Sennheiser HD800 with a Asus Essence One Amp/DAC
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Swolern

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all. I am new to audiophile grade headphones and went all out and got a pair of HD800. I primarily listen to them on my PC. I use them for about 60% gaming, 40% music. At first i had the HD800s connected to my Essence STX sound card, which sounded like crap, until i got my Asus Xonar One amp/dac in(that i got free from a trade from a buddy). It brought the HD800s to life! Sounds amazing. IT could have a little more pronounced bass in certain genres, but definitely the best i have ever heard. My question is how much better would the HD800s sound with a high-end tube amp? I cant imagine that it gets better than this.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes it gets better but you give no information to help in directing you. I would suggest going to a head fi meet and bring your headphones so you can hear it for yourself. The values of difference are very subjective so one person might hear a GSX II and appreciate and approve of it's price. Another might like the sound but not feel it worth it. Some will not be able to tell a difference. This is the high end forum so not many will have your frame of reference in a soundcard. Your source and DAC will have a profound impact on what you can get out of your new headphones.

Welcome to Head Fi and sorry about your wallet.

d HC b

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes my wallet is sweating for sure. I'm already looking towards my next headphone purchase, it's addicting. I will look into head FI meets. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back