brother -- which was one point I always liked about the Master-1.

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,885 of 6,504
Are they going to discontinue the HD800 now?

As I understand both will be available for the time to come. The Manual that came with my HD800S seems to support that, showing both side by side:

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #1,886 of 6,504
After getting them last Friday I finally managed to open them. My own christmas present. 

These headphones do not have the HD650 treble (latest model with the black box), they are not kinda 99% compatible to your music collection like the HD650 . If you expect them to have the same curve then I have to dissapoint you. However they are closer now than before and this is damn good. :[]

I will upgrade my DAC in February and go for the Gungnir Multibit, until then the X7 LE's PCM1792 in Direct Mode (a relais releases the DSP thus no "dirty" processing) has to serve all conversion needs to the Valhalla 2.

This are just the first 30 minutes but the peak is definitely gone in the extend it annoyed many people (but didn't many others). The headphone is still bright though but noticably improved. A lot of stuff you will listen to is now noticably easier to tolerate. I only threw problematic tracks at them so far just to see what changed as their infamy has a special place in my memory and knowing the HD800 very well I also know its weaknesses that stand out easily, thus I start with the worst. The HD 650 wins in inoffensiveness EVERYTIME. Sometimes a track is so offensive that not even this beautiful headphone can save you from hitting the roof while making this face:

"Bananarama - Robert de Niro's Waiting",
"Nicole - Ein bisschen Frieden"
Both are kinda problematic but EASIER listenable now. It was harder before as the special brightness of the first track automatically made me lower the volume, I can listen to it better now and louder, just not loud (80db+). The same for Nicole as Nicole's SSSSS also appears on the HD650 (you can listen to them louder here). Don't worry. 

"Elvis Presley - The Wonder of You" I love this song but that tsssss in the beginning.... It's finally tolerable and no barrage of needles that hit at the same time.

"Manowar - Warriors of the World United - Live" Can be listened louder now finally.

"Public Enemy - No Sympathy from the Devil": The HD800S doesn't look good here but What were PE thinking? It's borderline on the HD650 already. Don't listen to this track loud. (also not on the HD 650 either)

impressions of soundstage, slam/punch/kick and imaging will follow. 

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,887 of 6,504
Boxing Day, hd800s on order. :atsmile:

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,888 of 6,504
Finally returning the HD 800 and waiting to buy the HD 800 S.  Looks like HD 800 S would be better and with good sound stage.  Any ideas?  I had the HD 800 for 10 days for now.  Was using it with MKIII Taboo.  Hope i am making the right choice here by returning it and waiting on the HD 800 S.

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,890 of 6,504
So far I have read nothing that would convince me that I would prefer them over my HD800. Sorry Sennheiser.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back