Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD700 and AMP/DACs
Mar 20, 2017 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Panos T

New Head-Fier
Even though I've enjoyed music and good sound for a while I'm pretty new to this forum. Based on everything I've read so far since joining it seems like you guys have a really great pool of knowledge and experience, so I decided to join (there's also a really great constructive atmosphere which really invited me in :D)!

I'm planning on buying my first midrange setup and have some questions.

The headphones.
This far I've managed to narrow it down to a choice between the Sennheiser HD600s, HD650s and HD700s. I like a bit warmer and deeper sound profile which means I should eliminate the HD600s from the list of potential headphones but I really can't bring myself around to doing it because I know how popular they are.

The AMP/DAC.
As it is right now I'm planning to power them with a JDS Labs Element at my desk and potentially an Oppo HA-2SE while around the house.
I know none of these particular headphones are made to be taken outside, but I'm planning on using the Oppo HA-2SE with other headphones that are more fitting when outside as well.

And yes, I know I should get my music library in FLAC. I'll start working on remaking all my spotify playlists on Tidal and also ripping all my CDs in original quality.

I'm open to ideas and thoughts! What should I switch out in approximately the same price class? Does anyone have personal experience with any of these in combination with each other?

Thank you in advance!

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 4

The headphones.
This far I've managed to narrow it down to a choice between the Sennheiser HD600s, HD650s and HD700s. I like a bit warmer and deeper sound profile which means I should eliminate the HD600s from the list of potential headphones but I really can't bring myself around to doing it because I know how popular they are.

HD650 isn't deep either, and the HD700 has a wider and deeper soundstage but it has a treble spike that skews the overall balance away from "(bit) warm(er)" and well into "bright."

I have Brainwavz HM5 angled earpads on my HD600 and while the soundstage is a little bit deeper, the greater effect is on making some of the lowest bass more audible (could be due to denser foam than anything else; wasn't as bad as the bass boost on worn out Sennheiser pads though) as well as moving the cymbals closer to the center to make them more proportionate with how wide the stage is overall and pushing them back to where the rest of the drums are.

The AMP/DAC.
As it is right now I'm planning to power them with a JDS Labs Element at my desk and potentially an Oppo HA-2SE while around the house.

Neither of those will help the HD700's treble spike, If you don't have any aversion to using EQ though you can just shave it off.

I'm open to ideas and thoughts! What should I switch out in approximately the same price class?

Maybe save up for an LCD-2F instead. Doesn't have the treble spike the HD700 does and is just as easy to drive.

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these in combination with each other?

Tried the O2 with all those headphones which is simialr enough to the Element (as all normal amps should be barring clean power levels). Tonally you might like the HD650 or maybe the HD600, but if the deep soundstage is important, the HD700 has that (problem is the treble). 

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 4

HD650 isn't deep either, and the HD700 has a wider and deeper soundstage but it has a treble spike that skews the overall balance away from "(bit) warm(er)" and well into "bright."

I have Brainwavz HM5 angled earpads on my HD600 and while the soundstage is a little bit deeper, the greater effect is on making some of the lowest bass more audible (could be due to denser foam than anything else; wasn't as bad as the bass boost on worn out Sennheiser pads though) as well as moving the cymbals closer to the center to make them more proportionate with how wide the stage is overall and pushing them back to where the rest of the drums are.

Neither of those will help the HD700's treble spike, If you don't have any aversion to using EQ though you can just shave it off.

Maybe save up for an LCD-2F instead. Doesn't have the treble spike the HD700 does and is just as easy to drive.

Tried the O2 with all those headphones which is simialr enough to the Element (as all normal amps should be barring clean power levels). Tonally you might like the HD650 or maybe the HD600, but if the deep soundstage is important, the HD700 has that (problem is the treble). 

Do you believe a stronger AMP/DAC will help the HD700s or are the treble spikes beyond saving?

Would the planars in the LCD-2Fs be worth it with those AMP/DACs?

Also: is it true that they've changed the drivers in the HD650s? I've heard they used to be darker in the 2003 original but at some point they switched to brighter.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 4

Do you believe a stronger AMP/DAC will help the HD700s or are the treble spikes beyond saving?

No. Like I explained previously, a better DAC-HPamp will just provide more power with less distortion. Unless the highly distorting equipment you're comparing it to is distorting in such a way that it cuts the bass or boosts the treble, either way skewing the balance even more, the the DAC-HPamp will basically just let you hear more of what the HD700 really sounds like.

Even OTL tube amps that were designed specifically to roll off the treble will roll off all the treble, not just the spikes. If it doesn't roll off everything enough, you're still left with spikes relative to everything else, even vs 1000hz, and if it rolls them off enough to level the spikes with 1000hz, everything else around the spikes will be a crevasse on the curve vs 1000hz.

Basically, if you get the HD700 (or even the HD800), use a good DAC-HPamp to make sure you don't get a lot of distortion and noise, then ultimately flatten the spikes with EQ.

Would the planars in the LCD-2Fs be worth it with those AMP/DACs?

Should be given the LCD-2F have a high enough sensitivity. Even if the quoted numbers are actually efficiency (numerically lower than sensitivity) that's still high enough for the Element. It's easier to drive than the HD600, considering that it's at 70ohms and will get more power out of the amp than the HD600 would at 300ohms (barring OTL tube amps, which make peak power at 300ohms), and even then the Sennheiser has lower sensitivity. And yet it works well enough with the O2 and Element.

Also: is it true that they've changed the drivers in the HD650s? I've heard they used to be darker in the 2003 original but at some point they switched to brighter.

The problem with observations like these is that it's often people at meets not swapping out the earpads, and earpad wear changes the sound. I have a 2008 HD600 with, at the time I did back to back listening, reasonably new earpads, and could barely detect any difference with a brand new HD650 (save for some shoutiness that the HD600 has due to the 3500hz peak). Earpads were swapped and both used on both headphones. Use really worn out earpads on either and you'd have more audible differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back