Sennheiser HD800 ear pads smell
Jun 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
Um, a bit of a weird question. I've noticed a bit of a smell coming from my less than 1 week old HD800s, where the earpads are. I noticed them after I put it back into the box for a day then took it out again (I didn't remember smelling anything when I first took them out? or maybe i just didn't think to smell it).

But anyway, the smell is kind of like fishfood (actually I just smelt the box, it sort of smells a bit too). I'm not dirty or anything but summer has kinda started, is it me? What can I do about it? Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 11
I remember reading about HD 650 boxes having a nasty chemical odor from the adhesives/foam when new from the factory, and imbuing the headphones with that odor as well. Might be the case here as well. IIRC it goes away after some time. The suggestions you'll probably get will include putting the entire headphones in baking soda, washing the ear-pads in your laundry detergent or shampoo, or setting them up in a plastic bag with orange peels or something else to try and suck the odor out. Personally, I'd call the dealer/manufacturer and complain - for the SRP on those...really. It's like buying a Jaguar and having it smell like death right off the lot; that's not acceptable no matter how much cash you have to waste.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 11
From my experience after open many HD800's boxes, I think they always come with that "unique" smell. It's smell like... emm... wheat?

Well, it's all normal actually, and it's supposed to be coming from the factory itself, not from you.

But yeah, unfortunetly some people dislike that smell too much.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Um, a bit of a weird question. I've noticed a bit of a smell coming from my less than 1 week old HD800s, where the earpads are. I noticed them after I put it back into the box for a day then took it out again (I didn't remember smelling anything when I first took them out? or maybe i just didn't think to smell it).

But anyway, the smell is kind of like fishfood (actually I just smelt the box, it sort of smells a bit too). I'm not dirty or anything but summer has kinda started, is it me? What can I do about it? Thanks.

You sure the earpads were dry from your sweat when you put it back in the box? You can be fresh out of the shower when you use them but if you sweat on them after that, and then put it in an enclosed dark space, some microbes will begin to multiply in it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Use some men cologne 
tongue.gif
 (on the pads)

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back