Sennheiser hd600's have a rattle-what are options?
Apr 14, 2007 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LKDog

New Head-Fier
Have developed a rattle in left side of my Senn HD600 headphones.
They sound fine unless it there is a lower frequency (probably below 80hz or so).

Does this mean the driver is bad?
Where does somebody get these fixed?
Is it expensive?

I use them for mixing in a DAW setup.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 12
Take the pad and foam off and check if there are any hairs on the driver. Just blow them off.
I had same problem a couple of weeks ago. Found a bunch of crap accumulated under both drivers foam covers.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 12
I took off pad and foam covering and it was pretty clean.
I used a light pass of compressed air to blow out any dust or anything on the little bubble diaphragm or whatever you call that in the middle.

Still have a buzz/rattle at low frequencies.
basshead.gif

Has anybody ever used Sennheiser repair service?
I bought these used a couple years ago here and probably don't want to sink much money into a repair.
They are nice headphones. If it was reasonable cost I would get them fixed.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Hmmm...

Not sure how to check that. Seems firmly in place.
The cable looks to be stock. It has red end on right and black on left and looks to be captive rather than detachable.
How do you detach it?
Sorry if that is dumb question-I have never played around with switching cables on these.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 12
OK. Cables look good.

Just to make sure I understand what "drivers" means there is
an oval type element covered by a thin black film.

Inside the oval element is a covered little bubble/diaphragm thing.

Everything looks like it is secure and I have cleaned it all as noted.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 12
There's gotta be a hair in there somewhere that can't be seen. If not, I hear the warranty service is very good with Sennheiser.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 12
I agree, you should remove the foam and then gently suck into the driver, I expect you'll get something out. I've always found blowing ineffective, it seemed to move the hairs around inside the enclosure but never really dislodge them. If all else fails I see no need to take the thing apart, just send it back to Sennheiser and get a new one.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 12
By pulling out the foam, you'll only be able to see a small part of the driver. If you don't see anything wrong, it's fairly easy to remove the driver itself from the headphone by first removing the grille and then removing the driver by bending back four small springs. Then you are able to have a real good look, but be careful when handling it.

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Good news I think!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I blew some compressed air from the outside of ear grill at the back of the driver enclosure in the middle. Go figure.

It must have cleared out something as the rattle is gone now completely.
It was especially bad with bass strings on guitar or bass guitar when I was doing recording.

Thanks for the tips and having me keep at it in getting whatever debris was in there removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back