Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 23, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,816 of 6,504
  Its here. At last.
Arrived today in good company of HDVD800 and HD600, just switched to the balanced cable and started listening. I'll give them some time to get used to the quite different sound signature (from the Master-1 I use most these days that is).

Is this the new HD800S? And where did you order it? Im trying to get one but can't find anywhere that sell it? 

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,819 of 6,504
  Damn that sucks, why Europe first?
And how much is it in Europe atm?
And what store in Europe (online store), if I were to order it?

Because it was made in Europe 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,821 of 6,504

Unfortunately I don't have an original HD800 on hand for direct comparison, but that is due to the fact that they were always a bit off to me, including a tendency for stressful treble. With the HD800S I don't have that feeling, even at quite high volume.

Bass is quite nice actually, dynamics are very good. Still very detailed, just not so much in your face.

I don't like the sibilance and would welcome the bass (and love the black color) but I kind like the in your face detail.  

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,822 of 6,504
'Muricans like getting their toys first!

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,823 of 6,504
'Muricans like getting their toys first!

When the HD800 came out it was US first. It took some month to be available in Europe. So this is only fair now.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,825 of 6,504

thanks!

I can't deny that I have some kind of... collection tendency. And At last I could not resist the HD600 as a classic (which it undeniably is).

I've first heard the HD800S on the HDVD800 and quite liked it (therefore my initial interest in getting it). The HD800 was never my cup of tea, even with different amps (but I don't remember having heard it on the HDVD800). I often buy combinations such as HD800S+HDVD800, T1+A2, Master-1+U-05, TH900+HP-A8, to see what the manufacturer intended it to sound like. Normally I don't use these amps for other headphones. Yes, I do consider the HDVD800 a very good amp for both these headphones, but will likely never try it with other headphones. As generic amps I have the DAC2 and the V281 (which I will both definitely try with the HD800S).

What I do like about the HDVD800 is its array of inputs and its double balanced plus unbalanced outputs.

plakat...congratulations on your new toys!!!

I would consider this to be somewhat of a mistake.   My HDVA600 makes all my headphones sound amazing.   

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,826 of 6,504
  Damn that sucks, why Europe first?
And how much is it in Europe atm?
And what store in Europe (online store), if I were to order it?

Suspect they were waiting to reveal it at CES in January.

Price is very reasonable atm for exporting to US, don't know what customs will be.

​Sent you some links, try Jan Meier out.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,827 of 6,504
Suspect they were waiting to reveal it at CES in January.

Price is very reasonable atm for exporting to US, don't know what customs will be.

​Sent you some links, try Jan Meier out.

I will also be interested to get some links where to buy the HD800s in Europe :)
Thanks in advance

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,828 of 6,504
  Dear headfellows,

I just had a conversation with Sennheiser. All the headphones that were ordered have been shipped yesterday and I hope to receive them today or on Monday.

They made it till X-Mas!!!   :)

Of course all the customers who have placed a pre-order will be served as fast as possible.

Cheers

Jan

I will also be interested to get some links where to buy the HD800s in Europe :)
Thanks in advance

​​Send an IM to Jan Meier (see above ) or visit Meier Audio. The site says they're in stock.  Their gonna be out in January in the US, you might just want to wait at this point.

​Edit: spelling

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #1,830 of 6,504

I don't like the sibilance and would welcome the bass (and love the black color) but I kind like the in your face detail.  

Compared to the Beyer DT990 pro it is a lot less noticable. The HD800S don't soften the highs but don't make them more piercing either, I find. Similar in level compared to the AKG 702 that you had. Do you feel the original HD800 have more of a spike than these?

BTW the headband still says HD800 without the "S" 
eek.gif

Edit: not sure why the image is rotated by 90deg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back