Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 25, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #5,762 of 6,504
It sounds good with my hugo, better with TT and gsx mk2, but id be happy with either

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #5,763 of 6,504
Thanks for all your responses!   

I got them yesterday.... They sound amazing.    The Hugo does a really good job @  Powering the hd 800 s ( i have not tried them with anything else)  but they sounds very good and loud.  I cant go pass 70% of the volume of the hugo.  That little amp/dac is super powerful for its size. 

So I think im going to be sending back my Beyerdynamics T1 2nd Gen.    Dont get me wrong, they are amazing headphones... but i do find the 800 s to be a little more detailed but the main difference is the sounds stage so much bigger than the T1s.  I fell in love with the  800 s..      

Here is what i think...  If you are on a budget, I really think that the beyerdynamic t1 2nd generation is a really good headphone for 800-900$.   If money is not an issue, the HD 800 S are for sure superior headphones but they also cost twice as much. 

Overall very happy with my chord hugo and the hd 800 s.   I have not tried a different set up but this set up sounds like heaven to me right now.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #5,764 of 6,504
kQ1EQZG.jpg

I am currently visitng Japan just testing out a bunch of headphones and I was amazed that these were available for auditioning. Being a total noob in hifi (currently a lowfier with HD598cs) I had to fiddle around for 5 minutes to actually turn the gear on. After listening to a bunch of random tracks which I did not know, I was totally amazed with the SQ and the spaciousness in both the music and on the head. I have to now go back and listen to my crappy HD598CS and cry.

By the way, can anyone tell me what the gear is connected to the headphones?

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #5,765 of 6,504
kQ1EQZG.jpg

I am currently visitng Japan just testing out a bunch of headphones and I was amazed that these were available for auditioning. Being a total noob in hifi (currently a lowfier with HD598cs) I had to fiddle around for 5 minutes to actually turn the gear on. After listening to a bunch of random tracks which I did not know, I was totally amazed with the SQ and the spaciousness in both the music and on the head. I have to now go back and listen to my crappy HD598CS and cry.

By the way, can anyone tell me what the gear is connected to the headphones?

That's the Sennheiser amp/dac that pairs very nicely with the HD 800(S). A bit pricey but generally considered a strong performer. I have not personally tried it.

Rumor has it that a new version will be launching in the near future but I have no inside knowledge.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #5,766 of 6,504
That's the Sennheiser amp/dac that pairs very nicely with the HD 800(S). A bit pricey but generally considered a strong performer. I have not personally tried it.

Rumor has it that a new version will be launching in the near future but I have no inside knowledge.

Wow, they really know how to spoil and persuade their consumers. I just stood there for a good 15 mins enjoying these wonderful cans. If I waan't in a hurry, I could stand there for an hour then maybe walk away with it

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #5,767 of 6,504

(disclaimer: owned the HDVD800 and sold it some time ago, worked great with both HD 800 versions)

Yup, that´s the Sennheiser HDVD-800 amp/dac. It has a ~40 ohm or so output impedance (quite high) which works really nice with the high impedance Sennheiser HD 800 (and 600-series). That being said, the currently sold silver version was if I recall correctly released before the HD 800 S so it was voiced in particular for the original HD 800 with the controversial 6kHz treble peak. This is why some HD800S owners (like me) are waiting for the successor as it is reasonable to expect that it will be voiced more specifically for the current flagship 800 S.

The new version is said to be called HDVD-820. It was officially supposed to be released last October after a bunch of delays, but there has been no information on it whatsoever for the last few months. Some rumors claim it was delayed to add MQA functionality (Sennheiser has a lot of co-promotion with Tidal so it makes sense) plus at least the DAC portion (which was considered the weakest link in the original product) of the product is being reworked. 

I´m hoping the head of Sennheiser high end, Axel Grell, is attending CES and some headphone site manages to do an interview with him and asks about this.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #5,769 of 6,504
I wanna ask are there any changes on the soundstage of the HD800S? Because the soundstage of it is a bit smaller than that of HD800. Will it expand to the level of hd800 after burn in?

I don't have an HD800 to compare to my S. But from all I have read, the difference in soundstage is minor. I doubt seriously it would detract in any way from listening enjoyment with the S on a day to day basis.

The S soundstage is impressive. It scales very well depending on the recording. I personally didn't notice any change in soundstage with burn-in.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #5,770 of 6,504
Soundstage difference is too close to even bother about it.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #5,771 of 6,504
I wanna ask are there any changes on the soundstage of the HD800S? Because the soundstage of it is a bit smaller than that of HD800. Will it expand to the level of hd800 after burn in?

It´s a little worse. Not a big difference, but it is noticeable to me and won´t improve with burn in. That being said, the soundstage still remains huge compared to other headphones. It won´t change the fundamental character of the HD 800. My interpretation is that it´s just the price you pay for the smoother treble. The same 6 kHz treble spike on the original HD 800 was also a big factor in creating the soundstage so anything that reduces it will have an effect. You can see it on all headphones with a wide soundstage: they tend to have a lot of treble.

On the other hand fixing the 6kHz treble peak from the original HD 800 also makes it finally possible to listen to around half of my music with the HD 800 S (vs. 20% or so with the original) so it´s an awesome deal if you ask me!

The fact the original HD 800 is still being sold has to mean Sennheiser believes they offer different flavors of sound. Most consumers will likely prefer the S version, but not everyone. I would recommend finding a dealer where you can audition both side by side. Just be aware that the original HD 800 may sound more impressive in a 5 minute audition due to the 6 kHz treble spike, but is likely more fatiguing in the long term.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5,773 of 6,504
I can understand a person not considering it an upgrade. Just like I can consider how someone could like the HD800 or S better or worse than a Focal Utopia based on system and preferences.

For example my first experience with an HD800 was with my now sold HUGO and to be blunt couldn't wait to send the HD800 back. I was pretty disappointed given the raves from most and chalked it up to my preferences and the HUGO. Now with my Liquid Gold and T&A DSD DAC I tried the HD800S and could never go back to my Audeze or Fostex both now gone. I can't compare to the HD800 BUT I can guarantee you I would like the HD800 much more with my current system than the HUGO and probably never would have sent them back.

For my tastes I couldn't ask for more with what I can achieve with my system and have little impetus to try anything "better". It hits all my high notes as I'm sure the HD800, Audeze, Fostex etc so for others. Everything is an "upgrade" if it sounds better to the end user IMHO.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #5,774 of 6,504
It´s a little worse. Not a big difference, but it is noticeable to me and won´t improve with burn in. That being said, the soundstage still remains huge compared to other headphones. It won´t change the fundamental character of the HD 800. My interpretation is that it´s just the price you pay for the smoother treble. The same 6 kHz treble spike on the original HD 800 was also a big factor in creating the soundstage so anything that reduces it will have an effect. You can see it on all headphones with a wide soundstage: they tend to have a lot of treble.

On the other hand fixing the 6kHz treble peak from the original HD 800 also makes it finally possible to listen to around half of my music with the HD 800 S (vs. 20% or so with the original) so it´s an awesome deal if you ask me!

The fact the original HD 800 is still being sold has to mean Sennheiser believes they offer different flavors of sound. Most consumers will likely prefer the S version, but not everyone. I would recommend finding a dealer where you can audition both side by side. Just be aware that the original HD 800 may sound more impressive in a 5 minute audition due to the 6 kHz treble spike, but is likely more fatiguing in the long term.

I'm actually considering a degrade. I own the HD800S and I've tried the HD800. I find the shape and the size of the soundstage are quite different between them. I buy the HD800/s for mainly classical music appreciation. Things like orchestra and piano solos. I really want a huge soundstage like listening to a live orchestra on stage. However, I found the soundstage of 800 S surrounding me instead of performing in front of me on stage. Also the 800 S lack some kind of excitement on the highs, so maybe I do need a "degrade" ?

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #5,775 of 6,504
I'm actually considering a degrade. I own the HD800S and I've tried the HD800. I find the shape and the size of the soundstage are quite different between them. I buy the HD800/s for mainly classical music appreciation. Things like orchestra and piano solos. I really want a huge soundstage like listening to a live orchestra on stage. However, I found the soundstage of 800 S surrounding me instead of performing in front of me on stage. Also the 800 S lack some kind of excitement on the highs, so maybe I do need a "degrade" ?

Look at the measurements. That 6kHz peak is NOT on the original recording. So if you want a more coloured headphone, go for the HD800. If you want a more transparent sound, then the HD800S is the better choice. I owned the HD800 for 6+ years, but the last several I rarely used it due to that peak. I now use the HD800S a whole lot more. With regards to sound staging, I found them virtually identical...just no more peak and a tad more bass down low (where it was needed as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back