Sennheiser HD800 with Ray Samuels B52 - any experiences?
Oct 4, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mahler-fan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i am new in this forum, as in other forums there are no such experiences with RSA gear.

Actually i listen to a HD800 with SPL Phonitor amp and i love all the crossfeed functions of it.
But i find this combination more on the lean side, it lacks a little bit bass and body.

One alternative product would be the CEC HD53N with balanced modus.

But some days ago i was pointed out to the RSA amps, first of all the B52.

With this wonderfull amp i could replace my SPL Phonitor, use my HD800 in balanced modus, and as i listen to music mainly with speakers and a "normal hifi system", i could also replace my Jeff Rowland Synergy preamp.

Have you experiences with B52 and HD800?
Have you made a shootout between SPL Phonitor and RSA B52 or Apache?
Any opinions about differences between a better ss or tube preamp and the B52 preamp-section?

Mr. Axel Grell, the chief-constructor of the HD800 recommends 10 ohm output impedance for a headamp for the HD800. How are your experiences?

Thanks very much for any insights and informations!

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 16
I use the Manley 300B preamplifier which is a reference preamp cum headphone amp using 300B. It is a scarily good pre (amazing, actually) and the best headphone amp I've ever heard. I plan to get some 800s soon for it.

I'd be quite surprised if any other headphone amp can match the Manley as a pre.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 16
You should check the high-end forum. A number of people are quite pleased with the combination of the HD 800 and the B52.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 16
@ IPodPJ: Please name them! With what should it run better? Please think also on the preamp functions, incl. 5 inputs, balanced in/out. I have now a nice preamp, and there are several nice preamps without headphone functions out there even second hand (so better price/value). But even for 3,5k i don´t know what alternatives are there.
My SPL Phonitor is nice, all that crossfeed settings, mono are very nice, because i listen to mono vinyl playback with just one channel input, as well broadcast with radio play, where you need the crossfeed. But even this headphoneamp doesn´t deliver the desired quality regarding the bass, slam and involving that i get from my speaker playback.
Even the built in headphone jacks in some of my gears show me, that there is more to get out of the HD800, even if the complete results with the SPL are still the best.

Perhaps one more thing, that makes it easier for you to make a recommendation: i listen mostly to classical music, other acoustic pop/avantgarde, but also rock/hard rock/blues.

Thanks very much!

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 16
I couldn't tell you about the preamp on the B52 because I've never heard it. I enjoyed it thoroughly with the HD800 for a tube amp and probably spent more time listening to it and the Apache at CanJam than any other headphone amp. Other contenders were the WA22, WA6SE, and DNA Sonett.

But I am a solid state guy and nothing performs as well with the HD800 as a balanced Beta22. Nothing that I've heard anyway. From top to bottom, it has impact at normal listening volumes with uncanny resolution.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 16
How would you compare a WA22 to the B52? And the Phoenix? All of them with the HD800.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 16
The woo is a very lush and tubey amp. If you like that tube bloom and beauty, you will have an excellent choice with the Woo.

The B52 is more accurate top to bottom and has a fantastic RSA house sound. This is a sound that is detailed from the bass, through the mids to the highs. Yet, you can tube roll to get more warmth (mullards), more detail and extension (like Telefunkens) or even more dimensionality and euphonic 3D sounds (like Amperex 7062). You are easily in the top 95% percentile of what the Sennheisers can do through headphone amps. Whether it be the 600, 650 or the 800. But again, it is not "THE BEST" as I don't think there is any best. Only sonic preferences.

The strength of the B52 shines in its excellent preamp capabilities. It replaced some very strong contenders in this regard. I now mainly listen to my speaker rig in a dedicated audio room. The preamp section has competed and bettered (for my listening preferences) a VTL 7.5 Series 2, a Manley Steelhead (I preferred a separate Einstein Phono stage and the B52 combination), the Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature Edition, Red Wine Iseabella and Pass labs X 0.2 Pre-amp.

I don't have direct experience with the Phoenix stuff, but a local audiophile buddy (ServingEquador) has the full Audio GD Setup with the HD800 which I plan to listen to very soon. I can offer better advice then.

Other than that, I've owned AMB Beta22 which ALSO works as a preamp. This thing was definitely the most crystal clear transparent amp I've ever owned. Actually, just a little too clear for me. It was the pinnacle of solid state sound that I've heard in my setup so far. If that clarity, transparency and solid state sound is your thing, I don't think the Beta22 with properly chosen parts can do any wrong. The Beta22 build I had had VERY high quality part selection which I'm sure contributed to what I was hearing.

In the end, we are using words and thoughts to represent sound. There really is no substitute for listening yourself and forming your own opinion which isn't always easy. But try to go to meets (again non-ideal listening environments) but it gives you an idea. Good luck!

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks IPODPJ.

To the OP, what did you ever end up doing...just curious.

I'm listening to Classic Records reissue of Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington - Recording together for the fist time and ..... vinyl just melts me in my seat. You can tube roll the B52 and get whatever sound signature you could want. On a Sunday night Good vinyl, good signal path, good amplification, single driver speakers = heaven!

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B52 has lots of body to it and sounds very nice. It isn't the last word in refinement though. Very nice amp, but for the price you could do better.

^ Agreed...

Don't forget Eddie Current ZDT & Balancing Act, both of them sound better than B52 in my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Agreed...

Don't forget Eddie Current ZDT & Balancing Act, both of them sound better than B52 in my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, this is extremely dependent on the tube compliment AND the source that it was being driven with. Unless you heard the same setup with the only difference being the headphone amp, I doubt one can make a claim about the sonics in relation to each other.

Having said that, Eddie Current products sound very good as well.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 16
The Phoenix sounds insanely good at less than 1/4 the price. It has a ton of power and is very enjoyable. Me and PJ agree that it is a little light on bass, while I haven't heard a B22 before he is of the opinion that a good B22 can take solid state even further. You may want to look into the $3500 Eddie Current Balancing Act, although they take forever to build and my buddy has been getting the run around on shipping from Craig for more than a month after the amp was completed (crates not done, foam for crates not ready, etc, he is fed up). In any case, the Phoenix is going to have a lot of the B22's performance (It's been a while since PJ's heard a Beta, and they're all slightly different so we'll see how much he likes his when it arrives) and be much more accessible to most people - no need to commission it.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 16
The Beta22 is without a doubt, the best solid state headphone amp I've every heard. If that's your sound, you can't go wrong. As long as the part selection is top class (as it was in the one I had), there is no turning back. Transparency, dynamics, power and linearity...it's all there.

I wanted to add that the B22 is also a custom build that normally people have to commission. Another reason besides world class sound, RSA products come with a guarantee of worry free operation. Ray's customer service is a class apart from most of the manufacturers. If there is a problem, I know I will be taken care of no matter what. Warranty or no warranty, Ray's products are bullet proof and if there are updates, he makes sure everyone gets it (mostly for free). Anyways, that feeling of security goes a long way with me. It is one less thing I have to EVER worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back