Sennheiser HD650?
Apr 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Question: Would anyone know which would have roughly the same amount of bass reproduction as the IE8s on 2nd bass dial? HD600 or HD650? I listen to electronic and house so bass is slightly important.

Past Question: I know that the HD650's have a 1/4inch jack terminating at the end of it, but since I would use it with a 3.5mm jack, I would obviously have to use the adapter. Is this adapter supplied any good, or does it degrade SQ?

Said this before recently, but the HD650 have the best representation of how my speakers sound of any headphones I've heard so far, easily by far the best.

As for your 3.5mm jack, I would reterminate them instead of using the adapter, very easy to do.

Good luck in your search

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Said this before recently, but the HD650 have the best representation of how my speakers sound of any headphones I've heard so far, easily by far the best.

As for your 3.5mm jack, I would reterminate them instead of using the adapter, very easy to do.

Good luck in your search

How easy is "Very easy to do"? I'm kinda hopeless at DIY and will be pretty nervous when doing DIY. Also, do the HD650's have a glossy plastic look to it? I'm not sure.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #18 of 25
I believe it was noted they were made with carbon fibre at one point, or maybe that's just the HD600, not sure where I read that.

But yes they do have a shiny plastic look to them, as they are made of polymers. I don't expect polymers to look like metal. Suffice to say, I love their appearance, they look good. And they are comfortable, albeit not AD900 comfortable, but can listen for hours easily.

But it's the speaker sound that I'm loving the most now. Some may say recessed, but then my speakers sound recessed compared to the AD900s also. They don't have the typical headphone presentation which is what makes them unique. Whether you will like that sound or not, well for you to decide.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 25
The HD 650 terminates with a standard 1/4" jack.

The "adaptor" is a short cable - 1/4" jack socket to 3.5mm jack plug.

This is done so there is no strain on the 3.5mm socket when using the adaptor lead.

I would *not* advise cutting off the 1/4" jack and replacing it with a 3.5mm one.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just buy a replacement cable with end terminated in 6.25mm?

Just checked headroom (Some Cardas one) and it's way over my budget... Sure I may be just starting to buy expensive stuff, but $185 for a cable is just not for me.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 650 terminates with a standard 1/4" jack.

The "adaptor" is a short cable - 1/4" jack socket to 3.5mm jack plug.

This is done so there is no strain on the 3.5mm socket when using the adaptor lead.

I would *not* advise cutting off the 1/4" jack and replacing it with a 3.5mm one.

Oh right, it's one of those adaptors with a wire in between. I was thinking of some crazy straight plug adaptor (from 1/4" to 3.5mm)
redface.gif
(Like HD600 adaptor)

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

New Question:
Past Question: I know that the HD650's have a 1/4inch jack terminating at the end of it, but since I would use it with a 3.5mm jack, I would obviously have to use the adapter. Is this adapter supplied any good, or does it degrade SQ?

The adapter is fine; it will not change the sound.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Oh right, it's one of those adaptors with a wire in between. I was thinking of some crazy straight plug adaptor (from 1/4" to 3.5mm)
redface.gif
(Like HD600 adaptor)

If you really want to recable after you have perfected your setup, including source, amp and headphones within your means, send me a private message and I can help direct you with some options, that won't require you to ever use a soldering iron. Far cheaper than buying from HeadRoom or Moon Audio, not that they are not good options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back