sennheiser hd650: burn in time and veil? first impressions
Mar 4, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Since it seems you are enjoying them more try a little test, remove the foam and see if the sound is more to your liking. If no put the foam back in, if yes then get a panty hose and cut a piece to act as a barrier to dust and hair. Good luck.

Well i've heard of this mod, and i'd be keen to try it, but am uncertain of how to remove the ear pads to get at the foam...the instruction book just says the ear foams are replaceable but not how to get at them, and they feel pretty in there.

Appologies for the naive (et peut etre somewhat fearful) query.

best
mcygn

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #17 of 25
It is disconcerting the first time you do it, but with one hand your grab the ear piece and with the other you pull on on end of the pad. You will hear "snap" then you move a 1/4 down repeat and continue all around.

Usually when the pad comes off the foam comes with it. Then you just peel it away (should come of easily). Then you get an old or new knee-high (preferably in black) and stretch it over the ear piece, you snap the foam pad back on. Now very carefully you cut off the excess while pulling at it (I used a razor). Good luck.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco
I think I may be in the Senn camp, I just don't know! I listened to the 595s a couple of weeks ago and was interested in the sound. I have the 880s now and love them, but not for all types of music. I need a all-rounder. See my sig for a WTT.
Thanks, Colin

I'm in the same boat! I'm really interested in the 650 lately, had the DT880 and the treble got too much. I also had the HD580 but that was the first headphone i sent back after few days already, it did absolutely NOTHING for me
confused.gif
. Right now i have the earlier "dark" version of the PX100 which i love, and a KSC-75 which i love for their in-head sound. Maybe a Senn 650 and Grado 225 will balance out each other greatly depending on genre, thats my current plan
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcygn
Well i've heard of this mod, and i'd be keen to try it,

Removing the foam really makes a big difference. It actually makes the 650s a bit too bright, they don't seem to be as balanced.
Anyway, from your original post I never would have thought the 650s were for you. I know burn in changes them, they clear up and tighten up, but I would have thought that you would have dumped them. I'm glad you're liking them. They really are great cans.
As far as aftermarket cables, they make a slight difference, very slight. The foam mod does more. Try that first if you're wanting to brighten them a bit.
Good luck.

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
As far as aftermarket cables, they make a slight difference, very slight. The foam mod does more. Try that first if you're wanting to brighten them a bit.
Good luck.

It's completely the opposite.

Aftermarket cable makes a huge improvement over a stock cable but when I removed the foam the difference was very small. Removing the foam opens them up SLIGHTLY and removes the veil SLIGHTLY but G52 did all of this much more effectively. I also ripped a pieces from tights and replaced the foam with that so there won't be any dust or dirt getting into the drivers.

Still removing the foam costs you nothing so I recommend it.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
It's completely the opposite.

Aftermarket cable makes a huge improvement over a stock cable but when I removed the foam the difference was very small. Removing the foam opens them up SLIGHTLY and removes the veil SLIGHTLY but G52 did all of this much more effectively. I also ripped a pieces from tights and replaced the foam with that so there won't be any dust or dirt getting into the drivers.

Still removing the foam costs you nothing so I recommend it.

I suppose we'll just have to disagree here, no offense, it's just what my ears told me. I was able to compare Zu Mobius, Silver Dragon, Cardas, and stock cables (I think that's what was there) all at the same time on different headphones. It was extremely difficult to hear any difference, extremely difficult. But, when I removed the foam I heard a huge difference in the treble and significant amount in the mids.
Those are just my experiences and as I said, I don't mean to offend.
I agree with you that since removing the foam is free he should at least try it. I think aftermarket cables each give the 650s their own different signature, that's why I have a Zu Mobius, it's very subtle. The foam mod was way too much of a difference for me.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I suppose we'll just have to disagree here, no offense, it's just what my ears told me. I was able to compare Zu Mobius, Silver Dragon, Cardas, and stock cables (I think that's what was there) all at the same time on different headphones. It was extremely difficult to hear any difference, extremely difficult. But, when I removed the foam I heard a huge difference in the treble and significant amount in the mids.
Those are just my experiences and as I said, I don't mean to offend.
I agree with you that since removing the foam is free he should at least try it. I think aftermarket cables each give the 650s their own different signature, that's why I have a Zu Mobius, it's very subtle. The foam mod was way too much of a difference for me.

Nobody want's to offense anybody here. Just told you how I felt about this thing.

When I got my G52 I first had hard times hearing the differencies also. But when I eventually tried the stock cable again I could hear them. Suddenly everything sounded much worse than with the G52.

I must notice that I removed the foam only after I got G52 so that might make the difference more subtle.

And to make that comparison fair you should've compared the cables with the same headphones. All of the 650s propably sounded slightly different because they all have different burn in times and other qualities (like clamping force and hardness/softness of the earpads) which might affect the sound.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 25
There is no question that the cables available for the HD650 can make a large difference. I liked the headphones with the stock cable but found it rather "soft focus" and distant. Every cable I tested with the same pair of headphones made them sound different, always better in at least some ways. A balanced amp with balanced cables made a massive difference.

I ended up with single-ended (meaning normal) Cardas.

Cardas headphone cable summary

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #25 of 25
aside: sourcing cables when not in the US
Since there seems consensus that cables do make a difference (tho i can't find a direct comparison here of cardas and equinox unbalanced's), i've started a thread in cables etc at

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168577

to ask about uk sources for various cables (i could find 2) and

to ask about buying direct experiences (since there seems to be such poor numbers and overpricing on imports)

Please uk'ers, join the discussion at
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back