Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,460 of 6,504
I recently purchased the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and any future headphone purchases I make must at least, allow for easy upgrade to balanced cables. If they come with the cables, all the better.

That said, I won't be purchasing the HD 800S. I'm very happy with my newly purchased HD 800 which I use in balanced configuration.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,461 of 6,504
  I recently purchased the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and any future headphone purchases I make must at least, allow for easy upgrade to balanced cables. If they come with the cables, all the better.

That said, I won't be purchasing the HD 800S. I'm very happy with my newly purchased HD 800 which I use in balanced configuration.

I have bought the Liquid Carbon as well and I'm gonna run balanced too but I'd prefer to get the balanced cables myself. If I want Sennheisers balanced cables I can buy them seperatly. No need for them to force it down my throat. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,463 of 6,504

I have bought the Liquid Carbon as well and I'm gonna run balanced too but I'd prefer to get the balanced cables myself. If I want Sennheisers balanced cables I can buy them seperatly. No need for them to force it down my throat. 

You can always sell it on. I'll give you $50.00. 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,464 of 6,504

Since you already have balanced cables, if you ever decide to buy the HD800S you will either have to sell your existing cables (at a loss, most likely), or you will end up with two sets of balanced cables.  How is this "all the better"?    

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,465 of 6,504
I think we should stop whining about cables in this thread.  It is what it is.

Yes, it'd be nice to have a cabling option (ala Mr Speakers, and others).
Yes, some other flagships bundle two types of cables.

But, YES, Senn is going to do whatever they want to do, so live with it and
move on.  Sell your bundled XLR cable if you won't use it.  Use it if you like
it.  Or don't buy the HD800S at all because of the cable bundling.  Who cares. :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,466 of 6,504

it.  Or don't buy the HD800S at all because of the cable bundling.  Who cares. :)

+1

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,468 of 6,504

Apparently 5 people in a very short amount of time. I think it is really gimmicky considering it is just an acoustic absorber and a paint job. Maybe if it were a totally new driver and an actual successor.

I thought folks were saying it IS a new driver?  That was many pages back, as I recall...  but I've lost track of the thread now.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,469 of 6,504
  Me five. Silly attempt to raise the price from Sennheiser. 

Its brilliant for them because the cost of producing a "balanced" wire is small dollars for them to manufacture. They are playing in the "if we build it they will buy" and folks with a pocket full of money will buy a black version of a revised HD800.  

Since I already purchased a new set of HD800 I accept and appreciate the house sound and signature it provides. With tubes I can already manipulate the sound and do the inexpensive effective Anax mod. Stock form the sound of the HD800 is too analytical and on the verge of shrill for my ears. With tubes and Anax mod this is the only thing that is making me enjoy the HD800. 

If I did not own a pair of HD800 I would without a doubt buy the "S" version. The fact I own a pair of "OLD mark 1" I'd rather buy an entirely different set of headphones that create a totally different sound signature that is more organic and analog. Since all headphones may sound "different" this is such and easy "headphone world" to play in.  If you want different sound you simply put on a different set of cans or manipulate sound with EQ or tubes. 

If I sold my virtually brand new set of HD800 mk1 on the Canadian used market I'd take a big loss and probably need to spend 500-600+ (not incl tax) more for a new black version HD800S that will virtually have an similar/identical house sound signature. If that's the case I'd rather spend aprox 1200+ bucks(double of the "upgrade cost" to HD800S")  for an entirely different set of headphones.

I guess my point is the HD800S will always have the legendary sound of the the original HD800. I know there are people that hate the sound of the Hd800. If the HD800 sounds so similar to the new "S" I think SENN will need to rely on folks that do not already own the non modded HD800 to buy the "S".

I'm all about justification. I recently purchased a Denon AH-MM400 portable headphones and PSB M4U4 IEM's and for the cost of what it would be to upgrade a HD800S ......I now have an extremely enjoyable pair of incredible portables. I appreciate SENN to produce the "S" version because this has made me think about what is important. I appreciate what I have and I've now added more different sound signatures for a wider scope of enjoyment for portable application. 

I think a large part of the excitement and distaste for the HD800S is due to cost. I think folks that do not own an existing pair of hd800 are genuinely eager to test a pair of "S".  A slightly manipulated sound of the new "S" may not have a justifiable $$$ difference for someone that owns a modded HD800 or even stock form HD800.

If the HD800 owners really yearn for the "S" I'd say buy it!!! or sell  your mk1 version an buy a totally different sound signature headphone :) 

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,470 of 6,504

+2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back