Sennheiser HD600s upgrade path? Amp? Cables?
Dec 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Frank Jackson

New Head-Fier
Hi  there, I've been reading a lot here which led me to some nice Sennheiser HD-600s, which sound very good and I am very happy with them so thanks!  I wast thinking about adding a headphone amplifier and maybe upgrading the cables, or else moving up the line to some better headphones. 

I do like the way that these sound and was wondering what you all would do- upgrade the headphones or spend the money on an amp and/or cables to go to the next level?  I listen to Rock & Roll (clasic and '80s) by the way.  Mostly at my desk so portability is not important. 

-thanks

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 13
  Sorry, I'm using a computer tower and they plug right into the headphone jack. 

Unless you have a sound card with an amp, or an external amp or amp/DAC that will properly drive a 300 Ohm can, the HD 600 is not for you.

I don't do my serious music listening from a computer, so others will have to help you with that part.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Hi  there, I've been reading a lot here which led me to some nice Sennheiser HD-600s, which sound very good and I am very happy with them so thanks!  I wast thinking about adding a headphone amplifier and maybe upgrading the cables, or else moving up the line to some better headphones. 

I do like the way that these sound and was wondering what you all would do- upgrade the headphones or spend the money on an amp and/or cables to go to the next level?  I listen to Rock & Roll (clasic and '80s) by the way.  Mostly at my desk so portability is not important. 

-thanks

Don't waste money on cable 'upgrades'.

I'd say get a DAC and an amp (separate or combined) so you can stop using your PC's internal sound. Even something cheap like a Fiio E10 should be a decent improvement. There are loads of options out there, though, do some reading on this site!

I'd go this route before buying higher tier headphones, because (a) you're almost certainly not getting the best out of your HD600 right now, and (b) a higher tier headphone will most likely need an amp anyway

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 13
I do like the way that these sound and was wondering what you all would do- upgrade the headphones or spend the money on an amp and/or cables to go to the next level?  I listen to Rock & Roll (classic and '80s) by the way.  Mostly at my desk so portability is not important. 

Budget range? for this audio upgrade.

Do you know the make and model of your motherboard, it would help a little to know a little more about the computer's on-board audio.
So as to make sure you spend enough to make a noticeable improvement in audio quality.

A used ($130) Asus Xonar Essence STX would offer the best DAC/amp, for $130.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $45-$60) and a FiiO E11K amp ($60), would be about the best low cost solution.

Schiit Modi/Magni ($200) or Modi/Vali ($220) external DAC/amp would be something that could be used with more then just a Windows PC.
9external DAC/apm helps keep the audio signal free from "electrical noise", if your computer even has an electrical noise issue.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks everyone, just fyi, my PC has a sound card, an HT Omega Claro Halo.  I just looked it up, it supposedly has a hifi headphone amp and jumpers to set impedance (go figure!).  Not sure how high end it is but it sounds nice so far and I've not messed with the settings yet.   

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 13
What is your budget?  I would definitely look into a quality DAC and amp as the next upgrade, like the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Little Dot MK2.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 13
  Thanks everyone, just fyi, my PC has a sound card, an HT Omega Claro Halo.  I just looked it up, it supposedly has a hifi headphone amp and jumpers to set impedance (go figure!).  Not sure how high end it is but it sounds nice so far and I've not messed with the settings yet.   

Hopefully you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Halo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back