Sennheiser HD650 amp/dac problems
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

niglu93

New Head-Fier
Ive purchased a pair of Hd650s but I dont have an amp or dac, If possible i would like a portable solution to use on my sofa and in bed, Would a Fiio E17 and E09 be good enough? I also saw the combined O2 and ODAC, Is that any good and how does it compare to the Fiio combo?

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Ive purchased a pair of Hd650s but I dont have an amp or dac, If possible i would like a portable solution to use on my sofa and in bed, Would a Fiio E17 and E09 be good enough? I also saw the combined O2 and ODAC, Is that any good and how does it compare to the Fiio combo?

The FiiO E17 and E09 (and even E5) are probably good enough. What is it you want? More power? A new toy?

The O2+ODAC provides, in most opinions, better sound than the FiiO's. That's what I would buy.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 14
You can ask for advice on the proper section (portable headamps) if you are looking for portability. 
You'll get more responses there. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 14
The FiiO E17 and E09 (and even E5) are probably good enough. What is it you want? More power? A new toy?

The O2+ODAC provides, in most opinions, better sound than the FiiO's. That's what I would buy.
nonononono. You will most likely need to get a O2 + ODAC or a audio gd 15.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 14
Home use is not entirely portable I'd say. The O2+ODAC would suffice.

That said, how would you use your DAC exactly? On your sofa or in the bed? If you plan to use the iPod or any other portable media player the ODAC won't work.

So, what you need is probably the O2 only.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I've purchased a pair of HD650s but I don't have an amp or DAC, If possible I would like a portable solution to use on my sofa and in bed, Would a Fiio E17 and E09 be good enough? I also saw the combined O2 and ODAC, Is that any good and how does it compare to the Fiio combo?

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Ill be using the headphones connected to my computer at my desk, and the headphones connected to my iphone on my sofa and bed

One of these places needs a DAC, the other one doesn't.
IMO you should get a separate DAC and AMP. 
The difference between the Fiio and O2/ODAC is both in price, to some extent in quality and mostly in ergonomics (size). Based on what you value most, you can decide.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
nonononono. You will most likely need to get a O2 + ODAC or a audio gd 15.

The FiiO E5 provides more than enough clean power for the HD 650 from most sources. I've got both of 'em.

Where is the E5 is lacking? Gain. The only time that was a problem was on quiet DVD rips.

I don't know that an E5 or any FiiO is ideal for the OP. The O2+ODAC, from all accounts, is a far better combination. It's just not always required.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

The FiiO E5 provides more than enough clean power for the HD 650 from most sources. I've got both of 'em.

Where is the E5 is lacking? Gain. The only time that was a problem was on quiet DVD rips.

I don't know that an E5 or any FiiO is ideal for the OP. The O2+ODAC, from all accounts, is a far better combination. It's just not always required.

That little thing cant power the HD650..

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Theoretically it can, but on using it, you'll find the mid-bass and bass lacking. The HD650 is not 300 Ohms flat. It goes as high as 500+ in the bass region.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

The HD 650 doesn't have flat impedance, but it's not a demanding or difficult load by any means.

This isn't magic. I own the E5 and the HD 650. For nearly everything -- all my music -- the E5 provides plenty of power across the spectrum. Even at the point where I can't take it any louder, both still perform together.

But I have some bothersome DVD rips I've made that are just too quiet. Never mind bass or mid-bass or treble or synergy. The E5 can hardly make the vocals audible even if the player's volume is set to 99. With the M-Stage at 0dB gain, it's the same thing. If I set the M-S' gain to 18dB, I can set its volume to 50% and it works. Then music is deafening unless I reduce the volume drastically but that's the way it goes with gain.

Does the E5 work well with the HD 650? Yes, very well ... within the E5's limits.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

The HD 650 doesn't have flat impedance, but it's not a demanding or difficult load by any means.

This isn't magic. I own the E5 and the HD 650. For nearly everything -- all my music -- the E5 provides plenty of power across the spectrum. Even at the point where I can't take it any louder, both still perform together.

But I have some bothersome DVD rips I've made that are just too quiet. Never mind bass or mid-bass or treble or synergy. The E5 can hardly make the vocals audible even if the player's volume is set to 99. With the M-Stage at 0dB gain, it's the same thing. If I set the M-S' gain to 18dB, I can set its volume to 50% and it works. Then music is deafening unless I reduce the volume drastically but that's the way it goes with gain.

Does the E5 work well with the HD 650? Yes, very well ... within the E5's limits.

Do you feel any issues with the bass/mid bass when using with the E5 ? 
Personally I don't have an E5.
But given the impedance issues I can see the HD650 is a difficult load.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Do you feel any issues with the bass/mid bass when using with the E5 ? 
Personally I don't have an E5.
But given the impedance issues I can see the HD650 is a difficult load.

No, the HD 650's bass and its signature fat-n-sassy midbass performed well. The E5 has a bass-boost switch which was too much for most music. I liked it for movies.

No headphone has flat impedance but the HD 650's impedance is nothing special. Real impedance problems aren't very common except in expensive speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back