Sennheiser HD650 maintenance
Mar 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MicroOp

New Head-Fier
I'm a happy HD650 user for 8 years now. I'm using the headphones on a daily basis and the paddings and grills are showing that. Do you advice to replace the paddings and continue using it for the next years or will other parts start breaking down too and will I have to replace the complete headphones in a while?

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 12
Pads are typically the first to go.  I'd replace them if they're showing significant wear.  Sennheiser USA service/parts dept sells lots of replacement parts for the HD650.  Best to call them.  They don't show all they offer on their website.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 12
I have been looking around and found the ear pads for about 45 euro and the had padding for about 10 + shipping. I'm just wondering if the rest of the headphones will still do it's job in lets say 5 years.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 12
The rest of the headphones should be fine since there is really nothing that can break down. I'm still trying to find a site for the pads cheaper than 70 USD, but it seems like every place is pretty consistent with the price.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Does anybody know a place where you can buy the pads cheaper than 44 euros for the ear paddings and 9.3 euros for the head pad in Europe? (Prices from http://www.thomann.de/)

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 12
I have been looking around and found the ear pads for about 45 euro and the had padding for about 10 + shipping. I'm just wondering if the rest of the headphones will still do it's job in lets say 5 years.

Most parts are user replaceable. The most expensive are the drivers, but I've had a pair of hd580s for nearly 20 years. I've replaced the foams twice, upgraded the cable and added 650 grills. All took seconds (the cable) to a couple of minutes (the ear foams). Drivers still going strong.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 12
That's nice to hear. How doe the eBay foams compared to the original ones? Is there a good comparison/experience topic about them?

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 12
  That's nice to hear. How doe the eBay foams compared to the original ones? Is there a good comparison/experience topic about them?

Here's a set I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251893542993?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=550779586683&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This includes the foam protectors for the drivers.  Very comfortable with material options.  At first they felt different because they were thicker than my degraded older set.  But then I got used to the higher clamping force and didn't think about them.  I would expect the same experience with the stock OEM parts.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 12

I tried to insert a link to one of the versions I bought recently but I don't have enough permissions to do that yet.  Just google, ""2 Version Replacement Cushion Ear Pad For HD545 HD565 HD600 HD650 Headphovne"  including the typo.  These are comfortable with good fit.  They include replacement driver protection foams.

At first they feel different because the new ear foams are thicker than the degraded pair.  But then I don't notice them anymore.  Just as comfortable as I remember the original foams. You can also pick fleece or velvet fabric.  At $12 including shipping, I felt they were a great buy.  There are less expensive options too if you feel lucky. I wouldn't be surprised if they are fine.

Since all foams collapse over time, I'm not seeing the added value of $70US for a replacement OEM pair.  That's why I tried EBay.  Happy with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back