Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #6,166 of 6,504
For those of you using an iDSD micro BL, what do you set your power mode to for the HD800S? If I am to follow age old wisdom of the ideal volume being at 12 o' clock, then I need to run it on turbo. In normal I'm usually keeping my volume between 3 o' clock and max. I guess giving it more power than it needs isn't going to hurt, right?

Don't worry about it, more power isn't going to hurt the mighty HD800S.

Take care to not have any of the iEMatch engaged when using HD800S.

Turbo should bring better control over HD800s, besides the louder volume, HD800S might also take advantage of the Turbo power mode in other ways.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #6,167 of 6,504
Cheers guys,

I've had these cans for a while. I think the original HD800 had really clouded my judgement, I hated those, really left a bad taste in my mouth. So I am constantly looking for negatives with my HD800S... Never just accepting the whole for what it is. A brilliant headphone.

Truth be told... Had these been my first high end cans, things would have been so different... I wouldn't stop raving on with how awesome these cans actually are.

The original HD800 is a bit tricky. The Taurus MKII with high end interconnects kept the HD 800 under control while straight out of a Hugo 1 it was too bright for me.

With the HD 800 S it matters less in what I plug it into.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #6,168 of 6,504
Don't worry about it, more power isn't going to hurt the mighty HD800S.

Take care to not have any of the iEMatch engaged when using HD800S.

Turbo should bring better control over HD800s, besides the louder volume, HD800S might also take advantage of the Turbo power mode in other ways.

I've been listening for a few hours now on the BL, just got it today...and I'm really enjoying it. It sounds very natural, neutral. No harshness detected and the bass boost actually sounds great on the HD800S. I find myself turning it on a lot more than I expected. The 3d/crossfeed effect isn't bad either, but I don't know if I'll ever really need it with the HD800S. I think it's angled drivers already help with reducing the listening fatigue that crossfeed is supposed to help with. I think I will enjoy my music for a while and try not to think about the equipment it's on.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #6,169 of 6,504
I've been listening for a few hours now on the BL, just got it today...and I'm really enjoying it. It sounds very natural, neutral. No harshness detected and the bass boost actually sounds great on the HD800S. I find myself turning it on a lot more than I expected. The 3d/crossfeed effect isn't bad either, but I don't know if I'll ever really need it with the HD800S. I think it's angled drivers already help with reducing the listening fatigue that crossfeed is supposed to help with. I think I will enjoy my music for a while and try not to think about the equipment it's on.

That is one of the things I have experienced when I first got iDSD BL - absolute enjoyment with no bounds, the music is natural and there is very little to improve anymore. It is pretty much the ideal end-game portable DAC/AMP. I also find myself turning that Bass knob more than I thought I would, but the 3D effects are more for headphones that had a small soundstage, HD800S has the largest soundstage in the world already

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #6,170 of 6,504

Try upsampling your music to DSD for playback. See if you enjoy that additional refinement that results from it.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #6,171 of 6,504
...but the 3D effects are more for headphones that had a small soundstage, HD800S has the largest soundstage in the world already

That's really true. For me, I like leaving the 3D effects turned on as it moves the soundstage in front of me, and doesn't really stretches it out sideways as is the case on my iCAN SE. At least that's what I detect through my ears.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #6,172 of 6,504
That's really true. For me, I like leaving the 3D effects turned on as it moves the soundstage in front of me, and doesn't really stretches it out sideways as is the case on my iCAN SE. At least that's what I detect through my ears.

Been listening with that on and off, it's nice on music that isn't already too bright. It's also nice for music that needs a bit of a treble boost.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #6,173 of 6,504
Been listening with that on and off, it's nice on music that isn't already too bright. It's also nice for music that needs a bit of a treble boost.

It does add some sparkle to the highs. ifi has already tamed it for the BL. The original is more accentuated, and was one reason I never owned it until the BL came along. Would have been too much for cans like the HD800S.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #6,175 of 6,504
Do you guys know of any iem that sounds somewhat like this heaphone?

Sennheiser ie800 is the closest, although it still has a very different signature, the soundstage is smaller in size, and the bass is more boosted.

Exactly like HD800S, not yet. Testing many IEMs these days so I will let you know if I find any that has a similar signature.

In terms of sound quality and when it comes to the technical part of the sound, there are many that can sound very close, but when it comes to the unique signature HD800S has, I haven't met a IEM that goes for the same signature yet.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #6,176 of 6,504
Hi everyone,

I am really curious for those that upgraded from an HD 800 to an HD 800 S, why did you do it? And in what ways do you feel the 800S is better?

Currently my system is composed of a Yggy+Rag, Utopia and HD800. For the majority of music, I've been using the Utopia. When I play video games I much prefer the HD800 due to the larger soundstage.
However, the drop in detail retrieval is apparent when I switch from Utopia to HD800, as is the less pronounced bass... in real world usage does the S fix this?

Any gamers jump to the 800S from 800 care to share their experience?

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #6,177 of 6,504
Hi everyone,

I am really curious for those that upgraded from an HD 800 to an HD 800 S, why did you do it? And in what ways do you feel the 800S is better?

Currently my system is composed of a Yggy+Rag, Utopia and HD800. For the majority of music, I've been using the Utopia. When I play video games I much prefer the HD800 due to the larger soundstage.
However, the drop in detail retrieval is apparent when I switch from Utopia to HD800, as is the less pronounced bass... in real world usage does the S fix this?

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. I have the Gumby+V280 as my system with the HD800, HD800S and Utopia.

In my opinion, the HD800S will not equal the Utopia in respect to bass precision or quantity at least not on my system. However, if you're looking to improve the experience of gaming, the HD800S may be the way to go seeing you already prefer the larger soundstage of the HD800.

Have you tried EQ with the HD800 when gaming?

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #6,178 of 6,504
Don't mean to cut between this conversation. Any recommendations for a clean, neutral yet sweet sounding amp for the HD800S? I.e. something not warm?

Background: I'm loving the pairing with the iDSD BL, and realised that my home rig sounded warm in comparison. After isolating the gear individually, I realised it's due to my iCAN SE which I use to drive the HD800S. So something that's powerful enough, not more than $400, and not of a warm signature might be a nice change for me.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #6,179 of 6,504
Hi everyone,

I upgraded to the HD 800 S because the Focal Utopia didn't exist back then.

And I got the HD 650 because the HD 800 S didn't exist back then.

Maybe I should wait a bit longer when buying new headphones :p

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #6,180 of 6,504
Ha..... well thanks a lot you two for the input. I think I will just have to get a pair from Amazon and try them out. I wish the Utopia's had a slightly larger soundstage... they would become my ultimate headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back