Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 2, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,411 of 6,504

Yeah, this is something I've been waiting to hear.  Because maybe, just maybe, a setup consisting of tube amp and r2r DAC is better suited to the HD800 if the HD800S is going to further roll off detail.

I see where you are going with this. I have a wa5(tube) and yggy(r2r)

There is still some treble harshness on a handful of tracks using the hd800. It depends on what you are listening to. Right now I'm listening to a lot trumpet music.
Those old Louis prima tracks can sound harsh - but in fairness they sound harsh on most headphones.

It would be amazing if the hd800s could tame that without loosing any detail or without sacrificing the soundstage.

I will be buying the HD800s and will have the 2 side by side for at least a month. Interesting times ahead.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,412 of 6,504
I see where you are going with this. I have a wa5(tube) and yggy(r2r)

There is still some treble harshness on a handful of tracks using the hd800. It depends on what you are listening to. Right now I'm listening to a lot trumpet music.
Those old Louis prima tracks can sound harsh - but in fairness they sound harsh on most headphones.

It would be amazing if the hd800s could tame that without loosing any detail or without sacrificing the soundstage.

I will be buying the HD800s and will have the 2 side by side for at least a month. Interesting times ahead.

Isn't a good trumpet supposed to sound harsh? Thinking of "Scetches of Spain" from Miles Davis as a pretty god example.

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #1,413 of 6,504
Isn't a good trumpet supposed to sound harsh? Thinking of "Scetches of Spain" from Miles Davis as a pretty god example.

Miles sounds fine for the most part... so does Wynton Marsalis trumpet. Some Loius Armstrong can sound harsh, the hd650 smoothens out a lot of the creases - but of course I prefer the hd800 even on these tracks.

Another thing -  I had the LCD3f for maybe 4 months and I thought I would use that headphone for those harsh tracks. What actually happened was I would just use the HD800 instead.

This is one of the reasons I am so excited about the hd800s - If it can manage to sound smooth like the 3f and 650 but also keep the airiness, detail and wide soundstage it would nearly be the perfect headphone for me.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,415 of 6,504

Can someone answer a dumb question? The frequency response for the HD800 headphone as given on the Senn website follows...

Frequency response (headphones) 14- 44100 Hz  (-3dB)

Yet my own individual frequency response graph (attached)

shows that above 10KHz and at 100Hz     
this error of 3dB is being exceeded???

No it's not exceeded. At no point do your headphones roll off for more than 3 db relative to 1khz.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,416 of 6,504

FritzS on the Orpheus Successor thread has heard both HD800 and HD800S and the Orpheus II at a very recent headphone fair. I copied the following excerpt from another thread.

"The difference between HD800 and HD800s are not not big - HD800s is not sharpen.

But with lute music I liked HD800 more, he offers more metallic of the strings, the HD800s are a little bit to smooth for me.

Its only my personal evaluation - not an absolute benchmark! "

Maybe FritzS can offer some more details to help some people make a buying decision?

The sound differences are not big but the price differences is very big .... (facepalm)

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,419 of 6,504
this joke got very old and lost all the fun by now. Please stop being not funny.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,420 of 6,504
  this joke got very old and lost all the fun by now. Please stop being not funny.

I saw it first time, at least on this itineration, but yeah, gets borigns oon.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,422 of 6,504
  I actually think this "joke" might offend some ppl.. maybe not the smartest thing on my side to put it here.

Who would it offend? Axel Grell? Yeah, it's gotten old, but I don't see it as offensive.

Also, no need to be so harsh. Not everyone has read this thread in its entirety (although it's always a good idea to make use of the search function). And people certainly seemed to find it funny the first couple of times around.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #1,423 of 6,504
  I actually think this "joke" might offend some ppl.. maybe not the smartest thing on my side to put it here.

It doesn't offend me, no, it's just been posted too many times that it's boring and pointless rather than funny.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,424 of 6,504
  It doesn't offend me, no, it's just been posted too many times that it's boring and pointless rather than funny.

Well, to be frank I just about joined on the conversation with the HD800S, so not really know much about it.
I hope it is an improvement, would be cool.
Price is higher than the original thou?
That is not so cool 8(

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,425 of 6,504
Well, to be frank I just about joined on the conversation with the HD800S, so not really know much about it.
I hope it is an improvement, would be cool.
Price is higher than the original thou?
That is not so cool 8(

There were changes (to the better in my opinion), but the price difference is made up by the included balanced cable I'd say. It's not available without said cable though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back