Sennheiser HD700 user looking for AMP and DAC
Oct 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

briman1000

Head-Fier
I already own the HD700's and have done tons of research regarding solutions. I think I would like them separate for upgrade ability yet the potential of being able to travel with a all in one solution would be nice since I am military and travel often. Anyway, I want to spend as little as possible but am all about bang for the buck. If $500 gets me a long term solution I can do that. If $125 does it all then that is cool too.
I would also like to be able to use IEMs with it so a gain switch is ideal. Also would like it to have pre outs for my powered speakers.I have considered:

DACs
Modi 2 Uber(like the power cable to get rid of USB issues)
Meridian Explorer (has line out and headphone amp. Could be used with amp at home and all in one on the road.)
Objective DAC
HRT Music streamer 3

AMPS
Magni 2 Uber (has pre outs)
Vali 2 ( has pre outs)

ALL in one
JDS Element
One of the IFI products maybe?

I was using a Asus Essence STX but had to get rid of my desktop and move to a laptop so now its on ebay.
What else am i missing. Thoughts? Somebody has a Modi 2 U and Vali 2 in the For sale forum I am itching to buy. Thanks for any and all help.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 6
You might also put the Teac UD 301 on your list. It is little darker amp than the ones you've picked so it tames the highs of the 700's a little. It has both single ended and balanced outputs that are fixed or variable so with powered speakers you can control the volume with the knob on the unit. I had it for a while and it served me well it also does DSD . Just a thought .

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 6
You might also put the Teac UD 301 on your list. It is little darker amp than the ones you've picked so it tames the highs of the 700's a little. It has both single ended and balanced outputs that are fixed or variable so with powered speakers you can control the volume with the knob on the unit. I had it for a while and it served me well it also does DSD . Just a thought .

Hm, sad to know UD-301 is not a neutral-sounding amp 
frown.gif

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Oct 4, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Nov 8, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 6
I got the jotunheim with dac. It sounds awesome. I am sure many things do though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back