Sennheiser HD700 (and AKG 550, Grado sr325E and others tested today) vs Shure SE420
Dec 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

parajba

New Head-Fier
Preamble: I own a set of Shure SE420 coupled with an iPhone 6 (all my music is in lossless format). I also own a Denon mini system M31.
I would like to buy a new set of headphone exclusively for home use. So I went ot my local shop today (Richer Sounds) and tested a few.

I tested the Grado SR325, AKG 550, a few Sennheiser in the £150-£250 range including the momentum, all on my iphone. I then tested the HD 700 on their system (Amp Marantz PM6005, £299 amp.). Well, I was blown away by the HD 700. The sound stage was so...wow. I almost cried. I was so blown away that I left the shop feeling confused and refused to buy anything until I have a better idea of what I actually need to buy. The staff were wonderful.

My budget is £250 max, and ideally the source would be my iphone. I find the iPhone 6 + SE420 to be a good combo, albeit it lacks a bit in sound stage.

If you were me, what would be the best options to improve my listening experience...?

- Buy an open headphone
- Buy a better IEM
- Don't buy anything if you are planning to keep the iPhone as source as you are pretty much maxed out at source then
- Buy a DAC
- Buy a FiiO amp
- Forget about it, your next step is a proper amp and any decent open headphone

PS: I tested the SE420 on my Denon and iPhone and could really not tell the difference. I generally think I have good ears if it helps, not audiophile by any means but definitely interested in music and the engineering behind it (I am an engineer after all).

Thanks all for your help!

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Righti, quick update.

Did a lot of research and purchased a FiiO E11k and a pair of AKG K702. All worked out quite OK money wise (Amazon, <£200).

Should receive it on Thursday.

I am curious to hear the difference once they have completed the burn in period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back