Sennheiser HD650 amp/dac advice
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

7Sevin

Head-Fier
Hi,

I am basically only going to receive money for Christmas this year, so I'm probably going to buy the HD650's. What would be a good starting amp/dac for the HD650?

Thanks,
Sevin

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Please provide us with a budget.

My first suggestion would be the JDS Labs ODAC+O2 amp combo, but it costs around $300.  This is an amp and DAC combo that you will probably find yourself not needing to upgrade for years to come.

What device do you use to conduct more of your listening?  If the PC is the answer then a USB DAC is a must unless you have a decent soundcard already.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Please provide us with a budget.

My first suggestion would be the JDS Labs ODAC+O2 amp combo, but it costs around $300.  This is an amp and DAC combo that you will probably find yourself not needing to upgrade for years to come.

What device do you use to conduct more of your listening?  If the PC is the answer then a USB DAC is a must unless you have a decent soundcard already.

I don't know what my exact budget will be, but I know I won't be getting any high-end stuff for now. For instance, the Asgard 2 + BiFrost combo would be pushing it.

I'm using a late-model iMac and iPhone for my listening. I know internal parts of the iMac are soldered, so I won't be able to replace its soundcard.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I received a PM (kind of a solicitation) for the Geek Pulse/Geek Out combo. Does anyone have any thoughts on those, maybe compared to the O2/ODAC combo as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back