Sennheiser HD598s weird crackling sound
Jan 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VxeR

New Head-Fier
Hello.
I just bought a pair of HD598s, my first high end headphones.
I noticed a weird crackling sound in some songs, like Eminems Sing for the Moment, when the bass drum kicks. Are they faulty? How can I eliminate it?
Or maybe it's just a low quality record?

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Can you try a different source to see if it still is there?

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 8
I looked up the song on youtube and I hear a pretty noticeable staticy sound with the bass as well. Pretty sure it's the recording, I have been noticing a lot of static in some of my louder music ever since I bought high end headphones, even when playing from the cd. I don't know much about this stuff but my guess is its a result of the loudness wars and the music clipping when it peaks.

Edit: Try and look up a song from Metallica's Death Magnetic album, it's probably the worst out of all the music I have listened to. Very noticeable static and distortion especially with the bass drum. It's pretty much unbearable to listen to with a decent pair of headphones.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 8
I looked up the song on youtube and I hear a pretty noticeable staticy sound with the bass as well. Pretty sure it's the recording, I have been noticing a lot of static in some of my louder music ever since I bought high end headphones, even when playing from the cd. I don't know much about this stuff but my guess is its a result of the loudness wars and the music clipping when it peaks.

Edit: Try and look up a song from Metallica's Death Magnetic album, it's probably the worst out of all the music I have listened to. Very noticeable static and distortion especially with the bass drum. It's pretty much unbearable to listen to with a decent pair of headphones.
Well that's reassuring.
My pc is turned off now and I don't feel like unplugging them so I'll try to listen to that tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back