Sennheiser HD800 or K701+HD650/600+Grados+Denons ...
Aug 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's better to spent most of your money on the headphones, because the soundquality difference between good dacs and amps versus cheaper ones is way less than the difference between good and bad headphones.

Yeah, if your total budget is $100.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 68
I had the hd650, hd600, w5000, akgK501s, and the grado gs1000 I sold them all after getting the hd800 and I really don't miss them....the 800 does everything better for me. The W5000s I sold because they hurt my ears with the shrill highs. So, it was a no brainer for me and I really tried to justify keeping them but the headphones I mentioned did nothing better for me.
The K701s have sentimental meaning to me and I dropped them and a chip occured but the sound isn't affected so I really couldn't see selling them. I do think that the RS-1 is a different flavor from the hd800 and quite the contrasting phone.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, it's not believe, it's a fact!

The 800 have the transparency and the dynamic that the K701/2 have, with more low mid, so people thing they have more bass. The 800 it's a combination between the 650 and the 701/2, but more on the 701 side. they are more heavy on the head, and members complain about the 800 highs with high quality SS amps.

I heard them only with the Singlepower Extreme Tube. So, no problems with the highs.

BTW, for me the HD-800 isn't worth more than $500!

You're allowed to have an opinion but your completely off your rocker with this comment. Don't take me too seriously but I have the K701s and IMO the 800s outclass it by a long shot.

popcorn.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 68
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/twi...ml#post5837132

If you skim through and read johnwmclean's posts, you will see what I mean. He went through the same thing with HD800 as I did with the K1000(his initial stuff was even nicer than mine). He had a good source, the Cambridge 840C, and didn't think the hd800 was awesome with it running off A BALANCED BETA22! Upgraded to a buffalo32s dac and couldn't be happier. That is changing only the dac in an already great system. If you already have a top notch source and amp then ofc an HD800 would be best. If you don't, I personally think a really nice mid-hi system would do better and be more worth the money.

Edit: lol speak of the devil

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 68
The HD800's are nothing like the K701/2's or HD650 IMHO, they demolish both as far as I'm concerned, as well they should considering cost.
As to organ works - I've never heard a phone better than the HD800, the bass being the best I've heard from dynamic headphones.
Rock is heavily dependant on recording quality, Metal does not far well with the HD800's.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #23 of 68
I've been going through the same sort of scenarios lately myself.

I've been enjoying the lower to mid-level phones from a couple of manufacturers and have heard a few more. I decided that as much time as I spend listening to my headphones that I might as well invest in some higher-end gear.

It's pretty much a majority consensus that if you can afford them, the HD800 are worth the money. However, I've also read that you better have a good source and amp to realize the benefits of such a headphone. So unless you already have a high-grade source and amp, the question becomes more complicated than, "do I want to drop $1400 on one set of headphones."

So I've decided that I'll continue to enjoy my current favorite open can, the Sennheiser HD580 and compliment them with a near-reference class closed pair. After lots of research and debating, I placed an order last night for a pair of Denon AH-D7000's. With a cash back offer I'll end up paying $660 for them (roughly half of the HD800's). I don't have any idea how well my Little Dot will drive the low impedance Denons ( it did fine with my K701's I thought) but a nice SS amp may be in my near future as well.

(The other cans I considered were the LA2000 to be moded, and the JVC Victor DX1000)

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does.

mmm...ok, let me clarify from my own listening experiences. Although way better than any of the mid fi cans the HD800 falls short with hard hitting metal IMHO, it’s a mild criticism - I still find this genre VERY enjoyable with the HD800. There is a dis-connection emotionally for me with Metal, it’s like using an observational tool, it falls short or fails to get involved. Hard rock which has been recorded live (no overdubs) like Drive By Truckers does not seem to suffer at all. The HD800 seems to have an innate ability to spotlight overdubs, from a technical standpoint I can’t fault them though.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #25 of 68
If I were really determined to throw $1400 in some HPs I'd go with the HD800 or a precide AMT (if it can be bought for that price), as I only have 2 ears and can only listen to a headphone at a time.

But if I could dedicate a room in my house to a speaker system I would get some speakers (active or passive) w/ or w/o amplifier (SS and depending on speakers), an EQ (such as DEQ2496) and with the money left some damping materials for the room and I would be getting a system that would sound way better than any HP in the market.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 68
I didn't find many similarities between the K-701 and HD-800, either. They sounded completely different. I didn't find any similarity at all between the HD-650 and HD-800. They sound like they were produced by two different companies.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're allowed to have an opinion but your completely off your rocker with this comment. Don't take me too seriously but I have the K701s and IMO the 800s outclass it by a long shot.

popcorn.gif

I'm skeptical of people that have them both and do not find similarities.
tongue.gif

lol, especially the ones that have more than 13,000 posts.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #28 of 68
I think I have decided to go with a HD800 driven by a Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA. I just have a feeling that I will eventually end up there anyways, so might as well save the time buying/selling other headphones. Plus, if I end up not liking the headphones, I don't think there will be any shortage of Head-Fiers that would love to save some money buying used. I will be sure to report back in a few weeks after everything is in place. Thanks for all of your opinions!!!

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, it's not a belief, it's a fact!

The 800 have the transparency and the dynamic that the K701/2 have, with more low mid, so people think they have more bass. The 800 it's a combination between the 650 and the 701/2, but more on the 701 side. they are more heavy on the head, and members complain about the 800 highs with high quality SS amps.

I heard them only with the Singlepower Extreme Tube. So, no problems with the highs.

BTW, for me the HD-800 isn't worth more than $500!

I agree 1000%.... check out the Detroit mini meet thread. I pocketed my $1400 deposit and haven't regretted it.
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were really determined to throw $1400 in some HPs I'd go with the HD800 or a precide AMT (if it can be bought for that price), as I only have 2 ears and can only listen to a headphone at a time.

But if I could dedicate a room in my house to a speaker system I would get some speakers (active or passive) w/ or w/o amplifier (SS and depending on speakers), an EQ (such as DEQ2496) and with the money left some damping materials for the room and I would be getting a system that would sound way better than any HP in the market.

I completely agree with the speaker statement. Which is why i am completely happy with my AKG K702's as my only pair of headphones. I mainly use my speaker system for most my listening anyway. I like headphones and the K702's sound really good but i don't get the hair raising experience i do from my speaker system.

I know there are many that will say i haven't heard the right headphones yet to not want a speaker system anymore. But i know for a fact you will never get that feeling in your chest when that bass drum kicks, or that sick bass guitar line kicks in that you will from a speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back