Sennheiser HD598 (Soundstage Question)
Dec 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

axc1080

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of HD598s about 3 weeks ago and it's been pretty good. I have one small concern, though. It might be a bit tough to explain, but...

When I listen to the cans, it feels like more of the music is happening in the left ear cup. The bass and lead vocals sound panned to the left a tad (between -10 and -20, I'd say) in the channel space. It's not enough to be detrimental to the listening experience, but enough to be noticeable. Although the 2 ear cups/drivers seem to be reproducing at the same volume, it seems like the left driver dominates a bit, especially since it contains most of the bass and the lead vocal line. This isn't to say the right driver is weaker or anything of the sort. It still sounds great and works its magic. 

That scenario doesn't really occur when listening to jazz or classical. Sometimes the bass is nice and center. Heck, sometimes it's even panned to right more! (Which leads me to believe that what I'm experiencing isn't a defect). It seems to happen when I listen to rock/metal and the like. It's the same with each song. I'm new to open-back headphones, so I'm not sure if that's just part of the sound-stage or the sound signature of the 598s to place the lead vocals and bass slightly to the left? With my little experience, I'd assume it's just the sound-stage and presentation of instruments unique to the 598. But hey, why not check and be sure it's not a defect, right? 

Has anyone else gone through this with their 598s? Any help would be appreciated. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Yeah I used to get this with the 598's too. Normal as far as I'm concerned. I get it too with the Hd650's, although much less noticably so.

Thanks for the input, man. So maybe this is a Sennheiser thing? I'm curious to hear from an HD800 user to see if they experience something similar (though highly unlikely). I'll go try the 598s out with some video games/movies and see how it does in that area. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 28
Mixing techniques may contribute as well as differences in hearing from left to right ears. The soundstaging of the 598 will accentuate these as well. I would get similar effects with various headphones and it would drive me nuts ha. A left right balance feature on a source or amp will help.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
Mixing techniques may contribute as well as differences in hearing from left to right ears. The soundstaging of the 598 will accentuate these as well. I would get similar effects with various headphones and it would drive me nuts ha. A left right balance feature on a source or amp will help.

Well, I don't know about the left/right ear hearing difference. On my other phones, the Audio Technica M50s, you don't really get that (Yes, closed-back, I know...but still) The FiiO E07k comes with that feature of balancing the channels, if I remember correctly. Argh, why can't it come out before the holidays?! I might just go with the E17...

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
that's bizarre and I couldn't stand it. that hasn't been my experience.

You're saying 'that hasn't been my experience' meaning you own/owned the HD598s (Just clarifying)? It is a little odd, to be honest. But I don't know if it's worth the hassle of notifying Sennheiser, sending it into them, and waiting for them to send it back and blah blah blah. That's why I'm trying to see if this is a normal occurrence or thing that just has to do with the 598 sound-stage. So far, the score appears Normal occurrence: 1 /// Possible defect: 1

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

You're saying 'that hasn't been my experience' meaning you own/owned the HD598s (Just clarifying)? It is a little odd, to be honest. But I don't know if it's worth the hassle of notifying Sennheiser, sending it into them, and waiting for them to send it back and blah blah blah. That's why I'm trying to see if this is a normal occurrence or thing that just has to do with the 598 sound-stage. So far, the score appears Normal occurrence: 1 /// Possible defect: 1

I've had the HD203, HD219, HD 555, HD 598s, PX100ii.  All Sennheiser. Never had that problem.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 28
Oh man, then maybe this really is a faulty pair 
frown.gif

It actually sounds like the right driver lacks the bass impact of the left driver. My 598s are within warranty, so I really hope this counts as a valid reason for replacement. 

Anybody else wanna contribute some helpful information? 

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 28
Come on guys, throw me a bone here. I really want to figure this out. If you own/owned the HD598, did you ever experience the problem I stated above? A simple yes or no will suffice

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 28
I don't own 598s but have 2 demos in 2 stores. The demos don't have the issue you describe. Do you have other cans that place the vocal track in the center? One driver may have an issue.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 28
I have owned the 598 for about a year and this doesn't happen unless the music is mixed that way.
Driver impedance could be off enough from one another to notice in yours maybe.

just read the other response yeah check cable, and see if another set of cans do the same thing first.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 28
Like the poster above me said, the impedance might be higher in your right driver which could make it sound quieter. I own the 598s and I've never experienced this. You might want to try another set if possible and see if you experience the same thing. You also should consider that it might be a problem with your source. Typically, if there isn't anything wrong with the drivers, most channel problems stem from the source. Try out a different player and see if the same thing happens.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 28
Thanks for all the responses/suggestions, guys. It's much appreciated. I wouldn't say it's driver impedance, because the right driver isn't actually quieter than the left. It's just that the bass and main vocal line are more prominent in the left. Everything that comes out of the right driver plays at the same volume as the left. I also checked the source issue, and it's the same for my PC, as well as my iPhone. I also tried wiggling and detaching the cable that connects to the cans. No solution :frowning2: I'll email Sennheiser tomorrow, and I assume they'll make me send 'em in to take a look. Maybe it really is just a defective cable. Again, thanks for all the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back