Sennheiser HD598 sound card advice
May 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

-Rellik-

New Head-Fier
HI, I was wondering if a sound blaster Z sound card would be enough to drive the Sennheiser HD598 headphones or if I would still need a amp/dac combo as well and if I do need this can you guys give me an affordable suggestion. Also I am very much a noob when it comes to this stuff so any other help in this matter would be awesome. I will be using this primarily for PC gaming mixed with some movies, but very little music. Thank you very much!

May 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 3
  HI, I was wondering if a sound blaster Z sound card would be enough to drive the Sennheiser HD598 headphones or if I would still need a amp/dac combo as well and if I do need this can you guys give me an affordable suggestion. Also I am very much a noob when it comes to this stuff so any other help in this matter would be awesome. I will be using this primarily for PC gaming mixed with some movies, but very little music. Thank you very much!

For $85, the SB-Z is a good value and it's headphone amplifier can easily drive your 50-Ohm HD-598s.
Tigerdirect has the SB-ZxR for $149.99 after two separate $50 rebates ($249.99-$50-$50=$149.99), expires Thursday night.
The SB-ZxR has a better DAC chip and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z (& SB-Zx).
All three (SB-Z, SB-Zx, SB-ZxR) Z cards have the same (matching) SBX headphone surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back