Sennheiser HD598's with Asus xonar essence st?
Feb 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
Do you have (or measured) the specs of the front output of the Xonar DS, or just assume that it works well because "low impedance is easy to drive" ?

I've own the DX, DS, DX & STX and I've use several different headphones in each one.
So I would like to think I have some credibility to what works with Xonar cards.
Personally I would never buy another Xonar DS, it does not come with Dolby, but nothing really wrong with the card,
I just think the DG is a better value, you can adjust the gain for the headphones.

I think the DS can power headphones (like the HD-598) as well as any other non-amped (line out) headphone jack.
The HD-598 is only 50-Ohm, but I would never buy one to use unless I had a headphone amplifier to go with it.
The Senn HD-518 is a better value for working with un-amped (line out) headphone jacks.

But if someone is set on using the HD-598 with the Xonar DS, it will work "decently".

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 27
U didn't mention anything about the DX?, Could it run the Senn's? It has all the funky dolby things in it, and as far as i know HP amp?

Quote:
I've own the DX, DS, DX & STX and I've use several different headphones in each one.
So I would like to think I have some credibility to what works with Xonar cards.
Personally I would never buy another Xonar DS, it does not come with Dolby, but nothing really wrong with the card,
I just think the DG is a better value, you can adjust the gain for the headphones.

I think the DS can power headphones (like the HD-598) as well as any other non-amped (line out) headphone jack.
The HD-598 is only 50-Ohm, but I would never buy one to use unless I had a headphone amplifier to go with it.
The Senn HD-518 is a better value for working with un-amped (line out) headphone jacks.

But if someone is set on using the HD-598 with the Xonar DS, it will work "decently".

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
U didn't mention anything about the DX?, Could it run the Senn's? It has all the funky Dolby things in it, and as far as i know HP amp?

To me there is not enough evidence to support that the DX has a true HP amp (headphone amplifier).
I'm not going to claim it as a fact. I just can not find real evidence on this to support that it has a HP amp.
Will the HD-598 work on a DX, sure, will the DX bring out the best of the HD-598??
That is why I push the DG, it's at least as good as the DX with headphones and both DX & DG do Dolby,
the DG might even do better with certain headphones (three gain settings for low Ohm headphones).
It's my understanding that the DX has a higher failure rate then the DG.
To me the DX is better if you wanted good sound for analog 7.1 speakers.
The best part, the DG is only $20 after mail in rebate.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you cannot give an objective answer
normal_smile%20.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
U didn't mention anything about the DX?, Could it run the Senn's? It has all the funky dolby things in it, and as far as i know HP amp?

I do not recommend the DX, unless you also get an external amplifier like the FiiO E6 or E11. The DX is a PCIe version of the D1, and that definitely has 100 Ohm output impedance, I have measured it. The HD598 will work with it, though, in the sense that you get sound that is loud enough, but the bass will be emphasized by ~6 dB at 90 Hz, and not very well controlled. The HD5xx need low output impedance for tight bass.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
So you cannot give an objective answer
normal_smile%20.gif

Have I measured or seen the spec's on the Front Speaker/Headphone Output on the Xonar DS, nope, not at all.
If you can point me to a website that has that info, I'll be gland to read it right away.
Have I been reading sound card reviews for the past 15 years, yes.
Have I been building and getting paid to build Decktop PCs for the past 15 years, yep.
Do a lot of different sound cards make by different manufacturers use the same technology, yep.
Do I own a Xonar DS, yes
Do I own the Senn HD-558 which is also most exactly like the HD-598, yes.
Can I make a decent guess on how well the HD-598 will work with the DS, I think so.

If you can present facts about the DS that I do not know, please do.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

If you can point me to a website that has that info, I'll be gland to read it right away.

If it was available, I would have already posted it. Since it is not, I can only assume that it is not unlikely to be comparable to similar cards (D1, DX, etc.), and as such is safer to be avoided in this particular case.

Quote:

Can I make a decent guess on how well the HD-598 will work with the DS, I think so.

Of course, you can give subjective impressions, but if the comparisons are not done carefully, those can be biased and thus not very reliable. Also, what is "decent" for one person, may not be so for another. But if you can notice obvious differences between the DG, DS, and DX at matched levels, like one has clearly more mid-bass than another with the HD558, that is still useful information.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
If it was available, I would have already posted it. Since it is not, I can only assume that it is not unlikely to be comparable to similar cards (D1, DX, etc.), and as such is safer to be avoided in this particular case.
Of course, you can give subjective impressions, but if the comparisons are not done carefully, those can be biased and thus not very reliable. Also, what is "decent" for one person, may not be so for another. But if you can notice obvious differences between the DG, DS, and DX at matched levels, like one has clearly more mid-bass than another with the HD558, that is still useful information.

I do not see that big of a difference for headphones sound between the DG, DS, DX.
But I do not have them hooked up to three different windows PC at the same time so that I can compare on the spot.
So if people want a recommendation for a sound card under $100, I just tell them to get the DG ($20 after mail in rebate).
As I can see no good reason for spending $50-$80 for the DS or DX, which really do not seem to offer anything better for headphone use.
I'm guess the DAC in the DG is going to be at least better then anything built into a motherboard.
They can always set the DG to "speaker out" in the control panel and hook up an external headphone amplifier, E11, O2, tube amp.
If someone does not like their DG anymore and want to upgrade, they can sell it to a friend for $10.

I'm currently house sitting in front of a computer that I installed a DG into two days ago, listening to Lady GaGa,
switching between the KRK KNS 8400 and Samson SC850C (the KNS 8400s are a little better).
My DX and DS are back at home grathering dust.

Another way to look at it, for a few dollar more then you pay for the DX, you can get the DG with the E11, better value.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 27
its shame that they dont sell any Fiio products, and any portaple amps here......(atleast i havent found one). So are there any other good soundcards for my 598's than the essence one? Does Auzentech do any good soundcard with HP amp.......?

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 27
First time poster.

I have the STX not ST. I recently purchased the HD 598.

I was wondering if having the gain set to the second settings +12db (for 64 - 300 ohms) will damage the headphones. The sound seems to be richer on this setting compared to the recomended setting (zero gain) for the nominal impendence of the HD 598, 50 Ohms.

The volume I use when on the +12dB setting is quite low, ~8% where as on zero gain is around ~30%.

Some clarification on this would be great!

Cheers,
Sykik

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 27
The dolby headphone things is totally worthless, when used with the hd595, and I'd bet with the the hd598.
Problem with a headphone that has already a big soundstage, is that it sounds too much artificial.

Other Good soundcard : from creative I  guess.

@Sykik:
Quote:
The volume I use when on the +12dB setting is quite low, ~8% where as on zero gain is around ~30%.

I'd keep the normal gain, but there's not problem if you wish to increase gain, as soon as you are careful to not increase the  volume too much (or accidentally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back