Sennheiser HD600 Amp (Australia)
Dec 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello there, I have been reading over this forums for a while know and have come across the Gilmore Lite and Rega Ear as bieng the best budget headphone amps (under $300) to run the Sennheiser HD600. I was firstly wondering if anyone knows of any places in Australia where these can be ordered from.

I was also recommended by a friend the
(does anyone know soemthing about this amps). At $200 these would be quite the bargain, but they could also poorly drive the headphones (which would kinda defeat the purpose of buying the HD600's).

If anyone could help it would be most appreciated.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 14
Thank you but I've come across that site they however don't stock any amps of interest to me (at least that are in my price range). Any other help would also be appreciated.
redface.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Hi-fi Trader in Newtown stocks the Rega and something else I can't remember around the same price, plus an overpriced (IMO) Mark Levinson. Len Wallis in Lane cove have Perreaux headphone amps and at least used to have the Regas too - google will lead you to both sites easily enough...

Maybe also try coem audio (COEM Audio Australia - High quality HI-FI speakers, cd players, solid state and tube amplifiers) - not the brands you mention, but they change now and then - might be worth an email, or they may have something else to suit you.

Good luck!

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one of these I would consider selling for $300 plus postage. Only a few months old, it's a bit overkill for what I want & too big.

Hard to beat at that price IMO

Dec 9, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you but I've come across that site they however don't stock any amps of interest to me (at least that are in my price range). Any other help would also be appreciated.
redface.gif

Well, I can highly recommend the Meier Audio range of headphone amps and most of them have been designed with the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 in mind.

The Corda Arietta at $255US delivered is a GREAT buy and BANG for your BUCK and suits the HD600 to a "T" and should sneak in at or just around the $300AUD and no additional tax !

Look here ->

Meier-Audio

You won't regret it !

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 14
I have the Arietta powering my HD580s. To be honest, I couldn't hear much difference between the headphone out from my old Sony discman compared to the line out of the discman to the Arietta. The sound was a little clearer and the soundstage a bit wider but that was really all I could pick out.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Arietta powering my HD580s. To be honest, I couldn't hear much difference between the headphone out from my old Sony discman compared to the line out of the discman to the Arietta. The sound was a little clearer and the soundstage a bit wider but that was really all I could pick out.

I don't mean to offend here Ninjapixie, but I'm not at all surprised at your findings considering how you're making the comparison by using a discman as the source. As good as the Meier is or any other amp for that matter, the added power to drive the headphones can bring only so much improvement, the rest is at the source.

I can assure you that if you used say a NAD C542i or Arcam CD73 or Rega Apollo as the CD player connected to the Meier amp you hear a greater difference at your headphones.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Should also add that I would seriously consider the Creek headphone amplifiers - I remember there being one around the $300 mark. Should be an impressive match to you HD600s, I think Hifi Junction (Bondi Junction) still stock them.

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should also add that I would seriously consider the Creek headphone amplifiers - I remember there being one around the $300 mark. Should be an impressive match to you HD600s, I think Hifi Junction (Bondi Junction) still stock them.

x2.

I have used the OBH-21 (w/ regulated PSU) for a few years and it is a great match with the Senns. It is generally neutral-sounding too.

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to offend here Ninjapixie, but I'm not at all surprised at your findings considering how you're making the comparison by using a discman as the source. As good as the Meier is or any other amp for that matter, the added power to drive the headphones can bring only so much improvement, the rest is at the source.

I can assure you that if you used say a NAD C542i or Arcam CD73 or Rega Apollo as the CD player connected to the Meier amp you hear a greater difference at your headphones.

Oh I hear a massive difference when connected to my Cambridge 840c. But I think any dedicated amp connected to a 2k dac will sound better then a portable.

But considering how both the headphone and lineout of my Sony discman sounds better then the analog outs of my Juli@ and Edirol ua1-ex sound cards connected to the Arietta, I consider the discman a decent source.

The amp should be making a bigger difference with the discman as a source, especially considering the HD580 is supposedly hard to drive, but it isn't which leads me to believe the amp isn't all that great.

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 14
I've been recommended both the Meier Cantante and Arietta as well as the Firestone Audio Little Country Headphone Amplifier and pre-amplifier as well as the FubarIII. If anyone could help me further with regards to which would be the best for my headphones for the cost it would be appreciated.

Also thankyou for all who have taken time to already post.
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 14
I second the Arietta in single ended mode. A Millet Hybrid could be another nice idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back