Sennheiser HD800 vs. HD650 (new and old) -- Comparison for those in the market
Jan 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 29
  I will pull the trigger when the HD650 go on sale again on Adorama (hopefully soon). How can you tell which ones are the new HD650 and which are old. And when did Senn switch to the new HD650? Thanks!

Post production of 2009 I believe are the new ones. The new ones have a white screen all around under the grills. The old ones have white inner and black outer screens under the grills. If you buy a new one from an authorized dealer these days, you will get a new version.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #17 of 29
Thank you!

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 29
Here is the truth behind everything you listen to. You trust the guy doing the recording, to mic the musician, to have decent monitoring, and then you waste huge amounts of money on the emperors new clothes in search of the perfect sound, that frankly doesn't exist. If you want to hear what the guy that recorded it heard, then use the same monitoring. Either Sony MDR-695 Pro, Beyer DT770 or Sennheiser HD-481. Ideally you need all of them, and depending on which pair the SM used, you wear the same. Chances are he will have had them for years so you better buy them on ebay for $15.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #19 of 29
old post

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 29
I'd also like to chime in on this thread, late as it may be.
     I bought my first pair of 650's back in 2006.  My first impression was overwhelmingly positive - smooth, musical, great detail, nice soundstage, solid bass, etc. - all the accolades these cans are famous for.  At the time of purchase the dealer persuaded me to also buy a Cardas cable, which took everything up a notch.  And so, I listened happily to my 650's for the next 8 years.
     Fast forward to 2014.  Upgrade-itis hits and I find myself auditioning HD800's and LCD-2's.  While impressive in terms of detail and soundstage, I just didn't like the overly crisp way the 800's rendered music, and wound up getting the LCD-2s.  Now truth be told, the Audeze phones were never exactly perfect.  At first, I was seduced by the phenomenal bass extension.  Though, over time, the grainy midrange and lack of cymbal shimmer never sat quite right with me.  But I got used to them, and they were my main headphone for the next 3 years.
     January 2017.  I start to notice some really great deals on the HD650s, and decide to order a pair for old-time sake.  When they arrived I took them for a quick test spin, and WOW - wait a minute - these are NOT the same 650's from 2006.  These are better than I remember.  Much better.  And it's not just the contrast effect against the LCD-2 - these new 650's seem noticeably different -  tighter bass, smooth, just right mids - crystal clear highs - 3D soundstage - all with the stock cable.  Basically a perfect sounding headphone right out of the box - and an Audeze killer.  That being said, part of the improvement could also be due to an unusually good synergy with my amp (a Burson Conductor V2, 8 watt w/ a Sabre DAC).  I know there's been a lot of debate over whether or not Sennheiser has tweaked these over the years, but I'm pretty sure they did.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #21 of 29
old post

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #22 of 29
  I'd also like to chime in on this thread, late as it may be.
     I bought my first pair of 650's back in 2006.  My first impression was overwhelmingly positive - smooth, musical, great detail, nice soundstage, solid bass, etc. - all the accolades these cans are famous for.  At the time of purchase the dealer persuaded me to also buy a Cardas cable, which took everything up a notch.  And so, I listened happily to my 650's for the next 8 years.
     Fast forward to 2014.  Upgrade-itis hits and I find myself auditioning HD800's and LCD-2's.  While impressive in terms of detail and soundstage, I just didn't like the overly crisp way the 800's rendered music, and wound up getting the LCD-2s.  Now truth be told, the Audeze phones were never exactly perfect.  At first, I was seduced by the phenomenal bass extension.  Though, over time, the grainy midrange and lack of cymbal shimmer never sat quite right with me.  But I got used to them, and they were my main headphone for the next 3 years.
     January 2017.  I start to notice some really great deals on the HD650s, and decide to order a pair for old-time sake.  When they arrived I took them for a quick test spin, and WOW - wait a minute - these are NOT the same 650's from 2006.  These are better than I remember.  Much better.  And it's not just the contrast effect against the LCD-2 - these new 650's seem noticeably different -  tighter bass, smooth, just right mids - crystal clear highs - 3D soundstage - all with the stock cable.  Basically a perfect sounding headphone right out of the box - and an Audeze killer.  That being said, part of the improvement could also be due to an unusually good synergy with my amp (a Burson Conductor V2, 8 watt w/ a Sabre DAC).  I know there's been a lot of debate over whether or not Sennheiser has tweaked these over the years, but I'm pretty sure they did.

There has been a revision of the HD 650 with the new HD 650 having silver drivers.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #23 of 29
I can relate to the OP when comparing HD800 to HD650.
Sure, the HD800 measures slightly better, but I find the frequency response of the HD800-S to have too much of a 3-4 khz suckout. This makes everything seem distant, and at first it's a cool experience. But, the more you listen, there's just not enough presence. Also, the mids are masked by the elevated treble. I never got the chance to listen to the original HD800, but I do remember the treble sounding a bit off center even on the HD800-S. It didn't sound harsh, just not very lifelike or natural.
The HD650 has very linear mids presence not many headphones get right. It sounds extremely lifelike to me. I actually found the HD650 extracts more detail than the HD800-S, because of its smooth treble, which doesn't have any noticeable peaks. The only thing the HD800/HD800S does better is amazing speaker-like soundstage. But if I want better imaging and soundstage with the HD650, I just use TB Isone crossfeed. 
Sometimes I feel like Sennheiser has sort of changed in both a good and bad way. Up until the HD800, they came out with relatively affordable headphones that measured neutral and sounded natural. Recently, they came out with the HDVD-800 amp, simply for audiophile marketing it seems. Axel Grell, Sennheiser's lead engineer, mentioned in an interview with Jude that the balanced XLR output "sound better." He should know there is no scientific proof that balanced makes an audible difference. I kind of wish Sennheiser would go back to their roots and come out with an updated HD650 with better build quality and updated maybe larger driver.

Well, that's just my opinion. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #24 of 29
I do not regret selling my HD 650.  I have used (and cherished) them for 10 years.

After getting the old then the new HD800 (not the 800S), I notice that the HD800 is addictive for 3 reasons:
• Incomparable soundstage
• Out-of-this-world presence
• Comfort

IMO, I believe the balanced cable has much to do in all three aspects (simply because things changed dramatically when I replaced the stock cable with balanced).
I wonder if the same would apply if the HD 650 were driven with a balanced cable.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 29
  I've been researching headphones for months now with a budget of $1,500.  I am lucky enough to have a high-end audio store down the road from my house and I have demoed Sennheisers, Denons, AKG, and Grados with multiple sources and amps.  Specifically, I have used a Sonos Connect (16-bit, 44.1KHz music) and Cambridge Audio Sonata streamer (24-bit, 96KHz music).  For the amp, I was using a mobile Grado amp, a high-end Bryston amp, and a Music Fidelity amp, occasionally using a Micromega MyDAC and a Peachtree iDAC in the chain when necessary.  My musical tastes favor rock, electronic, metal, folk, and hip hop.  I rarely listen to classical and jazz.

I won't get too into the sources, DACs, and amps, but I can report one simple fact:  The higher fidelity the source music and equipment, the greater the distinction will be between two different pairs of headphones.  With 24-bit music played through a good DAC and amp, headphones really unveil their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway,  I quickly found that I was a biggest fan of the Sennheiser lineup.  Their frequency response seemed to be more neutral, without lacking bass compared with the others.  Most of the AKG sets I wore seemed to lack bass, while Grados seemed very harsh in treble and scooped in the mids.  Senns just sounded more mellow and musical to me generally.  So I narrowed my choices to the HD650 and HD800 (the store doesn't stock HD600s).  

HD650s vs. HD800s

Now, I immediately loved both of these headphones, but each had qualities lacking and strong suits when A/B'd back and forth.  After listening to the HD800s, the HD650s seemed negatively veiled in treble and lacking general detail present in the HD800s.  Conversely, the HD800s seemed harsh and clinical after the HD650s.  On certain amps, the HD800s were almost painfully forward especially when listening to rock music like Nine Inch Nails of Metallica.  Again, I was demoing mainly rock, electronic, indie, and hip hop music.  With classical tracks, however, the HD800s really shine.  Strings and woodwinds just sound amazingly accurate, detailed, and live.

Now, after going into the store a couple times, I learned of the new and old version of the HD650s.  A few years ago, Sennheiser covertly modified the design of the HD650 and other headphones in their lineup, which lifted the veil in the higher frequencies and dampened the bass a little.  I realized the the HD650s I had been demoing were the old version.  Also, the HD800s were S/N ~11,000, which is before Sennheiser supposedly made a slight modification to dampen a certain high frequency spike present in the early production up to about S/N 14,000.  So, I had been listening to the most "opposite" versions of these two headphones.  I managed to convince them to let me open up a newer HD650, which I confirmed is the new version based on the appearance of the driver (more detail on this can be found in many archived threads on this site).  The difference between the new and old HD650 is astonishing.  It's not just a matter of breaking them in.  The treble and mids are much less rolled off, and the bass is much more subdued.  Also, there is quite a bit of detail and definition present with the new HD650s compared with the old.  The difference between the new HD650s and the HD800s became much more slight.  Delving deeper, the HD800s seem to have a wider soundstage where each independent instrument and frequency seem to have more separation, but not just in detail.  It's like every sound seems more isolated in the mix, more compressed as well.  Music on the HD650s seems much more cohesive, without sacrificing much detail at all.  The new version is still warmer/darker, but not by much.

In the end, I went with the HD650.

I honestly appreciated their sound more than the HD800s.  They weren't quite as clinical and detailed in the higher frequencies, but they seemed much less fatiguing and more musical.  The HD800s are simply harsh with most rock and electronic music.  Also, I managed to find more detail in bass with the HD650s, actually.  Comfort-wise, they are both extremely comfortable and well constructed.  The HD800s feel more expensive in my hands, but feel cheaper on my head.  They have a much looser and sensitive fit with wider ear holes than the HD650s.  

I can see why people who listen primarily to jazz and classical music would pick the HD800s over the HD650s, but for my tastes, I would have picked the HD650s even if the prices were inverted.

I hope this helps someone out there with similar music tastes to me who is in the same boat trying to decide between these two headphones.

I had a very similar experience, nice review!

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #26 of 29
The Sennheiser lineup has always attracted me for its sound signature, and most of all, comfort. Do not underestimate the value of non-fatiguing headphones! That applies to both the sound and the headset itself. I've tried cans that are supposedly "better" or "more accurate" than the 650s, but can't shake the perfect overall enjoyability. Especially with the right amp and dac. 

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #28 of 29
I'll add my two cents. For years, I put off getting the HD650 because of their supposed veil and darkness. I'd been enjoying my HD598 for years, but was suffering a bout of upgrade-itis. I got the Fostex TH-900. The quality in those is evident, but there is something in the tonality that sounds a bit weird to me. Maybe it's the hollowed-out mids. For sure what they have is a 7 kHz spike that causes listener fatigue for me almost immediately. After one particularly frustrating listening session, I reacted in anger by going on Amazon and pulling the trigger on the HD650, figuring that, in comparison to the Fostex brightness, some darkness might be just what I needed. I purchased them new within the last few months.

Upon listening to the HD650, I was amazed at how balanced and "ideal" they sounded to me. I cannot perceive any veil to them at all. In fact, they are quite similar in tonality to the HD598s, which I've always perceived as a relatively bright headphone by Sennheiser's standards. The HD650 has markedly better resolution and refinement than the HD598, but they are not at all darker. Also, bass is not flabby or bloated. I actually find them a little bass shy, and do a slight 50 Hz push using the parametric EQ in JRiver Media Center. With that, they sound darn near perfect to me (although they don't have the rock-solid sub-bass that the Fostex have - by far that headphone's best quality, imo). Never having heard an older version of the 650, I cannot comment on whether or not my version is different, but they do not sound like the criticisms I've heard: veiled, dark, bloated, overly smooth, outdated flagship, etc. These are very musical, well-balanced headphones. I find it difficult to be more descriptive than that, precisely because their balanced musicality prevents them from presenting any one sonic attribute with obviousness.

On the downside, I wish the clamp force was less, and the two-lump headband leaves impressions on my shaved head. I find both the HD598 and the TH-900 to be more comfortable. But the 650 sounds so good, I overlook this issue.

For reference, I'm using them with the stock cable through an Asgard 2, connected to a Bifrost Multibit via USB to my PC. JRiver MC is my preferred listening program, and I prefer FLAC or CDDA whenever possible. I listen to classical, classic rock, jazz and pop, and find the 650 to excel at all of those genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back