Sennheiser HD598 upgrade
Mar 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

seunghoyoum

New Head-Fier

Ughh.... I feel so sorry that I even said that I want to upgrade these phones. The design of these is really special, adding that unconscious warmness to the sound.  I even have a $500 dollar amp to boost it, but I'm not really finding that much of a benefit from the amp. Anyways, I'm looking for upgrade that could be easily driven by a normal $500 dollar amp. People say things like the HE-500 are headphones like that are really hard to find the key amp to make it shine. (HE-500 was really my goal to purchase before becoming an adult, but oh well I don't have moeny to buy an amp worthy for it.)

I listen to all genres but here are some things I wish from each genre

Electronic-Has to be dynamic. No boomy bass, but a strong one. HATE BOOMY BASS, I REPEAT. The HD598 seems to be fairly doing nice on this field, because of it's adequate bass. But need a more deep,strong bass yet balanced one.

Rock- Mids have to be warm yet not distorted. When guitars suddenly just  blast out, like the beginning of "From the Inside"-Linkin Park(I suggest you listen to it to understand what Im saying), I have to say I'm not satisfied with the highs and mids from the amped 598; a slightest of distortion went through my ears.

Soft, Vocal, Acoustic-Vocals need to be rich, sparkling, you know that feeling. The 598 actually are good in vocals but they have just a bit too much of airiness that kinda sounds if the song was coming out in a hallway. Maybe that's an exaggeration but you get the idea.

Ballad- Vocals. As I said, too much airiness, but actually am satisfied with the qaulity now. Just need a better, outstanding one.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

*Affordable Budget for this poor teen=under $1000.

*Soundstage is of course is important when listening to songs with many instruments, but don't need to be that great. Focusing too much on the soundstage bothers me from actually listening to the song.

*Clarity, detail. One of the most important things for me. When a guitar plays, I want to have that feeling as if a guitar or bass player just plucked the string right in front of me. Vocals need to sound live, crisp, and airiness that doesn't sound hollow. I don't necessarily want separation, but I just want everything to be heard.

*Treble>Mid=Bass is the priority. Still, means each one has to be outstanding.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 16
   Quote:
I'm looking for upgrade that could be easily driven by a normal $500 dollar amp.

*Affordable Budget for this poor teen=under $1000.

*Soundstage is of course is important when listening to songs with many instruments, but don't need to be that great. Focusing too much on the soundstage bothers me from actually listening to the song.

*Clarity, detail. One of the most important things for me. When a guitar plays, I want to have that feeling as if a guitar or bass player just plucked the string right in front of me. Vocals need to sound live, crisp, and airiness that doesn't sound hollow. I don't necessarily want separation, but I just want everything to be heard.

*Treble>Mid=Bass is the priority. Still, means each one has to be outstanding.

You could look into Sennheiser's new HD 700, there's a big stupid thread about it and it's coming out in a month or three with a list price of $999. From early impressions it should meet the above requirements.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the recommendation!
Just one question.... I heard the HD800 has a really light bass. Would hd700 be similar? I heard LCD2's bass are groundbreaking.

Quote:
   Quote:

You could look into Sennheiser's new HD 700, there's a big stupid thread about it and it's coming out in a month or three with a list price of $999. From early impressions it should meet the above requirements.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 16
The bass on my HD 800 is great, very extended and realistic. It gives you all the low end that's on the recording but doesn't emphasize it. It takes the right setup though. The only time it sounds thin to me is if the recording is thin, or if I've been listening to my LCD-2 r.1 for an extended period of time.

The HD 700 is supposed to be less picky, have more impactful bass, and be easier to drive than the HD 800. If you check the thread out there are some comparisons of the two by those that have heard both scattered amongst the nonsense:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589738/sennheiser-hd-700-officially-unveiled-at-ces-2012

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 16
I have the HD598 too, if you want an "upgrade", get the HE-500 and be done with it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I have the HD598 too, if you want an "upgrade", get the HE-500 and be done with it.

I really thought about getting the HE-500; they're only $700 and reviews said that were outstanding for their price.
The only problem is I heard they need the right amping to pull out their full potential. Is that right? Cause I can't buy another expensive amp :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
The bass on my HD 800 is great, very extended and realistic. It gives you all the low end that's on the recording but doesn't emphasize it. It takes the right setup though. The only time it sounds thin to me is if the recording is thin, or if I've been listening to my LCD-2 r.1 for an extended period of time.

The HD 700 is supposed to be less picky, have more impactful bass, and be easier to drive than the HD 800. If you check the thread out there are some comparisons of the two by those that have heard both scattered amongst the nonsense:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589738/sennheiser-hd-700-officially-unveiled-at-ces-2012

So in a way for amateurs bass is LCD2>HD700>HD800
That's good to know.
How about treble wise? Between LCD2 and HD700?

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 16

The HE-500 is the most efficient Hifiman, as long as the amp can output 1W, you should be find. The Schiit Asgard has enough power to drive them to full potential
Quote:

I really thought about getting the HE-500; they're only $700 and reviews said that were outstanding for their price.
The only problem is I heard they need the right amping to pull out their full potential. Is that right? Cause I can't buy another expensive amp :frowning2:

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
 So in a way for amateurs bass is LCD2>HD700>HD800
That's good to know.
How about treble wise? Between LCD2 and HD700?

I haven't heard it but early impressions from the prototypes say the treble is a bit spiky. The production model has been delayed a couple of months and speculation is that they are working on smoothing it out. If they succeed in this the HD 700 should be a great headphone as that is the only consistent complaint among the early reviewers. You should really check out that thread.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

You should really check out that thread.

I did! Not in depth I'm gonna see it again but I have a simple question. What's sibilance? Isn't it that disturbing sound when the treble's too high? Yeah my headphones definitely need to be sibilance-proof up to a pretty high volume. If HD700 has a bit of sibilance, I'll have to give up the vote because sibilance means lack of clarity and detail for me

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Hopefully that's why the production model's release was delayed. From what I read not all testers found it sibilant so there may be other variables involved like source material, equipment chain and individual tolerances.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?21593-Definition-of-sibilance-please

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

I did! Not in depth I'm gonna see it again but I have a simple question. What's sibilance? Isn't it that disturbing sound when the treble's too high? Yeah my headphones definitely need to be sibilance-proof up to a pretty high volume. If HD700 has a bit of sibilance, I'll have to give up the vote because sibilance means lack of clarity and detail for me

sibilance A coloration that resembles or exaggerates the vocal s-sound.
It means the letter "s" in vocal will sound more spiky and extended with sibilant headphones.
I also own the 598, and looking into the HE-500 too. Seems like possible choices for amps to go along with it are Schiit Lyr or Hifiman EF-5

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
sibilance A coloration that resembles or exaggerates the vocal s-sound.
It means the letter "s" in vocal will sound more spiky and extended with sibilant headphones.
I also own the 598, and looking into the HE-500 too. Seems like possible choices for amps to go along with it are Schiit Lyr or Hifiman EF-5

You own the hd598's too? I love the treble and vocals they are soooooooooo soothing and according to your definition of sibilance, I think there's no sibilance and the highs are so warm and soothing. I really ain't that "bass" group.
How would HE-500 do with treble? Do you have any headphones that far exceed in treble? I heard the Q-701's, they were niceeee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back