Sennheiser HD650 + LDM = Whoa!
Feb 26, 2007 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
So I bought a Little Dot micro to use with my Sennheiser hd 595's and was suprised by the sound quality and robust sound the micro provided. Then I plugged my 650's into the LDM to see what the little demon was capable of, and I was pleasantly surprised. The Micro honestly holds the 650's heavy demanding signature well. Details? bass? balance? sound stage? kick in the lazy monsters pants? check, check, check, check, and check. As of now I am comparing the LDM with my X-Cans V3 and the while the X-cans is a definite winner it's a lot closer then I would have predicted, I expected the little dot to murder the 650's. I will try to post some more impressions later when I have more time, but as a first impression I am shocked.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Uh, well, dunno mate... I have a LDM+ and a Hornet "M" and HD650s... and the difference between the Hornet and LDM+ is like night & day... The LDM+ has smeared highs, bloated/muddy bass and average dynamic range... while the Hornet has much more defined, precise, extended, sharp highs, punchier/cleaner/tighter bass and much more dynamic range. Also there is less noise floor with the Hornet and better instrument separation and soundstage... I think the LDM+ is a really low-end amp and it's only marginally better than the headphone out of an Ipod...

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, well, dunno mate... I have a LDM+ and a Hornet "M" and HD650s... and the difference between the Hornet and LDM+ is like night & day... The LDM+ has smeared highs, bloated/muddy bass and average dynamic range... while the Hornet has much more defined, precise, extended, sharp highs, punchier/cleaner/tighter bass and much more dynamic range. Also there is less noise floor with the Hornet and better instrument separation and soundstage... I think the LDM+ is a really low-end amp and it's only marginally better than the headphone out of an Ipod...

x2. My LDM+ didn't do jack compared to the Hornet. In fact...it did so little that I often opted to delete it out of my equipment chain.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 10
I think you're missing the point. What i was getting at was that for 50 dollars the amp exceeded my expectations, not that it is on par with a Hornet or the like.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm with you buddy
biggrin.gif

Don't listen to those naysayers
wink.gif
If you like it it's cool, and before Rick and JLai jump at me with "But the Hornet is SOOOO much better": I have a Hornet myself
cool.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Hell ya. Hornet also costs 7x as much, if Hornet was not better I would find both of you in the depths of this country and bury each of you alive with a pair of Triports!

Did I mention your Hornets are nothing compared to my murderous Darkvoice? Shush.

And to Op: Keep in mind, while there are large price differences between all of these amps, in reality the differences do not happen to be at the same degree as the price, rather think of the price going up in a exponential scale.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I mention your Hornets are nothing compared to my murderous Darkvoice? Shush.

What do you power it with on the go? A car battery?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Plug it into my bicycle power generator
k1000smile.gif

Btw, for all that Hornet is worth, there is the Larocco's offering that beats it out... although not quite as small :wink: (LDM is not all that small either, especially if you count the monstrosity power supply).

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 10
LDM doesn't have a power supply. I think you're confusing the Little Dot Micro+ with the Little Dot Micro Tube.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 10
I only mentioned the Hornet cause the poster above mentioned it and I agreed. I think you guys missed the most important part of what I typed -->

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact...it did so little that I often opted to delete it out of my equipment chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back