Sennheiser HD650 weird noise in very deep bass sound
Nov 14, 2009 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

laobrasuca

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I tried to find an answer to this concern of mine in this forum, but couldn't find none, so I'm creating this thread.

Actually, what I'm talking about is that when listening to very low frequency sounds/very deep bass (like this: YouTube - bass mechanics-bass zone(tremendous bass) or this: YouTube - Bass mechanics - Deep low bass or other) with my Sens HD650 at a given volume (medium to high volume) I hear a parasite noise as if the external metal grid was vibrating a bit out of control, like a buzzzzzz (not really loud) sound. First I though the noise was due to some artifacts in the audiotrack itself, but when listening to other headphones (Sens HD515, for example) this noise was no longer present. So I would like to know if other Sens HD650 users/owners hear this same parasite noise or if my headphones are in bad shape. FYI, my headphone is 7 months old (complete normal use, not a scratch).

Thanks in advance,

lao

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm listening to it right now with my HD-650's and I'm not noticing any buzzing abnormalities. I'm listening through an amp though which eliminates distortion at higher levels.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 17
No buzz with my HD650 but those tracks shook my head big time. I'm wonder how stronger it could get with the CD version as opposed to the lossy encoding from youtube.

I'm using a revealing tube amp if that helps.

Thanks for the links. Good demo tracks.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 17
Check if any stray hairs sneaked past the foam pad and is touching the driver. I noticed a similar effect with my HD600 when low bass notes were played and found out it was because of an errant hair vibrating against the driver.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Oh God, my head

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 17
which amplifier are you using?

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 17
I felt like head was going to explode for real.

Nov 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 17
Have a look maybe something is lodged under the pads vibrating on the diaphragm, if not return the phones they should be under warranty.
Do you play a lot of heavy bass music? If your amp has a big DC offset on its output it will cause a shift in the position of the headphone diaphragms and playing heavy bass music would stress the diaphragm even more, possibly causing damage. If would be advisable to check DC offset as a precautionary measure.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 17
thank you all for your attention, I appreciate that.

I'm using is the new ZERO, 2009 version, with 3 LME49860MA (one in the DAC and the two others in the AMP section). But, since I noticed the buzzzz noise only with the HD650 and not with the HD515, I though the DAC/AMP should not be the problem. And actually it is not the case. The problem, you may think it is silly but is true, is as Steve_72 suggested:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check if any stray hairs sneaked past the foam pad and is touching the driver. I noticed a similar effect with my HD600 when low bass notes were played and found out it was because of an errant hair vibrating against the driver.

and johnwmclean too:

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look maybe something is lodged under the pads vibrating on the diaphragm, if not return the phones they should be under warranty.

right in the target!! I took the foam pad off and guess what: a small number of hairs was sneaked close to the driver... I removed them, put back the foam and stuff and, dude, no more buzzzz noise anymore! Silly, hum? But it is fortunately true! I told it to my lady and she said:"what? are you kidding me?" Well, no!

Once again, thank you guys for you concern and help
wink.gif
God bless,

lao

ps: I do not usually listen to such a deep bass sound, it was just to test the frequency response of the headphones. They kick too much, can't listen to this the entire day
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 17
I like to see this kind of helpfullness. It demonstrates the real value of online forums. Nice job, guys.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have had this problem for quite a long time with my hd555, THANKS A LOT MAN
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back