Sennheiser HD800S loaner program @TTVJAudio.com
May 9, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #31 of 43
Thanks to @Todd for putting together the loaner tour and for including me. @Todd’s contributions to the community are considerable. I bought one of my first higher-end headphones from him – a Grado PS500 – when I got into the hobby.

For a while now I’ve been looking for a headphone that strikes a balance between the LCD-2.2’s bass resolution and the HD800’s treble resolution. Given that the natural, realistic bass timbre of the LCD-2.2 can be attributed – I take it – to the planar driver, it’s possible that a dynamic headphone may not be able to recreate that timbre. That’s reason enough to think there might not be a perfect headphone for me. Although the HD800S does seem to improve on the HD800 as far as bass is concerned, while taming in some measure the lower-treble glare, it’s not my perfect headphone. That said, it’s nonetheless a truly remarkable headphone.

Primarily, I used my UHA-6S.MKII and a friend’s Benchmark DAC1 to drive the HD800S. Occasionally I switched to my EF-6 to experiment with the balanced cable. I want to put the cable question to one side. Still, I preferred the HD800S out of the Leck. If I need to adduce a reason for this preference, I’ll say that the EF-6 seemed to impart a bit too much upper-mid/lower-treble energy, or that the transients became a bit too etchy. It’s something like that – whatever it is that explains my preference. I should also note that I used Spotify as my source and a GO450 as my DAC, and that I tend to listen in the 70dB to 85dB range.

Bass
My understanding is that Sennheiser has worked to increase the amount of perceived bass in the HD800S by boosting harmonic distortion. From what I can tell, they were successful. A friend of mine – who happens to own the HD800 – and I directly A/B-ed the HD800S and the HD800. In this case, we used his Benchmark DAC1 as amp and DAC. We both thought there was an increased perception of bass presence. The increase was marginal, however, and did not create the impression of listening to a pointedly different signature. To me – and perhaps to my friend – the impression was that of listening to refined signature. Because I generally prefer a forward bass presence, I lean toward the HD800S here (although I wouldn’t describe the HD800S as “bass forward”).

6k spike
The HD800S’s putative drop in lower-treble energy wasn’t immediately obvious in direct A/B testing against the HD800. Neither I nor my friend had much to comment on this point. The decrease in energy was perceptible across longer, non-A/B listening sessions. This is shown, I think, in the fact that I’m actually able to listen without fatigue to the HD800S for longer periods of time than the HD800. This conclusion is, of course, subjective as it’s grounded in my personal tolerances. But I tend to be a bit sensitive to a hot treble; the fact that I’m not particularly sensitive to the HD800S makes me think the treble has been successfully moderated. And because I generally prefer a relaxed treble presence, I lean toward the HD800S here (although, again, I wouldn’t describe the HD800S as having a “relaxed treble”).

HD800S vs HD800
I think the supposed improvements of the HD800S over the HD800 make for a marginally better headphone. I say “marginally” so as not to overstate the difference between these two headphones. The HD800S is still obviously the HD800. If you like the HD800, I would find it surprising that you don’t like the HD800S. On the other hand, if you don’t like the HD800, I wouldn’t find it surprising that you like HD800S – provided that your problems with the HD800’s signature aren’t profound.  

HD800S vs. LCD-2.2
While there are dynamic headphones that can recreate the tonality of planar bass, I have yet to find a dynamic headphone that can successfully recreates its timbre. At the same time, I’m not sure I’ve heard a planar headphone that successfully recreates the HD800S’s (or the HD800’s) treble timbre. It’s entirely possible that choosing between the two will engage one’s personal preferences. In my case, I prefer planar bass timbre to dynamic treble timbre. It seems in my experience that one might not be able to enjoy both in a single headphone. If this is the case, I will naturally tend to prefer planar to dynamic headphones. If this isn’t the case, one day I will perhaps find a headphone that is, ceteris paribus, perfectly suited to my taste.

As it happens, the HD800S isn’t perfectly suited to my taste. By that I mean it isn’t the perfect headphone for all of the music I like. (Of course, what headphone is?) It doesn’t excel with EDM-leaning electronic music, although it does excel with IDM-leaning electronic music. It’s possible that I could come to prefer the HD800S to the LCD-2.2 with respect to IDM. In that event, I would have a use for both headphones. It’s probable, however, that I would come to see the HD800S as simply an alternative to the LCD-2.2 with respect to IDM. The HD800S would allow me a better view, as it were, of the upper register of music I already enjoy with the LCD-2.2, albeit with a worse view of the lower register.

I would be remiss not to mention something about the respective comfort of these headphones. While I don’t find the LCD-2.2 to be an uncomfortable headphone, the HD800S is far and away more comfortable. My ears touch no part of the headphone; it weighs noticeably less; it better retains its position through calm head-bobbing.

Conclusion
I can say that I prefer the signature of the HD800S to the HD800. This is on account of the marginal increase in perceived bass and the marginal decrease in energy in the 6k region. If I were to pick one, I would certainly pick the HD800S. The HD800 has been, and remains, a headphone that is to me just barely bright and barely thin. I’ve been able to enjoy it in small doses, short listenings. The HD800S allowed me to listen for 2+ hour sessions without fatigue.

Considering the unparalleled imaging and the resolution of detail of the HD800S (and, for that matter, the HD800), the headphone strikes me as a very solid choice. Of course one should first listen to other potential endgame headphones. If one is an orthohead (like myself), it’s possible that the HD800S’s sound – like practically all other dynamic headphones – will not be finally satisfying. I couldn’t own the HD800S by itself; the LCD-2.2 would be a necessary accompaniment. At the same time, I could own the LCD-2.2 by itself.

Supplemental: Sample music
boerd, Dwaal
Reso, Ricochet
Scuba, Update
Sieren, Transients of Light
Submerse, Awake
Tsaik, Lemon

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #32 of 43
I just wrapped up my week with the HD800S loaner. Thanks to Todd for making this possible as it was very useful in my decision on whether I wanted to make a change to my listening rig. The only way to really get to know a product is to listen to it in your own home, on your own time, on your own equipment. I get to about one head-fi meet every 2 years and I find that while they are a lot of fun, it is difficult to draw useful conclusions due to the ambient noise and unfamiliar material.

I had limited exposure to the HD800 from meets and through an acquaintance with an HD800. I always found it amazingly articulate, but the hot treble made it a non-starter for me as a potential purchase. I signed up for the loaner review in the hopes than this problem had been solved.

Associated Equipment for Review

The only source and amp used for this review is the Ayre Codex using the balanced headphone output. I recently sold a dac and amp that combined for over $5k new because in my opinion the Codex beat them in every way with my current reference, the LCD-3F. I even preferred the Codex direct to the headphones than through the amp with the Codex on the front end. My LCD-3F had the drivers replaced under warranty a few months ago to the most recent 2016 version. I have found the update to be a considerable improvement in upper clarity. 

A short aside - Comfort

The first thing I notice about the HD800S after the LCD-3 is just how comfortable and light it feels. What a revelation! The LCD-3 gives me a hot-spot on the top of the head after an hour or so I need to take it off for a minute or two, then I’m ready to go for another decent stretch. The HD800S has to be the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. I listened for several hours on end without feeling the need to shift them or take them off.

Listening

I didn’t know what to expect from the HD800S. In my limited experience with the HD800, my conclusion was that it was amazingly detailed and articulate, but that it sounded a bit harsh up top and a little thin overall. This was not my impression with the S. My first reaction was that it sounded amazingly even.

For the rest of the review, I will compare the 800S to my LCD-3 as it is the only thing I had on hand to reasonably compare it to, and its basic characteristics and fairly well known.

The HD800S definitely throws a larger, wider, more distant soundstage than the LCD-3F. The recent driver update to the Audeze definitely creates a wider, more spacious feel than before, but the HD800S really excels in this department. The LCD-3, on the other hand, has a cozier, more intimate feel as if things are closer up. One of my favorite stereo effects is the ability to place voices around a room. The opening minute of “Diamonds on the Souls of her Shoes” from Paul Simon’s Graceland is a very good example track. The HD800S did a far more convincing job of spreading the voices around a 3D soundscape. The Audeze is not bad in this respect, and the recent driver update makes it much better than it was in previous editions, but the HD800S is just amazing. I have to believe it will share the original HD800’s reputation of being the best imaging headphone around.

For my purposes in evaluating audio equipment, there are three things need to sound “real” to me, Vocals, Percussion, Piano. This is purely a reflection of what I value in my music collection, not necessarily that I think these are holy grail type criteria. 

Vocal timber, fricatives and S sounds. One of my reference tracks for female vocals is Alison Krauss “Forget About It”. Her voice is so light with higher pitched textures that it can become unpleasant in a system which doesn’t get this right. The HD800S gets it all right without overdoing anything. The depth of texture in her voice through the HD800S sounds very real and present. The LCD-3F, in comparison, sounds silkier and smoother. There is definitely less leading edge fullness with the Audeze. The tone of voices are more opaque with the Audeze. Which presentation you would like better is a matter of personal preference, but I feel that HD800S is a more true to life representation, and it was my preference.

2.)    Percussion – This is more than about impact, it’s about what does it sound like as the mallets strike the skins? Can I hear when the snare stops rattling? How about slap bass? The HD800S sounded more real in all respects than the LCD-3F. The ability to portray fast transient effects was clearly superior. The tone of the drum more accurately relayed.

3.)    Piano – The sound of a piano is so fundamental to so much of the music I listen to that it’s one of my touchstones for evaluating equipment. There’s the percussive strike of the mallets on the strings, but then then there the fundamental and the sympathetic tones. One of my reference tracks is “Mo Better Blues” from Jacky Terrason’s Smile album. It’s a slow blues with an electric bass and drum set. The two headphones had different strengths with this and I would call it more of a push. The HD800S had better attack and the decay was more clear, but the LCD-3 had a more colorful, saturated tone that was more pleasing.

Listening Notes
In the interest of brevity,  I have condensed my listening notes below:

Allison Krauss, “Forget About It”, Forget About It
HD800S - voice further away, more steel on strings, better texture on skins of drums, fuller fricatives, thinner voice
LCD-3F – closer perspective, voice richer and thicker sounding, bass fuller and richer, but less definition

Jacky Terrason, Smile, "Mo Better Blues"
HD800S –  more growl to bass but less overall bass, more piano sparkle, can more clearly hear the background aspects of what is happening, vocalizing with improvisation, decay trails are longer; piano sounds incredibly spacious
LCD-3F  - warmer overall sound signature. Greater bass presence. Cozier perspective, more technicolor saturation of tones

Paul Simon, Graceland, “Under African Skies”
HD800S – placement of voices during acapella intro is best I have ever heard in headphones and very convincing.

New Appalachians, From the Mountain Top, “Suzanna Gal”
HD800S – definitely easier to pick out the mandolin apart from fiddle in the opening, more definition; bass sounds very far away but the attack is discernable; good sense of space from this binaural recording; strings sound more steely
LCD-3F – Smaller more condensed soundstage, string bass sounds closer and more full, can hear more definition in the bass texture as the strings are plucked hard and rattle off of the fingerboard; strings sound more bronze

Hilary Hahn, Hilary Hahn Plays Bach, “Chaconne “
Instrumental, solo violin. Close mic’d recording so no soundstage to speak of
LCD-3F – more bronze sound
HD800S – more steel sound

Prince, “I Wanna Be Your Lover”
LCD-3F – fuller, more colorful sound, softer edge; way more jamming bass!
HD800S – instruments better separated; easier to pick out what is going on with individual instruments and lines within the music.

Generalizations and Conclusions

I really enjoyed my time with the HD800S. Instruments and voices sounded real, and I felt like I could hear deeper into the recordings than ever before. Overall I would say that it gets closer to the truth of the recording than the LCD-3. However, just like with tube amplifiers, sometimes distortions or altered presentation can be pleasant and the truth isn’t as pleasant. With HD800S, however, I never felt it was overly harsh. Rather, its resolution is a sneaky thing. It doesn’t just jump out at you and scream “detail” in any annoying way. But it was not hard for me to hear much more detail than through the LCD-3. Bass presence was more with the LCD-3, but I couldn’t say it was necessarily better bass. It did have more impact, but the texture was probably a push. 

Listening through the HD800S was like seeing something fully in razor sharp focus for the first time. Overall, I felt it was a more accurate and honest headphone than the LCD-3. The LCD-3 is more impressionistic with more deeply saturated colors and softer edges. With music that is either poorly recorded or music that doesn’t really represent natural instruments (i.e. EDM or other electronic music) it may very well be preferable due to its more forgiving, smoother nature and fuller bass. You could also very easily prefer the Audeze’s silkier presentation of vocals and the midrange. My preference in an audio system is always for overall accuracy as long as nothing artificially offensive is present. For me, the problem with the HD800 whenever I heard it was the treble peak which made it a non-starter for me. The S version has completely solved this issue. It is both accurate and musical and avoids the major sin of its predecessor. I feel that it does a better job of putting me in the room with the musicians than any other headphone I have had the pleasure of using. I was so impressed with the HD800S that I will be getting one in the very near future.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #34 of 43
I have appreciated reading the reviews here.  All are nicely done with particular attention paid to putting opinions in the perspective of the author's music tastes and preferences. 

I had the good fortune to be the first to be the first stop for the TTVJ HEX tour a few months back.  I love planars -- and electrostatics even more -- but I passed on the HEX for a variety of reasons.  They have many good qualities but weren't for me.  I was a little disappointed when I got into the HD800S tour pretty far down the list and was going to have to wait a long time to try out the HD800S.

The solution to that was simple, I e-mailed and then called Todd at TTVJ and he got a pair of HD800S into my hot little hands in a couple of days.  I have been enjoying listening to the HD800S since this tour started.  OH--TODD--take my name off the list!  I won't be needing to try out the loaners.

I'm not going write a lengthy review but I will share a few impressions.  I think @KmanChu just nailed it for my personal preferences and tastes.  He saved me a lot of writing.  I play acoustic guitar as a leisure activity and jam a couple of nights a week with other amateurs.  I also listen to a lot of acoustic music, much of it not amplified. Unlike 2 previous reviewers, I do not listen to much rock and no EDM, metal or even many tracks with electric instruments.  Not much classical music in my life anymore either.  My earphone needs are clearly different than those prior reviewers.   From my perspective of listening to live and/or recorded acoustic music, the 800S is hard to beat.  It gives a very real representation of a performance with adding anything, silence is silent, strings plucked sound like strings, silky smooth yet totally detailed, no more, no less.  Total balance and realism.  No it's not a bass monster but it reproduces the bass that's there, only a fault if your a bass-head.  Ok, I confess, when I want to hear a bass cut loose on any system, I add a 3db plateau below 200Hz--does wonders when you need it and the HD800s can take it.  That's one point none of the reviews have mentioned thus far.  The 800S takes equalization very well.

Am I in love with the HD800S?  No, not really. I just respect them and admire what they do.  They just do everything I want out of a headphone.  They are light, comfortable, accurate, have no rough edges that annoy (both physically and audibly), look great, are well built and represent real value.  Sennheiser is to be commended to holding the line on prices while other manufacturers are going crazy with their flagship prices.

The voyage to the 800S has been a long and good one.  Todd took good care of me as always--always a pleasure to do business with him.  Are my headphone buying days over? Maybe, maybe not.  I have my eyes on the new Stax L-700 and am watching for the soon to be released MrSpeakers electrostats.  Ethers,  LCD-X, and HD1000 still have my eye.  So many phones, so little time!  What I can tell you is that if I pick up any of those cans, I will be keeping my HD800S as my go to headphone and benchmark for comparison. It's a keeper.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #35 of 43

Thanks, Todd, for the opportunity to review the Sennheiser HD-800S headphones.

The equipment I used is as listed in my profile :  Burson V2+,  Microzotl 2.0 (Primarily with the Burson’s DAC),  Woo Audio WA-7tp - using strictly the included DAC.
Other headphones compared:  Audeze LCD 2.2,  HiFiMan  HE-1000.

Artists/Albums  - File resolution :
Amber Rubarth / Sessions from the 17th Ward   24/96
Donald Fagan / Kamakiriad                                16/44.1
Eva Cassidy / Songbird                                      16/44.1
K.D. Lang / Ingenue                                           16/44.1                 
Marcus Miller / Afrodeezia                                  16/44.1
Mickey Hart / Mystery Box                                  16/44.1
New Appalachians / From the Mountaintop        24/96
Tedeschi Trucks Band – Revelator                     24/88.2
 All music played via my 5K Retina iMac through Channel D’s Pure Music – thence via USB to the DACs.

It is important to me to have a sense of “space” in the music – there should be “room” between the instruments.  The Phil Spector Wall-of-Sound is not for me!  As I approach 60 years of age, My ability to discern high frequencies has diminished some; nonetheless, I find overly bright music to be tiring.  It was the brightness reputation of the 800 series that originally steered me towards the Audeze line.  I have yet to listen extensively to a pair of HD800.

I also dislike bass that gets too raucous.  It is like a fighter throwing  direct, accurate, controlled jabs –vs- one throwing haymakers. 
Cut to the chase:               Winner -                HE-1000                 Best combinations:         HE-1000 / Microzotl
                                          Runner-up -         HD800S                                                          HD800S / WA7
                                          Bronze Medal    LCD 2.2                                                             LCD 2.2 / V2+

I have had the LCDs for a couple of years and my WA7 seemed to be a good match.  At least it was until I got the Burson.  The V2+ really opened up the LCDs!  So effortless in its presentation. 
It was a surprise to me, therefore, to see how well the HD800S worked with the WA7.  I had to roll the volume back nearly a whole hour to match the loudness level.  The improvement of the HD800S over the LCD on the WA7 was similar to the difference I noted with the V2+ and the LCD. 

The higher frequency range on the HD800S was noticeably more forward .  The brushed snare at the start of Eva Cassidy’s “Had I a Golden Thread” was especially telling.  This is especially pronounced on the V2+.  Not harsh – to my ears – but apparent.  Some of this might be the Sabre DAC talking as well.  The vocal breaks at the end of this song were like butter with the 800S regardless of amp. 
I still felt that the LCD bass presentation edged out the HD800S, but only when driven properly.  The LCD has a cozier, more intimate feel.  The LCD are also more forgiving.  The HD800S / V2+ combo is a very insistent presentation – rewarding with the right source material.

Much has been written about the HE-1000 / Microzotl 2.0 synergy and none of the combinations I tried  could beat it.  A very smooth upper register, excellence presence, etc. - K.D. Lang’s multi-layered vocals on “Save Me”.  and the harmonies in Mickey Hart’s “Look Away” were very telling.  The 800S handled these very well, but I felt there was better definition between the voices with the HEK.  The overlying of Mickey Hart’s poly-rhythms on top of the harmonies made for interesting interplay.

I like the planar bass sound.  Marcus Miller’s “Hylife”  has an excellent bass intro and the entire album is full of amazing licks.  The HD800 fell short of the HEK in presenting these with the clarity I enjoy.  The LCDs similarly had an edge here

Who doesn’t like double-stop fiddle?!! New Appalachians “High on a Mountain” has some good examples.  The HD800 and HEK were very close here with a nod to the HEK.  This is one of a few high-rez albums I have.  Mandolin, muted banjo, strong vocals.  Lots going on.   LCD was outclassed, but not significantly so.

I am certain that with the right equalization the HD800S would come close to the HEK – as long as you are OK with the dynamic bass instead of the planar.  The upper frequency range is very close with the HEK being (to my ears) just a bit better balanced.  This was not quite as apparent on the Microzotl, and more apparent with the Burson. (Same DAC being used) 
Just for comparison, I tried the WA7 DAC through the Burson preamp to compare the two DACs.   Burson wins!  This combo comparatively did not sound very pleasing with the HD800S . The sibilant esses in Amber Rubarth’s “Full Moon in Paris” seemed a bit abrupt in decay.

The HD800S works very well with warmer DAC / Amp combinations and I might have been tempted to get one, except for one glaring problem…..THEY DID NOT FIT!!!   I have a largish melon and found that I really could have used extensions like the ones available from Audeze.  I found my ear lobes resting on the bottom of the ear cup.  It did not affect my listening, but I know it would irritate me over time!  For comparison, I have not ordered the longer shafts from Audeze.  The LCDs fit as long as I have them at FULL extension.  The HEKs still have a couple of clicks of adjustment available to me.

The HD800S feel the lightest on the head, Followed by HEK with LCD last I often get a hot spot on top of my head from the LCDs.  I prefer the ear cup material of the HEK over the HD800S and the LCD.  The ear cups of the HEK are amazingly large (picture Princess Leia!) leaving plenty of room.  The HD800S are roomy as well with LCD again in 3rd place.  All three fit well enough over my glasses.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #36 of 43
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Thanks for the opportunity to try out the HD800S, Todd. Here's my review:[/color]

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself particularly good at describing sound or reviewing equipment. I'm going to keep my impressions short and sweet, and mostly qualitative.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Equipment[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]PC > Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Schiit Lyr 1, with Russian 1974 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shield Tubes > HD800S / HE-560 (jerg-modded)[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Overall impressions[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]To my ears, HD800S are on the bright side of neutral, and sound very spacious, natural, and engaging. A+ for most genres except very bass heavy genres, since the HD800S sounded slightly bass-light on my setup.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Comfort[/color]
On the whole, these are very light and comfortable. The ear pads are big, and don't touch the outer edges of my ear, The velour is on the harder side, and doesn't feel too warm or fuzzy. My only nit here is that the clamp on the earpads isn't evenly distributed--there is a little more pressure on the bottom of the pads, right above my jaw. This is only slightly noticeable, and might have to do with the shape of my head.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Soundstage[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Large, with a little more height than depth. Switching to the HD800S from my HE-560 feels like removing cupped hands over your ears--the music sounds like it can "breathe" more, and instruments feel like they are placed more naturally. Contrary to what I've heard about the HD800, I don't think the soundstage sounds artificially wide.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Treble[/color]
Clear, sparkly, quite quick (but not electrostatic-quick), without any obvious harshness. These cans are a little treble forward--definitely more so than on my HE-560. I got a little bit more inner detail on the treble than on my HE-560--I could just hear these region more prominently and clearly. For example, on Steely Dan's Aja, I could make out and follow rhythms in the cymbals that I didn't notice before.

The treble was a little too much for me sometimes when I turned up the volume, but this was really because I was trying to get more bass on some tracks, and not because of any spikes in the treble range. 

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Mids[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Clear, precise, focused, and natural, without sounding thin or dry. This was the part of the HD800S I enjoyed the most really--effortless, lifelike mids. These sound ever so slightly warm, but not overly so, unlike the mids on mid-centric headphones like the ZMF Omni. Detail retrieval and instrument separation in the mids (and the treble) is top tier, and very much on par with other top-end headphones I've heard (e.g. SR-009).[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Bass[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I expected these to be bass anemic, but these surprised me. The bass is focused and punchy, and has no problems reproducing deep tones from percussion instruments well. For example, the drum rolls on Steely Dan's Aja and Dire Strait's Money For Nothing sounded powerful and glorious. For almost any bass produced by real instruments, the HD800S reproduced very nicely[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]However, these are not basshead cans. On genres with prominent (synthetic) bass, like trap-y hip-hop and EDM, the HD800S felt like it lacking just a little bass to get that satisfying ompfh from the bassline. These are not basshead cans, but will deliver enough bass to make bass-centric music feel satisfying. For example, E-40's Bamboo, I found myself turning up the volume to get more sub-bass action, but couldn't really get the bass where I want to, since E-40's voice and the clap in the song just got too loud. The HD800S lacks some sub-bass quantity as well, so I don't expect these to do particularly well for movies. On Daft Punk's Solar Sailer and Hans Zimmer's Why So Serious, there just wasn't enough subbass rumble for me to really feel the dark, ominous mood that these recordings evoke, when I listen to them on my 2.1 system.[/color]

Closing thoughts
On the whole, I really enjoyed the HD800S. On everything but bass-heavy music, listening to then HD800S was a joy--nothing felt out of place or lacking. I can definitely see why many headphone enthusiasts would want a HD800S in their collection. It just does so many things right. I highly recommend these headphones to anyone but the demanding basshead. And even if you are a basshead, I would give these a try, and try to compensate for then bass with EQ or upstream gear.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #37 of 43
Finally, I got to hear the HD800S. I had so many headphones and amps that I was testing, so I'll try my best to sound coherent. Also, I do agree with most of the impressions above. So, I'll try my best not to repeat what's already been stated.

Headphones compared
HD800 (super dupont resonator modded), HE560 (soundstage/bass), and Fidelio X2 (soundstage).
I believe this is very important.  Being relatively new to all this, the best I can do is to post my impressions of the HD800S relative to other headphones that I am familiar with.

Soundstage
The soundstage is very wide and fairly deep. Deep soundstage, or out of your head soundstage, is one of the few things I look for when deciding to keep a headphone. The HD800S very much has that quality. If the HE560 had air and openness, and the X2 a characteristic sense of depth/realism, the HD800S has most of both. As it did with my HD800 you do have to give them a good listen (at least a few days of heavy listening) to really appreciate the soundstage.

Treble
Months earlier I have demoed a stock HD800 with my Valhalla 2 prior to owning the modded HD800, and I clearly noticed the peaks. It was noticeable and quite piercing at times despite my awe of the soundstage.The HD800S does noticeably help with the treble. Even compared to the my modded HD800, the HD800S overall felt like a warmer version of two albeit very similar headphones.Throughout the week I experienced less fatigue with the HD800S than my modded HD800.

Bass
Both the HD800 and HD800S have surprisingly more bass than I expected prior to trying them. The HD800S sounding more warm appear to have some effect in the lows, which makes the HD800 sound like it may have a very slight upper hand in bass clarity. But this could be my novice ears hearing things.Compared to the HE560, both do have fast bass. But perhaps the relatively smaller soundstage and darker background of the HE560 (or is it the planar sound?) made electronic and bass focused music sound more pleasant with the HE560. Not that I'd recommend either headphone for such music.

Mids
The mids of the HD800 is clear and very natural sounding. However, the mids are still a tad more thin sounding compared to the HE560, and definitely more so than the HE500 and HE400i.

Overall
I very much enjoyed this experience, and thank you Todd for the program!
The HD800S does provide an improvement over the HD800, even when modded. I did enjoy the overall more warm sound of the HD800S which made it less fatiguing. Yes, the improvement maybe very small, but it's the type of improvement that makes the HD800 more user friendly. And I appreciated that small improvement a lot.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #38 of 43

Thanks, Todd, for the opportunity to review the Sennheiser HD-800S headphones.

As others stated I do agree with most of the impressions provided so far. So, I'll try my best not to repeat what's already been stated.  Also, I will stick mainly to my impressions and not repeat technical information.

Headphones compared
HD800S (unbalanced – my decware uses 3pin XLR), LCD 2.2 (balanced and unbalanced with moon audio cables), HE600 (balanced and unbalanced with ALO Audio cables), Beyerdynamic T5p (unbalanced), and Fostex TH-900 (unbalanced)

Equipment
Setup 1:
Aurender N100H, Mytek DSD192 DAC, and Decware Taboo MKIII Tube Amp

Setup(s) 2,3,4,5
Macbook Pro, Audirvana+ 2.5.3, Woo Audio WA8 (tube amp and DAC)
Macbook Pro, Audirvana+ 2.5.3, Woo Audio WA8 (amp), Meridian Explorer2 (DAC with MQA)
Macbook Pro, Audirvana+ 2.5.2, Woo Audio WA8 (amp), Chord Mojo (DAC)
Macbook Pro, Audirvana+ 2.5.2, Chord Mojo (amp and DAC)

While I do enjoy the Chord Mojo on its own, it was the least favorite of my various setup(s).

Artists/Albums  -                                            File resolution :
Mahler / 4th Symphony                                      DSD64
Mahler / 2nd Symphony                                  DSD64
David Karakauer / Dreams & Prayers              352/24, DSD128 (both binaural)
Anne Akiko Meyers / Air: The Bach Album    96/24
Various 2L Classical Recordings                   DSD64, DSD128, 44.1/16-MQA

Brian Bromberg / Wood                                 44.1/16
Louis Armstrong / Satchmo Plays King Oliver 44.1/16
David Brubeck Quartet/ Time Out                   96/24                
Keith Jarret / Koln Conert                                  96/24
Ottmar Leibert / Up Close (binaural)             96/24
Miles Davis / Kind of Blue                              192/24
Wynton Marsalis / Hot House Flowers          DSD64

Elton John / Honky Chateau                            DSD64
Jackson Browne / Running on Empty             96/24
Apocalyptica / Apocalyptica                              44/1/16
David Elias / MQA Sampler                            44.1/16 (MQA)
Boston / Boston                                              DSD64

Comfort
On the whole, these are very light and comfortable. The ear pads are big and maybe just a little too big to sit comfortably over my ears without moving.

Impressions
As another reviewer said: “To my ears, HD800S are on the bright side of neutral, and sound very spacious, natural, and engaging” – and I agree.

There have been some comments around the bass so I particularly picked Brian Bromberg’s song “The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers” to test out how the bass responded.  If you know this piece, it is a jazz number with unbelievable bass notes at the beginning of the song.  The HD800s performed admirably.  This was not the same response for rock (Boston) or heavy electronic music like Apocalyptica.

Another song that is always a test for me when listening to new headphones (along with Brian Bromberg) is Louis Armstrong’s St. James Infirmary – Gambler’s Blues”.  With a good set-up and headphones, you will feel like you are in the Jazz Club listening to them live.  The HD800S did not disappoint.

I wished that I could have listened to the HD800S in balanced mode.  Comparing all of the headphones in unbalanced mode, the HD800S and the LCD 2.2 came out on top (though I preferred the HD800S). 

Listening in balanced mode opened up another dimension to the music – for my ears, though I know that not everyone agrees that there is a difference (significant or even minimal).  Here, even the HD600s came alive.   The Binaural music seemed to have a much clearer and wider soundstage in balanced mode.

I know that there is a lot of disagreement around MQA.  At times, the music does have a quality that seems to surpass the same Non-MQA recordings.  I have listened to the entire 2L test bench songs both in MQA and either DSD128 or 352/24 and reference David Elias above who is producing his albums in MQA format.

Overall
I truly enjoyed the HD800S, thank you Todd for his generosity, and will probably buy the HD800S, though I still want to demo the Ether C Flow.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #39 of 43
Hey folks,

Just wanted to check in and update the tour. I've got the 800S at the moment and over the last 4 days, I've been A/Bing them with my PS1000s. It'll still be a bit before I do a full write up, but I haven't had a headphone that competes so well against my favorite Grado in a LONG time. More to come...

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #40 of 43
Here we go...

Gear used: Macbook Pro running JRMC21 > W4S Recovery > Teac UD-503 or Questyle CMA600i > PS1000s, Alpha Primes, and HD800S

Test tracks:

"Happiness" by Needtobreathe - HARDLOVE
"Strasbourg/St. Denis" by The Roy Hargrove Quintet - Earfood
"Grown Folks" by Snarky Puppy - Culcha Vulcha
"Gold" by Chet Faker - Built on Glass
"Best for Last" by Adele - 19
"Common Ground" by The New Gary Burton Quartet - Common Ground
"Jupiter, from The Planets" per Sir Adrian Boult and the LSO

From the bottom up...

Bass:
Glad to hear that there's a little more oomph than the HD800s. To me, the 800's bass was only heard, but never felt. The 800S has a more palpable low end that makes kick drums a little more fun and engaging. Not as much thump as the PS1000s (my favorite headphone to date), but enough to satisfy. I will say that double-basses on the Holst reached lower and clearer than the sub-bass on either of the other two cans. Also, I think the 800S may have the leg up in ultimate resolution. I can hear finger squeaks on League's bass soloing more clearly than with the Grado or MrSpeakers. 

Mids:
Just lovely! They aren't as forward as the Grados, but they are a smooth, rich, balanced joy nonetheless. Both male and female vocals are beautifully rendered and sound very natural. Trumpet and piano solos from "Strasbourg" just sound... right. I remember the midrange on the 800 being very nice and now that it's framed a little better by a punchier low end and a less aggressive top end, I think they're even better than before!

Treble:
This was what I really was interested in. The 800 is too strident to me, and my highest hope was that Senn fixed it's abrasive quality in the new 800S. Final report: they did. Much easier to listen two whether with SS or tube amplification. Still plenty detailed, offering up more refined detail retrieval than either of my other headphones actually, but without cramming them down my throat. Intricate cymbal work is very clear, not to mention soaring violins and woodwinds. I really was very pleased to hear how balanced the treble was. Made me start to shop around a bit... Don't tell the wife!

Soundstage/Imaging/Separation/WhateverYouWantToCallIt:
Best I've heard from a headphone. Period. The PS1000 is my favorite, but the 800S bests it from a technicality standpoint. They actually have an incredibly similar tonal balance (really a compliment to the much older PS1000), but the largest difference between the two is that with the Grado, I feel like I'm on the stage, hearing everything in a much closer proximity while the Senn pushes me a few rows back, hearing things a bit more separated and defined. Makes this headphone a dual threat for both pop/rock/jazz listeners and enjoyers of classical music. 

Final thoughts:
In a single sentence: this is the best Sennheiser I've heard. A noticeable improvement on the lauded HD800 and a much more pro-sumer friendly sound that won't require you to try multi-$2000 amps to find a good pairing. If I wasn't so smitten with the PS1000, I'd shop long and hard to find a deal on the HD800S and that's something I've never felt with a Sennheiser. They're comfortable, not terribly difficult to drive (but they do like extra power), and feel like a premium product. Great improvement on their predecessor. Those are my thoughts and I'm stickin' with 'em!

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 43
I originally posted this review in the comments section of Brooko's excellent and accurate review of the 800s. I am currently using a pair of 800s sent to me by Todd. It's likely even the same pair Brooko reviewed though I don't know that.

Nice review Brooko I agree with much of what you say though I do want to add a bit of a different perspective as I mostly listened to the 800s balanced. My main system is a Melco N1a digital source into a Geek Pulse dac with it's own power supply. (I also have two dedicated lines direct from the fuse box to my listening area). The amp is a Violectric HPA v2 001 which is a true balanced amp from beginning to end. 

For comparison purposes I used a HiFiMan HE1000 V1 and a HiFiMan HE560. I didn't bother with the numerous other headphones or iems I own, I figured I should stick to equivalents. First the 800s is the richest sounding headphone I've ever heard. It can take older, thinner sounding recordings and place you in the venue where they were recorded with all the timbre and richness you could want. However, to get this effect you inevitably give up a smidgeon of accuracy. And this is reflected in things like soundstage and imaging, especially with piano. Also certain recordings are mastered using equipment that simply doesn't agree with the 800s leading to a less than ideal effect. Simply put, you shouldn't expect synergy with every recording. Can I predict which recordings? Not really but certain mastering equipment adds more coloring than other equipment and that coloring may not match synergistically with the 800s. Now don't get me wrong, I'm talking about differences that only appear on the most resolving systems.

A good example of this is Beegie Adair's very well recorded series of piano and acoustic bass interpretations of standards. At its best using the HE560 when I set the volume at the level you might find in an intimate club the instruments literally leave the headphones and are placed in front of me in true life size where I can see in my mind's eye each individual piano key being pressed. This occurs maybe 75% of my listening sessions and requires perfect electrical current which is mostly only available after midnight when most folks are asleep in my neighborhood. This near perfect imaging doesn't happen with the 800s or HE1000s which are both considered somewhat colored. Don't get me wrong, it's well known that the HE560s are notoriously unforgiving and imo add little coloration. Inevitably the 560s make listening to less than ideal recordings painful. 

So I don't consider the 800s to have perfect imaging, at least in my system. In other words to get the 800s' exceptional richness you have to give up exceptional imaging. Does the 800s still place instruments in their proper place on the stage? Of course, it's just not quite life like. Am I picking nits here? Again, of course. But that's the nature of uber high end music reproduction. And it's the trade off that must be made to make the near unlistenable, listenable. 

Having said that, I could continue to pick at the 3 headphones I've mentioned, but that's not my purpose here. The 800s is perfectly fine as 'end game' headphones. I'm going to purchase a pair as soon as the weather gets a bit more miserable and I'm spending more time indoors. Imo the 800s should be in any high end stable. They achieve a quality of sound richness and satisfaction like no other headphone I've heard. But that stable should include the best of many types of phones, with each phone matching well with different types of recordings. 

All this is to say that imo, the 800s are the best all round phones I've heard yet, and I've heard many. They make my early recordings from the 50's and 60's more enjoyable than anything else while still maintaining more accuracy on well recorded music than all but those headphones that are perfect matches for specific recordings.

Having said all that, I'm going to purchase the 800s as soon as the weather becomes bleaker and I spend more time indoors and off my Triumph Street Triple R ABS which gives another kind of rush entirely. :xf_cool: 

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #43 of 43
First big thanks to @Todd for the chance at checking out the 800S, also an apology for such a tardy post. After I was lucky enough to test these babies, my 2nd baby decided to make her appearance so life was happily upside down for a while. Now to it...

About me;
I in no means consider myself an expert in this field, I rather know that I am a very involved enthusiast with a pretty good ear for sound. What I'll offer are my straight up opinions and experience. 

Gear;

Amp(s)/Dac(s);  Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Vali, Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Fiio Mont Blanc 

Sources: Audio Technica LP-120, Sony 5 Disc CD changer, Fiio X3ii(through Mont Blanc) 

Music;

David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, The Eagles, Soundgarden, Prince. 

Prep;

Having tried the 800 I was very much interested in the 800s as it had been billed with more emphasis on the mid and low ends. I am by no means a bass head but for the original 800 to be a bit "harsh" in the highs. 

Sound;

Bass; Definitely a step up from its predecessor. Personally I didn't consider it a huge leap but there was more presence in the 800s which i enjoyed thoroughly. Is a bass lover going to love these headphones? No. This will more appeal to people looking for clarity, separation, and overall open soundstage. 

Mids; Clear and right where they should be. No decrease in detail, nice smooth sound. 

Highs; Crisp and clear, not nearly as overbearing as I found the 800 to be. A little high still for my taste? Probably, but with great improvement. 

Soundstage; Amazing. Every instrument accounted for in its own little world of the song. The 800s exposes all the components of a song providing an articulate example of everything in a song coming together to make it what it is. 

Songs that stood out;  
David Bowie's Blackstar.
Radiohead's Creep, The Bends, Kid A. 
Prince's Purple Rain, When Doves Cry.
Eagles' Hotel California, Take It Easy. 
Pearl Jam's Black.
Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. (Guitar solos wow!)
Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun.

Gear tests;
Schiit Vali added some really nice warmth to these.

Schiit Asgard added warmth, better volume control. and drove them without any problem. Total nirvana. 

Fiio X3ii with a boost from the Mont Blanc drove these almost effortless. Not that it would be my first choice in gear to use but nevertheless I was interested to see how they'd do. No surprise, very well. 

Summary/Conclusion;

I can see the Sennheiser 800s becoming a favorite of many an audiophile. The soundstage is vast including every piece of the music clearly and effortlessly. The clarity is stellar. With the extra attention paid to the low end I believe it will attract more than the original 800 does/did. I still found the highs to be up there to my taste but definitely a nice improvement. I wouldn't shy away from giving these a go again. 
Vocals  and instruments all stand out well through these cans. From the first night I was happily immersed in many of my favorite tunes, and funnily enough finding things I didn't realize were there before. Long story short, they're great headphones. Are they and endgame for me? No. They are however some of the best headphones I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. There will be a pair somewhere in my future especially used for certain songs/genres, which I also loved scrolling through my collection finding fits. They were a lot of fun to have, and again huge thanks to @Todd for the chance. Thanks for reading and happy listening!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back