Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 27, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #661 of 6,504
  Drop the HD800 down to $999 and price the HD800S with balanced cable at $1500.

Come on Sennheiser, shake up the headphone world and it's increasingly ludicrous pricing. :)

Quite some optimistic wishes I think, but one can hope.

I wouldn't really call it anything that bad. The over $2000's are ludicrous but I don't think 1500 for a true top-of-the-line best headphone out there kind of headphone is far too much. SR-009, LCD-4, AB1266, HE1000, etc are the totally nutso ones, paying out thousands of dollars for tiny improvements over the others.

The way I see it, the thing you need is something that resolves the audio into soundwaves good enough for you to get the point. Those can be made for $20 anymore, Monoprice has an excellent example of that (the DJ2383). From there you're paying for better quality. From $20 - $100 is quite a huge jump in quality. From $100 bumping up to $300 pairs, yet another pretty big jump but not quite as big. But once you start going over that you're starting to split hairs in quality while dishing out big money for those little improvements.

Once you're over $2k I'd say you're leaving what I'd call "audiophile" and more into what I'd call "dumbass/crazy" territory. Not to belittle anyone that's done it, but I kinda see it the same as buying a Bugatti Veyron or something... just why, even if it is a freakn W16 or whatever you're just using it to get from point A to Point B all the same and I doubt you'll ever need to go 250MPH and even if did you couldn't because you're not on a racetrack. I feel one has to be just wanting a status symbol or "have it just to have it" to get one. But hey, if I was a multi-millionaire maybe I'd do it because $5k wouldn't be much to me anymore and I may as well get the very best of the best. But I, like most people, am not rich and must make responsible choices with far smaller amounts of money (not to belittle those that are better off, having more is not an inherently good or bad thing).

I personally don't think I'd ever pay over $2k for a headphone myself, it's just unreasonable. I highly doubt the LCD-4, for example, is 2.5 TIMES better than the HD800 (and according to reviews, many prefer the 800 - but I think all of that boils down to personal preferences in sound signature). Same logic being applied, the Veyron isn't several times better at being a car than a high-end sports car that's far more affordable (but still expensive to any normal person).

Though, I suppose the same logic can be applied to ones below that. For example, I doubt the HD800 is a thousand dollars better than a well-amped HD600. But you just have to know where your limits are on that. Rationality tells me that the HD800 would be noticeably better than the HD600 but whether or not it's "worth it" would be totally debatable - I highly doubt there's any black magic involved that makes the HD800 turn signals into soundwaves 4x better than the 600 does. But I'd say if you really love headphones and are audio-crazy, go for it. We all have our passions, audio is one of mine, and we pay out our asses a bit more for the things we love. This is why we work hard for a disposable income. There's some things we just don't wanna "fly coach" on, and it gives us something to obsess about and spend time doing. It's part of what makes living life more entertaining than just a passage of time.

But over $2k is wayyyy overboard even if you're an audio freak I'd say. But in the end, they'll price as much as will get them the most money. Some people are clearly buying them enough to justify the choice if they're doing it. I just know I won't be one of them.

That is of course ignoring "signature" and preferences in that department. This is considering headphones all of the same sound signature, but the world isn't so black and white of course. But even in a world of infinite colors, shapes, and sizes, I think this rationality still mostly stands.

Again, just a newbie and a kid but this is my thought process on it.

I think I may personally buy these if they're under $2k, just to put an end to my search on headphones. Once I have what's (arguably) the best there is (probably the actual best to my ears which likes it pretty true-neutral and analytical), I don't think I'll need to keep thinking about it anymore and will be satisfied. I think putting my mind to rest about it is probably worth it.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #662 of 6,504
I'd be surprised if the msrp for the hd800S is under US $2000. I think it'll be $2499 or around there. I hope I'm wrong and it's lower, but I doubt it.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #663 of 6,504
I'd be surprised if the msrp for the hd800S is under US $2000. I think it'll be $2499 or around there. I hope I'm wrong and it's lower, but I doubt it.

If it's just a 'little bit better' upgrade as they stated, there's no way they could charge almost $1,000. more of them than the HD800. I'm betting on $1,799. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #665 of 6,504
If Audeze or hifiman can charge $3000+ I don't see why Sennheiser can't.

Sennheiser is more a volume seller, the others, not as much. I bet Audeze has only sold a handful of their new  $4,000. LCD4's so far. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #666 of 6,504
I wouldn't be surprised if Sennheiser actually prices it at $1999, considering flagship prices are more of a "why not?" thing from the start. They usually have a considerable price gap from the penultimate model. And besides, a higher price generates more perceived quality. It's a cognitive bias after all.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #667 of 6,504

If it's just a 'little bit better' upgrade as they stated, there's no way they could charge almost $1,000. more of them than the HD800. I'm betting on $1,799. 

mmmm.........1799 was my guess as well, a couple of pages ago. That's with the XLR. Without the XLR, 1499 sounds very okay to me for a retuned old headphone. Senn will gain a lot of goodwill from the community if it keeps the prices very reasonable.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #670 of 6,504
  I wouldn't be surprised if Sennheiser actually prices it at $1999, considering flagship prices are more of a "why not?" thing from the start. They usually have a considerable price gap from the penultimate model. And besides, a higher price generates more perceived quality. It's a cognitive bias after all.

That was to be the absolutely dumbest & worst thing about this audiophile hobby.

personal experience has shown me that price point does not correlate well with sound quality and/or personal preference.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #671 of 6,504
  That was to be the absolutely dumbest & worst thing about this audiophile hobby.

personal experience has shown me that price point does not correlate well with sound quality and/or personal preference.

Definitely agree there.

For example, I prefer the sound of the AK120 over the 100ii, 120ii and 240 ... my Yggy over the multi-mega-buck DACs I've heard/owned/own and so on ... 

I think Sennheiser will be reasonable here though; the HD800S will hit the price of the current HD800 + the price of the factory balanced cable and the price of the current HD800 will drop by $100/200 to create some separation.  At least that's the gut feel I have based on absolutely nothing but an overly generous helping of Anna Nalick and a particularly intoxicating wine.

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #672 of 6,504
  Drop the HD800 down to $999 and price the HD800S with balanced cable at $1500.

Come on Sennheiser, shake up the headphone world and it's increasingly ludicrous pricing. :)

Drop the HD800 altogether and price the HD800S with a balanced cable at $499 and they'll sell ten times as many and make a hell of a lot more money, but greed and pretension has always been a scoundrel, especially when it defeats the original purpose for making a premium product in the first place, and that would be ummm... to make money??? Mass market sales appealing to a much bigger audience always makes more money, but some companies just cant see the wood through the trees
tongue_smile.gif

A Beats headphone costs $27 to manufacture, dig me?

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #673 of 6,504

Drop the HD800 altogether and price the HD800S with a balanced cable at $499 and they'll sell ten times as many and make a hell of a lot more money, but greed and pretension has always been a scoundrel, especially when it defeats the original purpose for making a premium product in the first place, and that would be ummm... to make money??? Mass market sales appealing to a much bigger audience always makes more money, but some companies just cant see the wood through the trees
tongue_smile.gif

A Beats headphone costs $27 to manufacture, dig me?

This is not a Beats headphones. And beats cost $15, not $27 :p

HD800 costs Sennheiser a lot of money to make, and they sell to dealers at around $1050 to $1100 USD in North America. From what I heard of the family that runs Sennheiser distribution in Canada, Sennheiser Germany makes around $500 per headphones (take this with a massive lump of salt). That's not so bad :wink:

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #674 of 6,504

mmmm.........1799 was my guess as well, a couple of pages ago. That's with the XLR. Without the XLR, 1499 sounds very okay to me for a retuned old headphone. Senn will gain a lot of goodwill from the community if it keeps the prices very reasonable.

I'm beginning to think that the 'little bit better' statement may haunt Sennheiser for quite some time if they do bump the price up significantly. Probably help drive sales of the original HD 800 though if that price does drop.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #675 of 6,504
  I'm beginning to think that the 'little bit better' statement may haunt Sennheiser for quite some time if they do bump the price up significantly. Probably help drive sales of the original HD 800 though if that price does drop.

If it's unreasonably priced then I'll definitely be going for HD800 and just modding them, I prefer the 800 color scheme over this black thing anyway. The HD800S might be a bit better but certainly not worth $1k+ more. I would hope Sennheiser knows this and won't do anything downright stupid. I think most enthusiasts would be doing the same thing I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back