Sennheiser HD600 vs AKG k701
Dec 2, 2006 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
I realize the k701s are in a higher price bracket but I often see the HD600/650 in a high price system and thought some might like a comparison:

I've got the HD600 on loan to decide if HD580s are a good choice (they're such a good deal right now).
Been listening to both for a bit here's my impressions:

HD600:
Very agreeable sound. Non-offensive with full bass and a lower-midrange emphasis. Deep bass is authoritive, nearing DT880 in terms of scale(I felt deep-bass was one of the gretest strengths of the DT880). PRat seems just slightly slow for my liking, speed metal seems to lag ever so-slightly. The sound is very cohesive and despite the lack of high-frequency emphasis, it seems to provide a good sense of detail. The HD600s seems to strike a good balance between critical analysis and the ability to allow enjoyment of average recordings.

AKG K701:
Presentation is much airier. Bass response is more shallow and has a soft attack, yet it retains a good sense of PRaT. Seems to emphasize upper mids and excels with female vocals. Treble seems extended, lacking a definite upper limit but is certainly revealing of poor recordings. Upper bass can be snappy but occasionally sounds plasticky. Sounds less restrained than HD600 with an effortless sound, particularly in the midrange.

Overall I prefer the 701 for my tastes but I look forward to adding a sennheiser to my collection.

My rig is M-Audio 7.1 -> Musical Fidelity X-DAC -> Millet Mybrid /w DBs -> Headphones

Dec 2, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 5
I find it interesting that you percieve such a difference between them. In my opinion there are no two other current production high end headphoens which sound so remarkably similar.

Dec 2, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 5
I agree, they definitely have their similarities, but to me there are some areas where they differed considerably in their presentations of the sound. My comparison emphasizes the differences more than the similarities but they do have similar approachs in many aspects.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 5
In my opinion, it's wasteful to keep such similar headphones. I would stick with the K701, they are better overall.

I'd rather put my extra money into a reference-class amp and hi-rez source.

Dec 3, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 5
I think you pretty much nailed the main difference... material sound.

I find the Senn house sound to be wooden, the Beyer house sound metalic and AKG often plastic sounding.

It's minor in the overall preference but it's there. Pretty much why time after time I stayed with the Senn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back