Sennheiser HD800 pad renovation
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MDR30

500+ Head-Fier
Pads worn after some years of use, especially the headband pad with disintegrated, sticky foam leaking out of the fabric.

Original pads difficult to find so I decided to rejuvenate the headband pad. Have ordered some third party ear pads, if they don't measure up I'll see if the original pads can be renovated as well.

But let's start with the headband pad.

Easy to remove, just pull downwards.

IMG_1283.jpg

Next, just carefully pull off the end caps (didn't get that on the camera). The fabric is taped to the plastic holder, easy to undo along the long side. Red tape put in place to protect the double sided tape used by Sennheiser (with the back of the red tape on the long side so it doesn't stick to much). As you can see, the fabric cover is really dirty.

IMG_1260.jpg

Old foam and tape can be rolled off with the thumbs, a bit tedious but it works. Do the same thing on the fabric. Quite sticky and messy so patience is required.

IMG_1261.jpg

Then soak it in warm water with soap/dish washer for 20 minutes or so.

IMG_1269.jpg

Clean properly, rinse and let dry. Next step: new foam. I used a piece of an old mattress, this material doesn't age and it must endure years of bodies pressing it down. Cut to fit, a really sharp bread knife (or even better an electrical one) will do the job.

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Put foam piece in place, remove red tape and put it all together.

IMG_1278.jpg

Some contact glue will hold the end caps in place. Hopefully this will last another couple of years.

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back