Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 26, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #511 of 6,504
Well it depends what you use for comparison 
wink.gif

For me the HD 800 was always too bright. Some amps (most commonly tube amps) can mask this though, of course. But I like me a transparent signal chain.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #512 of 6,504
  True Paddy, and for those recordings outside of excellence their is the LCD-X. 

Id love to hear it actually. A lot of people had great things to say about it. But the squashed sound-stage - if it falls victim to that then I could never like it. 

I'm so excited about this new HD800s ... I was gonna upgrade tubes for my WA5 - I think ill have to put that on the back burner. I wonder what the synergy will be like with WA5

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #514 of 6,504
  Well it depends what you use for comparison 
wink.gif

For me the HD 800 was always too bright. Some amps (most commonly tube amps) can mask this though, of course. But I like me a transparent signal chain.

Well people said the Hugo was bright and dry. If you combine that with the HD800 which is supposed to be harsh then surely your gonna get an overall shrill sounding combo. I had the two together for over 2 months and the sound was incredible. It really was and I dont use the anax mod either. 

Each to their own i suppose 

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #515 of 6,504
  Should I switch from the HD800 for this...Just got it in May.

its a tough call. Ive had mine for 2 years and would be up for a change. Im wondering if the HD800 price will plummet as ill be selling mine if i like the new one.  

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #517 of 6,504
No. I don't think that price was mentioned in this topic in relation to the HD-800S. The person was writing about HE-1000 X.

did I just start a $1799 rumor?! wow, we really are funny & interesting creatures :D

Just to be clear, my press department just released a high priority communique for Sennheiser:
"I'll think about the HD800s if you price it under $500".
I promise! :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #518 of 6,504
Its has been said before but pleeeze can they rethink the model number?

HD800 MkII
HD800 Reference
HD800 Black
HD800 B

HD850
HD840
HD801
HD800 X
HD800 V2
HD800 R2

Whatever ... just not HD800S ...

reasons for the cross out as follows: the old HD800 is already considered a reference headphone. naming just black implies only a color change and they seem to be suggesting just a bit more tweaking than that. Can't use B as many b-stock items get named with a B afterwards.

But your point is so on the ball! agree 100%. Adding an "S" suffix to a naming is always a bad idea since headphones already get discussed in the plural form. Also with the way search engines work, it makes it impossible to search specifically for the new model.

I would say the HD801, HD825, (or any HD8xx...), HD800v2, or HD800mk2 seems like the most appropriate naming. I personally like HD825 the best. They wouldn't use HD801 as that makes it seem like there is hardly any difference between models.

I feel like the probable reason that Sennheiser did not drop a different number is because they want people to be able to feel free to conjecture the amount of improvements in sound quality between models. Naming HD801 makes it sound like very little changes. Naming HD850 sounds like large changes. May give people the wrong expectation. Adding an "S" suffix does not suggest any numerical improvement. This allows them to keep the HD800 pricing the same and raise the HD800S's price by however much they like based on initial feedback. They likely also kept the HD800 name intact as it has a strong reputation.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #519 of 6,504
If they co-exsit, the 800s will most likely cost more.  But I'm keeping my 800's cuz probably 800s sound closer to the newer 800 (the ones that "fixed" the 6k peak) but with "deeper" bass for a few hundred dollars more.

When will it be considered worth the upgrade is when hd850 and up comes out.  Then I'll sell my hd800's for them. (depend on their price though)

edit:  It seems in the video he was looking to find words to describe how the hd800s is better than the hd800 lol "only a bit better"...

sounds like this hd800s is a money grab... once they grab enough, hd850 or whatever hdxxx or hdxxxx will come out to grab some more (but with substantial improvements)

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #521 of 6,504
reasons for the cross out as follows: the old HD800 is already considered a reference headphone. naming just black implies only a color change and they seem to be suggesting just a bit more tweaking than that. Can't use B as many b-stock items get named with a B afterwards.

But your point is so on the ball! agree 100%. Adding an "S" suffix to a naming is always a bad idea since headphones already get discussed in the plural form. Also with the way search engines work, it makes it impossible to search specifically for the new model.

I would say the HD801, HD825, (or any HD8xx...), HD800v2, or HD800mk2 seems like the most appropriate naming. I personally like HD825 the best. They wouldn't use HD801 as that makes it seem like there is hardly any difference between models.

I feel like the probable reason that Sennheiser did not drop a different number is because they want people to be able to feel free to conjecture the amount of improvements in sound quality between models. Naming HD801 makes it sound like very little changes. Naming HD850 sounds like large changes. May give people the wrong expectation. Adding an "S" suffix does not suggest any numerical improvement. This allows them to keep the HD800 pricing the same and raise the HD800S's price by however much they like based on initial feedback. They likely also kept the HD800 name intact as it has a strong reputation.

Following that, I think HD800ME is by far the best name ... as in MoreExpensive :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #522 of 6,504
Well it depends what you use for comparison :wink:

The shame of it is the driver (If left to operate by itself) is not bright !

You should hear how how clear, transparent & extended it can sound (Hardwired with some Black Dragon headphone cable,, using just the driver minus Sennheiser's "voicing to make sure even flawed recordings sound good") listening to well recorded music through a carefully assembled ,low noisefloor , playback system.

I have to believe how much fault you find (or don't find) listening to the HD800 is directly associated to the level of playback sound you are used to hearing from what every "system" you're using. Using headphones is not much different than using loudspeakers, except that things we may not care for make themselves obvious much quicker.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #523 of 6,504
The shame of it is the driver (If left to operate by itself) is not bright !

You should hear how how clear, transparent & extended it can sound (Hardwired with some Black Dragon headphone cable,, using just the driver minus Sennheiser's "voicing to make sure even flawed recordings sound good") listening to well recorded music through a carefully assembled ,low noisefloor , playback system.

I have to believe how much fault you find (or don't find) listening to the HD800 is directly associated to the level of playback sound you are used to hearing from what every "system" you're using. Using headphones is not much different than using loudspeakers, except that things we may not care for make themselves obvious much quicker.

I remember I saw such a test somewhere with a naked hd800 driver. And those guys were also quite baffled as to why was it voiced so bright.
Maybe the 850 will the truly neutral, "voiced to not make your ears cry" variant. Or maybe some modder steps on a golden 5$ one (the anax is very good but still not enough for my overly sensitive ears).

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #524 of 6,504
I remember I saw such a test somewhere with a naked hd800 driver. And those guys were also quite baffled as to why was it was voiced so bright.

Ever tried calling a spade a spade? Maybe Senny simply don't deserve the credit they get... and the HD800 is obviously overpriced. If it's not neutral, which currently it isn't, then to me it isn't worth a kick up the ass and i wouldn't give them $50 for it. They're playin ya. Ever heard of that?
ph34r.gif
 Not trying to step on any toes or disrespect the big boys, just explaining my mentality on the issue. Meaning, currently as the HD800 stands, if i was a billionaire and slept in a bed made of $100 notes notes it wouldn't make a twinkling of difference to me, i still wouldn't bother buying them. Give me neutral or go home, quite simple really...

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #525 of 6,504
Hm, interesting. There has always been a lot of things I like about the HD800, that never quite got me over the things I didn't like (peaky treble, slightly weightless sound). If they can fix those with a little acoustic work, these could be very interesting indeed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back