Sennheiser HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1?
Jun 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stefhens

New Head-Fier
Hi i want to buy a new headphone for my pc,but im choosing between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Beyerdynamic T1.

My current setup is a Sennheiser pc360 headset with a Asus essence stx II soundcard.I use my headphone for 60% gaming and 40% youtube/music (mainly electronic music).Now im wondering if the HD800/T1 is overkill cause i would just use them for gaming mainly. Would i be better off with something else or perhaps something cheaper?Anyone has some experience in this?

Thank you.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 7
I believe both the HD800 and T1 are 600ohms so without a good amp they will be under powered. You should look for some 32ohm or less if you are not getting a amp. DT880/990(32ohm),Tp5,X2,all would work with your set up. Take a look at some of the write ups on them.
Good luck

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 7
If you are completely sure on getting one of the two, get the hd800. I was in the same situation as you and the clarity, soundstage, detailed sound of the hd800 sold me. It works great for electro. Extended periods of time gaming call for the sennheisers since they are extremely comfortable. The T1 has velour pads, which may get itchy.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 7
  Hi i want to buy a new headphone for my pc,but im choosing between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Beyerdynamic T1.

My current setup is a Sennheiser pc360 headset with a Asus essence stx II soundcard.I use my headphone for 60% gaming and 40% youtube/music (mainly electronic music).Now im wondering if the HD800/T1 is overkill cause i would just use them for gaming mainly. Would i be better off with something else or perhaps something cheaper?Anyone has some experience in this?

Thank you.

As I personally own this setup I would recommend an HD800 and an external amp for when your not gaming and you want to listen to music.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Of course it will be overkill to buy such high-end audiophile headphones for gaming or youtube.  Audiophile headphones are for using when your full attention is on hearing the details of music and the nuances and details of music and being able to distinguish each note and each instrument, etc. you get the idea.  I'm an audiophile, not a gamer.  You don't need to hear natural sounds.  When you are gaming you are not concentrating on the music, music and sounds are only complimentary (though important) to the game.  What you need is to hear loud and clear, distortion-less, good spaciousness, firm bass and non-harsh high frequencies.  This can be achieved with the excellent headphones you now have or similar ones in that price range and the brands you mention which are excellent.  If the headphones are old or you are tired of them, look for the current models in that same price range and quality.  Those headphones you mentioned are aimed at audiophiles and audio engineers.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Since your source is bad I'd just get some cheaper headphones. Flagships are indeed overkill if you're listening to music through youtube. Sure, they are both very nice for gaming but in your case I would get something else. Since you're listening to alot of edm and gaming as well I think DT990 would suit you nicely. They have a solid soundstage for gaming and some bass and treble for the edm. I don't know if your soundcard can run them though - I don't know anything about soundcards.   

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 7
you can also look into swapping the op-amps in your stx cards before venturing into amp investments:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

I've recently swapped out the stock opamps and went premium with the muses. It definitely made a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back