Sennheiser HD6X0 w/ OTL vs DT880/600 vs Focal Clear
Dec 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LeonidK

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, recently I pulled the trigger on DT880 600Ohm and matched it with the lovely Feliks Echo II with upgrade tubes. I can tell the Echo is a spectacular amp, but I feel like DT880 is just not entirely my cup of tea. It sounds great with classical music, but I also listen to a lot of jazz/funk music and DT880 is not competent enough in bass department for my taste, also I would like a bit more meat in the midrange and calmer treble. I listened to HD600 and 650 numerous times and they never blew me away, I thought they sounded ok. A bit claustrophobic and lackluster bass, IIRC still more meaty than DT880 tho. But I heard that 6X0 line transforms into entirely different headphones with OTL amps and I've never listened to them that way. Does it really make such significant difference to open the soundstage up and bring up the bass?
I'm still worried a bit about imaging, because I listen to a lot of symphonic music and headphones like Sundara are pretty terrible at that as they have literally zero imaging and separation. AFAIK HD6X0 are not great at that either.
Another route without overcomplicating things is to go for something like Focal Clear which I love, I could pair it with Topping MX3s which I'm not able to sell anyway. I assume such cans could outperform Sennies even on worse amp. I'll just add that M1570 was the perfect headphone for me SQ-wise, but I had to sell them due to their weight.
What would be your advice? Sennies and Beyers have been on my radar because recently I became more interested in headphones that were built to last, unlike most planar cans, even though they do not hold that well against modern competition soundwise.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 4
I also have the DT-880/600 and the Monolith M1570 (but in my case I'm able to tolerate the weight and they remain in my stable). Love them both, but they are certainly different beasts.

Take a look at the SASH Tres - it's lighter than the M1570, has at least as much bass, and also has magical mids akin to the Senny 6-series. I have the Tres 45ohm, but the new Tres SE is apparently even better in the treble department.

I've never heard it, but quite a few people here talk about the Audio-Technica R70X as a worthy competitor to the HD 6X0. It's 470 ohms so should pair well with your Echo.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I also have the DT-880/600 and the Monolith M1570 (but in my case I'm able to tolerate the weight and they remain in my stable). Love them both, but they are certainly different beasts.

Take a look at the SASH Tres - it's lighter than the M1570, has at least as much bass, and also has magical mids akin to the Senny 6-series. I have the Tres 45ohm, but the new Tres SE is apparently even better in the treble department.

I've never heard it, but quite a few people here talk about the Audio-Technica R70X as a worthy competitor to the HD 6X0. It's 470 ohms so should pair well with your Echo.
Thanks, never heard about this brand before. Looks like a really solid build. I just saw you wrote a review of them so I'm on my way to read it :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 4
never heard about this brand before
It's the ultimate definition of a boutique headphone maker: literally one guy building to order. I'm guessing his production is measured in dozens of units per year, so not a lot of people have heard of the brand before.

Regarding my review, I initially had some trouble getting past the recessed treble, and my writing probably reflects that. In the ensuing months, I've really come to appreciate the sound signature for what it is. It's such a treat. As it happens, was listening to Grant Lee Buffalo's Fuzzy on the Tres when I spotted your message and started typing this reply. Gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back