Sennheiser HD650 newbie Questions First time purchasing DAC, AMP
Nov 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

youngguitar

New Head-Fier
Hi after spending 10 hours reading through forum I am still so confused and dont  fully understand about what are Tube, solid, AMP, DAC.. ... etc I dont really need a full answer or explanation, I just need some advise on what should i purchase between 100-170$. In future i might increase the budget but I just spend a lot for the hd650 already. :frowning2:

I just ordered the Sennheiser HD650. I previously own the Hd595 and Triplefi 10 and Those headphone dont need DAC or AMP so This is my first time purchasing DAC AMP.....

I wonder if DAC and AMP are sepperate divide or they are the same thing?. For example Is the Fiio E17 a DAC or AMP?? and why the Fiio 09 + 017 would sound better than the 17 itself???

I will use my laptop dell latitude E6230(It is an 12inch laptop so i dont think the sound card is good) and samsung galaxy s4 to listen to music I wonder what should i purchase. My budget is from 100-170.  I prefer something portable but I am ok with the destop setup as I will only listen to music in my apartment and will not bring the headphone anywhere else. After reading through a lot of topic I think the Fiio e17 is what i need but i just want to make sure i got it right :p. and Do i need to get the Fiio 09 as well and what the different between combo e09+e17 vs E17 itself. 

Please give me a clear answer like since this is my first time so I dont know much and it is so confused.
: Laptop/Phone ->"type of cable like usb-to-miniusb or normap 3.5mm output ext"-> "AMP-Name"->HD650 .

I also have a few newbie question if you dont have time please just tell me what to do :D i dont really need an explanation. 

What quality of music should I use. Does MP3 320 good enough? I sometime see people use CD DISC with their CD player(cost less than 90$), does it make any different if you listen to the MP3 or lossless file on your laptop?

I head about beside the 3.5mm output I still can use the USB as output. I never try this before, what is the benefit of doing it and does it improve the quality if i only have the E17 and not some fancy 1000$ AMP?

If i have to choose to purchase AMP or DAC which should i purchase. 

Note: I dont listen to any specific type of music. I listen to whatever sound good to me. I listen to Pop, violin, classical concert, country more often than Rock. 

Thank you very much for your time

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi Youngguitar,

Quote:
  I wonder if DAC and AMP are sepperate divide or they are the same thing?. For example Is the Fiio E17 a DAC or AMP?? and why the Fiio 09 + 017 would sound better than the 17 itself???

I am not an expert, so probably what I will tell you is partially or completely wrong. That said, the Fiio e17 is a DAC and an AMP. It is, a DAC is a Digital Analog Converter, it takes a digital signal (1 and 0 coming from your computer for example) and convert it into an analog one, which can be hear throu your headphones after amplification. The e17 can make both: convert the digital signal of the computer into sound, and amplify it.

The HD650 have a high impedance (other person can explain probably better than me, what impedance is), and it means they need good amplification. The FIIO e17 can somehow drive the HD650, but not to optimal levels. That is why the people (including me), uses the e17 together with the e09. The E09 is not a DAC, only an AMP, but this amp can drive the HD650 properly (IMO).  If you have a good source (a good CD player for example), which has its own good DAC, you can connect that source to the E09 using a RCA cable, and then you dont need the E17. But many sources (computers, laptops, CD players) have cheap DACs installed, and that is why the people uses the combo E17/E09: to have a good conversion of the digital signal into "sound", and to have enough amplification for their headphones.

The combo E17/E09 sounds very well together with the HD650 IMO, but it is a matter of taste and budget.

I hope I am not confusing you even more, and that other head-fiers explain it better.

Daniel

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 3
I am not an expert, so probably what I will tell you is partially or completely wrong. That said, the Fiio e17 is a DAC and an AMP. It is, a DAC is a Digital Analog Converter, it takes a digital signal (1 and 0 coming from your computer for example) and convert it into an analog one, which can be hear throu your headphones after amplification. The e17 can make both: convert the digital signal of the computer into sound, and amplify it.

The HD650 have a high impedance (other person can explain probably better than me, what impedance is), and it means they need good amplification. The FIIO e17 can somehow drive the HD650, but not to optimal levels. That is why the people (including me), uses the e17 together with the e09. The E09 is not a DAC, only an AMP, but this amp can drive the HD650 properly (IMO).  If you have a good source (a good CD player for example), which has its own good DAC, you can connect that source to the E09 using a RCA cable, and then you dont need the E17. But many sources (computers, laptops, CD players) have cheap DACs installed, and that is why the people uses the combo E17/E09: to have a good conversion of the digital signal into "sound", and to have enough amplification for their headphones.

The combo E17/E09 sounds very well together with the HD650 IMO, but it is a matter of taste and budget.

I hope I am not confusing you even more, and that other head-fiers explain it better.

Daniel

Thanks you Diniel

I probably will get the e17 for now and will get an e09 later when it is on sale.
I wonder if we can only choose 1 should we choose dac or amp. I mean which part is more important and should spend more on. I read through the forum and it doesnt make sense to me that people spend like 1000-2000 on dac and amp to drive a 500usd headphone. how should we distribute money on DAC, AMP, Headphone.

Can I just get an e09 and find some cheaper DAC rather than the e17 and get the same result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back