Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #1,501 of 6,504

Not even remotely similar to Anax mod. Balanced cable costs $350 by itself from Sennheiser. I can't name dealers because they are accepting pre-orders through direct contact with email only at this time. You won't have to wait long though.

Cables are overpriced (you made my audiophile price gouging point), and yes they clearly didn't use an annax mod but the results are similar, tame highs and add some warmth. Not the same approach, but similar in outcome.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,504 of 6,504
the graph looks like the newer HD800 productions without the peak. So whoever got a HD800 without the peak imo should keep them cuz they are good drivers.  The ones with a peak will however transfer to HD800S and have that peak reduced. And compensate them with a balanced cable :p

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,505 of 6,504
  Cables are overpriced (you made my audiophile price gouging point), and yes they clearly didn't use an annax mod but the results are similar, tame highs and add some warmth. Not the same approach, but similar in outcome.

If the fact that the cable is $350 is supposed to make me feel better about this purchase.... it doesn't.   It has exactly the opposite effect.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,507 of 6,504
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,508 of 6,504
LOL...hundreds of thousands of people are just waiting to purchase Sennheiser balanced cables right now -- all of them want to buy used, and all of them insist on paying as close to retail price as possible.    And once the 'S' is released, more balanced cables are going to go up for sale....and as the law of supply and demand states, the prices will increase with more supply.   Not to mention that demand will also increase since many, many HD800S owners will definitely want an extra pair of balanced cables. 

rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,509 of 6,504
Look at the first post of the inside of the cups. Driver part numbers also different. Anax mod is a felt covering the metal parts and plastic bits inside the cup housing. HD800S is a absorber resonator in the centre of the driver made out of ceramic or plastic polymer.

Ah, I see what you are saying. But even with different parts, as long as the sound signature is similar does it really matter?

But hey I'm just trying to justify my HD800 Anax I just bought. :p

I do love that black though!!

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,515 of 6,504
cables are one of the higher margin items out there,kind of like an 8 dollar baked potato with a steak dinner...a 350 dollar retail cable costs sennheiser a fraction of that.....I am in the market potentially for the new HD800s but already own balanced cables from my HD800 so i would have no need for the cable 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back