Sennheiser HD650 thoughts
Nov 2, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

davve

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

today i have the hd595's. I'm planing to upgrade to the hd650's. Is it worth it?
I have the M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard and darkvoice 336i with RCA tubes.

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 45
Once a owner of HD595,

YES.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 45
definitely try the hd600 too

i prefer the hd600 to hd650

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 45
As someone who owned and liked the HD650 and who still likes them and who out of principle and audio snobbery refuses to put the HD595 on his head, I suggest that you take the step to the TOTL Sennheiser. the Darkvoice should get it to sing most acceptably. You may however, find that the slightly less slick sound of the HD600 is more to your taste. If you have the opportunity to try both prior to buying you should do so.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 45
I'm considering these headphones also. I also read that these headphones benefit from recabling with the Cardas cable, which cost almost another $200. Would that be a significant upgrade, a really subtle difference, or is it all still source/amp dependant? I know these phones scale very well with certain amps.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

I also read that these headphones benefit from recabling with the Cardas cable, which cost almost another $200.

The Cardas cable is worth it, if your budget allows. But, at the price of just the headphones, you are still getting great sound for the money.

Recently, I restored my HD650 to stock for sending to repair. The sonic difference was not readily apparent in that both were very enjoyable. I had to focus to spot the difference. Musically meaningful improvements are had by the Cardas, but I would not call it "necessary" or even "large."

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 45
My budget definitely allows for it, since I do plan on spending over $500 on a new set of cans to upgrade from my AD700s (open cans for those who may get confused). I'm just doing a lot of reading, searching, and chatting/asking questions here so I'll finally make my decision on whether I should get these Senns or my other option, the ATH-AD2000, which ever might suit my musical needs fine.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering these headphones also. I also read that these headphones benefit from recabling with the Cardas cable, which cost almost another $200. Would that be a significant upgrade, a really subtle difference, or is it all still source/amp dependant? I know these phones scale very well with certain amps.

Cardas isn't worth the price IMO.. You'd be better off going with Moon Audio, Zu Mobous, or getting one custom made by Alex.. Don't remember his companies name...

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 45
As someone who went on kind of a wild goose chase to find a better phone than 595s, I can say that the 650s are definitely worth the upgrade. I knew I wanted a headphone with more bass and so I tried the DT990s. They had a much bigger, airy soundstage, which I liked, but the mids were definitely inferior to the 595s. So then I tried the Denon D2000s, which were more fun than the 595s, but I found them a lot more fatiguing. So I finally settled on the 650s, which I worried would be boring out of my Hornet (according to numerous posts). They were exactly what I was looking for. Bigger soundstage, more bass, more refined, but in my opinion they're still fun.

What surprised me was that I preferred the 595s to both DT990s and D2000s. They are good headphones. But the 650s are definitely better, to my ears. My one recommendation, though, is that you try to find them used, as it's not uncommon to see them on the FS forums in mint condition for around $260.

I can't comment on the recable. They sound fine to me stock.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

My budget definitely allows for it, since I do plan on spending over $500 on a new set of cans to upgrade from my AD700s (open cans for those who may get confused). I'm just doing a lot of reading, searching, and chatting/asking questions here so I'll finally make my decision on whether I should get these Senns or my other option, the ATH-AD2000, which ever might suit my musical needs fine.

The 650's really over emphasis the bass IMO.. If thats your thing then I'd go for it.. I'd say the AD2000/Sen 600 has less exaggerated bass, more 'natural, tighter, less bloated.. Also going balanced really tightens up the 650's bass.. Good SE headphone amps do the job too, along with some mods..

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 45
I do like a bit of coloration of the bass in my music, just as long as it doesn't overshadow the music. My AD700s, though has great tight bass after over 200 hours burn-in, lacks impact, and from that I don't feel too involved in the music.

I'm just looking for headphones within the $500 price range or over that has a wide soundstage (a definite must), great bass impact and tightness with a bit of coloration (no bloatedness though), liquidy and smooth sounding mids as well as smooth highs without sibilance or harshness, and scales well with amps (unlike my ATs) since I do plan on upgrading to better tube amps than my current Little Dot II++ with upgraded tubes.

I do plan on going balanced once my budget allows for it. I've heard the HD650s sounds even better balanced. For now, I'll just stick with my little single ended amp (LDII++)
600smile.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

I'm just looking for headphones within the $500 price range or over that has a wide soundstage (a definite must), great bass impact and tightness with a bit of coloration (no bloatedness though), liquidy and smooth sounding mids as well as smooth highs without sibilance or harshness, and scales well with amps (unlike my ATs) since I do plan on upgrading to better tube amps than my current Little Dot II++ with upgraded tubes.

I don't think you could have written a better want ad for the 650s if you tried. The only negative in that description that some people hear in the 650s is bloatedness, though it's possible they were either listening on the wrong amp or that they just prefer a bass-light presentation. Also the 650s don't have the widest soundstage available in that budget, but they're wider than the Denons, which lots of people have been enjoying lately.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

I do like a bit of coloration of the bass in my music, just as long as it doesn't overshadow the music. My AD700s, though has great tight bass after over 200 hours burn-in, lacks impact, and from that I don't feel too involved in the music.

I do plan on going balanced once my budget allows for it, but I'll stick with single ended amps like my LDII++ for now.

You are describing to a T the JVC 1000.. Awesome bass.. Goes very low with great extension.. & amazing soundstage, especially for a closed can.. I'd rank them in the top 3 of in production dynamic cans... a Colored mid range.. Smooth & lush.. But they are 700.. They are also very, very, comfy.. & a beauty to be hold..

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas isn't worth the price IMO.. You'd be better off going with Moon Audio, Zu Mobous, or getting one custom made by Alex.. Don't remember his companies name...

If you're going the recable route, include the Revelation cryo-silver in your consideration. Really lets the 650s reach their full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back